Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EGR Blanking - ALL HERE
EGR Blank or Not To EGR Blacnk that is the question?
Blank EGR
81%
 81%  [62]
Leave EGR as Standard
18%
 18%  [14]
Total Votes: 76

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 15 <123 ... 12 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
Tomtom

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

I'm concerned about simply blocking off the EGR plumbing- nothing is telling the car that the EGR is no longer working and the valve is just opening against a complete blockage. I can't help but think this isn't good for something.

Post #326632 6th Jul 2017 11:07 am
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

TomTom. I have same year as yours. I blanked my Egr some time ago. Never had a problem. Runs smoother, less smoke and passed emissions tests with no problems. Doesn't cost much to try and if your not happy take it out.
JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #326705 7th Jul 2017 6:09 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: EGR Blanking - ALL HERE

Jibberingloon wrote:
EGR Blank or Not To EGR Blank that is the question?

Should I blank it off or should I not blank it off?

What do I have to gain and lose?

I have been doing a little research but what does everyone do?
just done mine, no dpf, no hole in plate,pulls quicker from standing start,fuel econ from 34mpg to 39.9, and that's up and down a few devon hills

Post #330312 2nd Sep 2017 10:33 pm
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I've made enquiries about an ECU remap and was told the EGR valve can also be completlty shut via an ECU command, no need for a blanking plate.
I've got it booked in to be done in a couple of weeks.
I'll report back with result.

Post #330314 2nd Sep 2017 10:49 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

That's presumably only if the valve is not stuck open. Most of the problems seem to occur because the valve is not working as it should. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #330321 3rd Sep 2017 8:12 am
Delboy

So I had the ECU remap carried out yesterday together with permanent blanking of EGR valve via command through ECU, no need for blanking plate.
The main dealer fitted a brand new EGR valve before I bought the car last week as the ECU warning lamp came on at the start of my test drive, lucky or what! No concerns over the valve not closing then.
The extra 33bhp is certainly very noticeable. The car is also far more responsive at low rev's. So far so good.
Well worth the £225 spent.

Post #331245 15th Sep 2017 7:01 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
The extra 33bhp is certainly very noticeable. The car is also far more responsive at low rev's. So far so good.
Well worth the £225 spent

Hi do you have a link for the ECU remap please, is the remap wrote specially for the TD4 FL2 ? or a universal map

Post #331882 26th Sep 2017 1:33 pm
Delboy

Hi Arctic, I use a mobile technician, Supercharged Performance in Norfolk. I've also used him for my Jag XKR and can recommend him (no affiliation).
Whoever you use, avoid any kind of plug in hardware and generic maps for the vehicle.
I suggest you request a custom map specifically made for your particular vehicle.
They will copy the existing ECU map, send it off to a technician at a head office somewhere who will tweak that map into one specifically for your car.
Being a diesel you can choose between improved economy, pure performance or a blend of the two, which is what I went for.
Very noticeable particularly at low rev's and speeds.
The torque increase was also significant but I can't recall how much at this time.
I would strongly recommend a TerraClean first though. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #331897 26th Sep 2017 4:12 pm
Mummylula

United Kingdom 
EGR blanking plate whistle

A EGR blanking plate was fitted on our 2009 Freelander 2 a few months ago before we purchased it. All seemed well until a couple of weeks ago. We started to hear a high pitched whistle. After a bit of investigation with a long screwdriver we found that the whistle was coming from the EGR blanking plate and on close examination we could also see a little seeping of black muck coming out from the blanking plate joint. The blanking plate was removed, the fitting was tight, the plate was flat, reattached the pipe and the whistling stoped. There was no gasket seal fitted. Should there have been a seal? If so is this the reason the whistle started? If a seal is needed where can we obtain the correct one from please? For the time being wew will drive without the plate for a quieter life. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Post #372423 22nd May 2019 12:34 pm
OverByDan

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Whistler White

I've had a lovely bill from my garage for my Freelander as apparently the EGR cooler is cracked and leaking coolant, and as they're in that part of the engine, they've recommended changing the EGR at the same time.

On top of this, they're doing a DPF clean as its full..

Should I look at blanking? Total cost is coming in at £1,500 with the labour, and people are saying I should just blank it..what sort of cost is that looking at?

Ideally I want to get back to my finance director (wife) and say we'll get it sorted now, but if it happens again, it'll cost X to blank it For Sale: 2012 Freelander 2 GS (https://www.freel2.com/forum/post431941.html)
Current: 2013 (62 plate) Freelander 2 GS
Me: Web Developer by day, Search & Rescue comms manager for Severn Area Rescue Assocation by night

Post #373138 6th Jun 2019 10:44 am
bigroly

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Just did the EGR blank on my '08 TD4 (no DPF) on the weekend. Took it out for a little highway test spin after, difference is night and day! fuel consumption went down, less sluggish in the lower rev band (<2000 rpm). Wish I had read more about the blanking option when I bought the car 40,000km's ago!

Post #374396 1st Jul 2019 12:19 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I thought blanking the egr was going to be a MoT fail now? Sure I've read that on here. Mind you it would have to be a keen tester to notice it. Is it under the engine cover? If it can't be seen it can't be checked at MoT. Ditto the software fix.
See https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/technical-gui...-egr-valve (not sure what date the page is but looks recent to me.) Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #374418 1st Jul 2019 7:52 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The blanking plate can be seen if you know where to look. That said, my car just passed no problem.

Post #374419 1st Jul 2019 7:57 pm
Lr_defender

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green
EGR - No DPF but engine management light on after blanking ?

Hello all - have an 08 (57 plate) FL2 td4 HSE Auto 125k .

have recently noticed that the car has been sluggish on cold start (chugging) and then there is a delay in accelerator response. Stuck hawkeye on it and it produced EGR faults ( sorry dont have the codes with me ATM. )

After reading all 14 pages of this thread, given its age and mileage, I decided to completely blank off the EGR. The plate arrived from the same Eb*y supplier everyone recommended and I duly scuttled off to fit it. 10 mins later we were off on the test run - massive dfference ! No Lag and faster starting ( less cranking lag)and no engine lights to boot !

Very chuffed ..........................until I stopped for a chat about EGRs with a mate who is an MOT tester. He asked if the engine management light was on to which I happily said NO.

He obviously applied the testers curse to it , as on startup as I went to leave the light stayed on and "engine Management Fault " appeared in the LCD display. Evil or Very Mad

Questions :

I dont believe from reading all the posts that my FL (57 plate 0Cool has a DPF but how can I categorically prove that ? nowhere in the thread does it tell you how to confirm whether you have one !

What do I do next - clear fault codes and see if it comes back ? or is there something else I've missed ??

all advice gratefully received !

Post #374886 11th Jul 2019 6:35 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

A UK-spec MY08 will not have a DPF, so you'd somehow have to have a non-UK spec vehicle which seems unlikely. You can tell from the VIN number - somewhere on here there's information on how to decode the VIN - try a search.

As for the faults, clearing them can't do any harm so give it a go and see what happens.

Blanking the EGR leaves it still present and operational, you've just stopped exhaust from reaching the intake when the valve is open. Therefore if the EGR is faulty and throwing codes it will do so even if blanked, unfortunately.

Post #374898 12th Jul 2019 7:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 15 <123 ... 12 131415>