Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > lazy driver
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GSKM

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Years ago my mum had a 1.0 Micra. It would be used to drive to town, about 2-3 miles max depending on if it was to work or shopping. She would do 30mph in 4th gear and would change up at 1500-2000. When she did go out of town she complained it didn't go well. Her trying to accelerate in 4th or 5th didn't help. The poor car was so choked it hardly ran at all and never got warm.

I borrowed it one week to take it from Grantham to Lyneham, Wilts. I found that I could not get it go go above 60mph, but the speed gradulally crept up. On the A46 to Leicester, once the car warmed up I drove it in 3rd, varying the speed just to give it a good raggin.... Clear out. Going back a week later the car was completely different, responsive and revvy as a 16 valve should be.

Cars need to be run and get warmed up properly. My mums low mileage Micra would have had more wear than a high mileage one as it never go warm.

Post #332388 4th Oct 2017 10:25 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Yep, had same issue with a hire car that must have never left Munich. Took it over the Brenner Pass and wow a different car. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332391 4th Oct 2017 10:28 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Years ago, when I had my first Astra GTE I was told by Vauxhall to rag it every so often. Its what it was desgined to do, and it burnt all the crap deposits off.
The car never once let me down in 5 years of owning it.

Post #332394 4th Oct 2017 10:43 am
rjonesy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I must confess that I get to tow the caravan nearly every month, currently touring Scotland this week about 1500miles. Pretty sure no DPF fitted so I've no real concerns, all running fine and dandy at moment. Cool
My only concern really is the 10 year service next year that I plan to do myself, does any one have any tips advice or promps Exclamation Question Idea Arrow

Post #332458 4th Oct 2017 11:49 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

RogB wrote:
Years ago, when I had my first Astra GTE I was told by Vauxhall to rag it every so often. Its what it was desgined to do, and it burnt all the crap deposits off.
The car never once let me down in 5 years of owning it.

Yep , sound advice IMO - Otherwise known as an "Italian tune up" - just don't do from cold.
Ive never been afraid to use the "full rev range " at times - never had a turbo or engine problem Jules

Post #332542 5th Oct 2017 3:05 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

rjonesy wrote:
I must confess that I get to tow the caravan nearly every month, currently touring Scotland this week about 1500miles. Pretty sure no DPF fitted so I've no real concerns, all running fine and dandy at moment. Cool
My only concern really is the 10 year service next year that I plan to do myself, does any one have any tips advice or promps Exclamation Question Idea Arrow

Look in the Maintenance & Modifications section. Currently there is thread on "10 yr service " for an i6 and also one on "cam belt change procedure" for a TD4.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #332562 5th Oct 2017 7:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12