« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Best sub 50 dash cam recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue
Best sub 50 dash cam recommendations

I am looking for a reliable dashcam for SWMBO's car. She only uses it to commute, and very rarely does she use it at night, unless driving home in winter, but on well lit roads.

She has had a couple of possible 'crash for cash' attempts incidents recently, (lone female, new car an obvious target),

I use a Blackvue which is great, but they don't come in at sub 50. So any suggestion would be appropriated. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #329313 17th Aug 2017 6:44 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

think Halfords have Nextbase ones up for 49 which look like they would be suitable for your needs.

Post #329315 17th Aug 2017 6:52 am
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I bought my other half a cheap Nextbase from Halfords for 45 in the sale. It's adequate. However, sometimes it plays up and takes a while to configure . Check the reviews on the Halfords Website.

Post #329346 17th Aug 2017 11:32 am
howdenbiker

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have a Nextbase, slightly over 50, 69 I think but improved on the cheaper model. I had a couple of set up problems but Nextbase have a telephone help line and they were very helpful soI would recommend either. 2013 GS Baltic Blue - part exchanged now for Volvo V40

Post #329377 17th Aug 2017 8:40 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Howdenbiker, which model is it please? Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #329405 18th Aug 2017 7:53 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Quite a lot of folk now are saying they are going to fit a dash cam just in case anything happens such as when they are involved in an accident so they can prove who is to blame.
But it all seems to be about, Im having one so that I can show what happened when the other chap caused the accident, so when it comes to the claim they can prove they were in the right, which is fair enough great idea and stops all the arguments.

But if a person has a dash cam and captures images that shows they were in the wrong would they offer those to the other party so that they could claim against them? Somehow I dont think many folk would and the images would be craftily deleted, its all seems a bit me me me only??

Just a thought, its a great idea if everyone was going to be honest about it but I doubt many would want their own faults recorded on their camera for someone elses benefit? Or am I wrong???

Post #330278 2nd Sep 2017 11:03 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The person who was in the wrong and to blame for the incident is always the other driver - honest!

J

Post #330330 3rd Sep 2017 9:26 am
Dreamer

United Kingdom 

Landiroamer wrote:
Quite a lot of folk now are saying they are going to fit a dash cam just in case anything happens such as when they are involved in an accident so they can prove who is to blame.
But it all seems to be about, Im having one so that I can show what happened when the other chap caused the accident, so when it comes to the claim they can prove they were in the right, which is fair enough great idea and stops all the arguments.

But if a person has a dash cam and captures images that shows they were in the wrong would they offer those to the other party so that they could claim against them? Somehow I dont think many folk would and the images would be craftily deleted, its all seems a bit me me me only??

Just a thought, its a great idea if everyone was going to be honest about it but I doubt many would want their own faults recorded on their camera for someone elses benefit? Or am I wrong???

Just go on you tube and see all the videos that have been uploaded where the up loader says something along the lines of "look at this idiot"but when you actually look at it the poster is the biggest idiot. So working on that basis It can only help.

Post #330334 3rd Sep 2017 12:38 pm
gj100

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Three cars in the GJ household at present and all with dashcams.

I have one Nextbase 112 model (49 although I got it in the sale for 35) and two Nextbase 312 models (99 although again I bought them in the sale around Christmas time for only 89).

The 312 models have been brilliant but the 112 has caused some problems with deteriorating image quality (could not even read number plates on it in daytime at one point). It seems to have got a bit better again but I honestly would not like to recommend it. My advice is to pay a bit more and go for the 312.

The reason I got the dashcam was that I had a no fault accident (two highway maintenance vehicles completely failed to recognize a mini roundabout, I managed to avoid the first idiot but the second one clipped the back of my Freelander as he steamed through!) Anyway I was lucky because a completely independent witness came forward and supported my case and also my insurance company pointed out to me (and the other parties) that the position of impact of their vehicle on my vehicle demonstrated that I was 'already established' on the roundabout. However it made me think, what if I had not been lucky enough to have a witness to support me or an accident where the position of impact made things so clear cut. Hence I now have the dash cams. Even in my case a forward facing camera would have helped me because it would have shown what I did on approach to the roundabout and through it.

I have a colleague who was also involved in a no-fault on his part accident and the dash cam footage was crucial in supporting him.

There are also all the crash for cash scams as well that you mention.

So yes, get a dash cam for SWMBO, but pay about 99 not 50

Regards

GJ gj100
Current LR: Freelander2 SD4 Metropolis in Orkney Grey
Previous LR: Evoque Pure Tech SD4 9 speed auto in Indus Silver
Previous LR: Evoque Pure tech SD4 manual in Indus Silver
Previous LR: P38 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue in Bonnati Grey
Still with me: Mercedes CLK in Amber Red Metallic
On loan to me: BMW 420d MSport Coupe in Metallic Black Sapphire

Post #330338 3rd Sep 2017 3:44 pm
Bubbles

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

Dreamer wrote:
Landiroamer wrote:

Just go on you tube and see all the videos that have been uploaded where the up loader says something along the lines of "look at this idiot"but when you actually look at it the poster is the biggest idiot. So working on that basis It can only help.

I do wonder if you need to be a bit careful before assuming that any dashcam evidence will necessarily help as much as you think it may (not talking about anyone in particular - just postulating) - I've noticed that on police webcam submission info it very definitely says that "ALL OFFENCES SHOWN ON THE VIDEO WILL BE INVESTIGATED" which might mean you end up with an unexpected speeding fine or worse if there's enough evidence on the file! I'd also assume that the insurance companies would also use the same argument to avoid payouts - yes a collision occurred but you were exceeding the speed limit, on a hands free call etc etc. FL No 1 - 2012 (MY2011) XS manual Firenze Red - Gone
FL No 2 - 2012 (MY2012) XS manual Barolo Black - SWMBO wanted one too!
FL No 3 -2013 XS SD4 Auto Santorini Black
Series III SWB Hardtop - long gone
110 CSW V8 - long gone
Discovery 1 200Tdi - long gone

Post #331227 15th Sep 2017 1:08 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Had a lot of good advice off here with dash cams.. BUT bit confused now Embarassed does the Nextbase model fit up behind RVM as I want to just hard wire and leave also not able to reach and press buttons when in drivers seat so am looking for something that can be left out of sight.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #337266 14th Dec 2017 1:58 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Have a look at the Mini 805 which is now around £60. Very discreet and fits comfortably behind the RV mirror. You can hard wire by running down behind the A pillar cover to fuse box. driving on the right side

Post #337273 14th Dec 2017 2:36 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Many years ago I was walking along a road and thumbed a lift. A guy stopped for me whereupon someone ran into the back of him. Very embarrassing and to top it all, the driver who stopped for me asked if I would be a witness as I wasn't in the vehicle. I decided to decline and keep out of it as I could just see myself in the witness box as the ultimate cause of the accident! Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #337274 14th Dec 2017 2:37 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Bet the good Samaritan hasn't stopped to give anyone a lift since Rolling with laughter

Many thanks Anglasit will have a look now If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #337278 14th Dec 2017 3:44 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Aldi have a great one in stock at the moment in their special buys

https://www.aldi.co.uk/reka-1080-pixel-das...4186594400

Post #337290 14th Dec 2017 8:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>