Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diesel ,what's the best.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Diesel ,what's the best.

Has anyone got thoughts on which is the best .supermarket against premium makes.ie performance and economy .

Post #331623 21st Sep 2017 10:37 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I find that I get better and smoother running with premium makes than with supermarket stuff but I don't have any scientific proof to back that up.

J

Post #331624 21st Sep 2017 10:51 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Next time you are tempted to fill up at Morrisons - look at the pump which states they mix biodiesel with theirs - my car definitely runs better since I stopped using supermarket fuels No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #331632 21st Sep 2017 11:48 am
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Shell V Power Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #331643 21st Sep 2017 12:55 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Non supermarket, better running but is there better MPG ? and what damage if any would a biofuel mix do? Interesting this. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #331644 21st Sep 2017 1:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

making no other changes to driving style i got 2mpg more switching from Tesco to Shell Standard Diesel

using Shell 100% now, then went Shell Premium for a few months and now back to it occasional 2 full tanks of their Premium Diesel and makes no further difference in the mpg, or to my ears engine noise so don't use it all the time Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #331650 21st Sep 2017 2:43 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

A response from Morrisons on their fuel

In regards to the quality of fuel sold at Morrisons I would like to offer the following comments, Morrisons unleaded and diesel is supplied to us by nearly every one of the refiners and blenders that operate in the UK.
We source locally from established and reputable refiners and blenders
Our fuels are manufactured and guaranteed to British Standard EN228 and EN590, precisely the specifications that will be found in all vehicle manuals. These current specifications permit upto 5% renewable content in petrol, ethanol, and upto 7% renewable
Content in diesel, Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (vegetable oil).
European law requires all road fuels to contain such renewable feed stocks.
Currently Morrisons sells 10% of all motor fuels sold in the UK to motorists, fleet operators, hauliers, local authorities and to our own staff.
Also in relation to the winter fuel I can advise that Cold flow additives in our Diesel guarantee the properties of Diesel down to minus 15 degrees centigrade.

Post #331652 21st Sep 2017 2:47 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I use supermarket fuel, normally Morrisons or Asda and use millers diesel additive which cost about 13 a bottle giving about 5 or 6 doses (1 per tank of fuel)

if ive not used the millers for a while then ill chuck a whole bottle in a tank full which makes a very sudden impact on performance, MPG and noise levels then drop back to 1 dose per tankful.

Post #331654 21st Sep 2017 3:06 pm
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Supermarket fuel

Asa lurker from the Disco2 boys club and will most likely move to an FL2 when my Td5 stops can I put my tuppenceworth in.
I do not ever use supermarket fuel, either She'll or BP.
However, I am a paid up member of the "add 2so" each time I fill up.
Adding two stroke oil helps lubrication of pump etc. Especially with today's low sulphur fuels.
Just Google. " two stroke oil in diesel" and you will be reading for ages.
I suggest that you try it out, by the way I buy my 2so from Morrisons.

Cheers

Jim A
2002 Td5 auto
1996 300 Tdi auto (gone)

Post #332266 2nd Oct 2017 9:54 pm
EYorkshire

7 years of ownership with 3 FL2's in that time, I fill up wherever I am at the time at any fuel station be it Supermarket or branded. Never noticed any difference in power and not interested in economy or adding snake oil.

Post #332269 2nd Oct 2017 11:08 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I have never noticed any difference with supermarket fuel over some branded fuels, before I moved out here my supermarket fuel was Shell as Waitrose use them on all their fuel sites, I certainly noticed the difference when using Shell to Dover and supermarket in France getting some 4mpg less on French fuel.
I have no idea out here, there is no Shell, the odd Esso and my average is about 30 mpg but it is not comparable to the UK speed bumps abound in towns and villages so the average speed is about 15mph suburban, there is no real urban and max speed is 100kph on motorways and the occasional 80kph the rest is 65 and 50kph with the odd 30kph thrown in at zebra crossings.
From what I remember the FL2 has a higher official tolerance to bio fuels than the average car being about 5% higher than the EU standard limitations. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #332274 3rd Oct 2017 5:31 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Every third or fourth tank I use Shell V as I was told it would give the engine a bit of a clean.

Over on the sister site, disco3.com there has been a lot of discussion over the years about adding 2 stroke oil when fueling up to aid smoothness and performance.

Have a look at this link.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic82489.html?highlight=2+stroke Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #332279 3rd Oct 2017 7:32 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

After my EGR Valve went this spring I started putting in an additive every few tank fulls. Getting good MPG. Came from my Indie in a plastic 2 litre milk bottle so no idea of providence but he buys by the 50 gallon barrel. Suspect the EGR failed though more to do with its electrics than filth. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332285 3rd Oct 2017 9:08 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Petrol:

I had my previous car for 18 years & used 91 for the first half of its life & some E10 which was hideous stuff, you could not help but feel the poor engine suffering! My mechanic told me to put some 98 through the car every now & then. I started measuring usage & found that even though 98 cost a lot more the extra milage I got paid for the increased price of 98. There may have been a very slight advantage with 98 but it would have been close.

The other benefit, the fuel filter did not clog up anywhere near as much even though I replaced it every year. Previously I simply had to be changed due to poor quality fuel.

The car spent about the second half of its life of a quarter of a million kilometres using 98 & a bit of 95.

Another benefit the car in effect had a longer ranger using 98, I noticed this driving to Queensland a few times using different octanes on different trips.

I use 98 in the Freeelander. In the outback it can be difficult to get 98 & I use 95 rather than 91 which I avoid like the plague.

If you intend on keeping your Freelander for a long time stick the better fuel in it. It is false economy using cheaper poor quality fuels. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #332288 3rd Oct 2017 9:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1