Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > All this talk of watches...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 22 <123 4 ... 202122>
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

This one is just under 7mm thick, sapphire glass both sides

Click image to enlarge

Whichever watch one buys make sure it has sapphire glass. The watch I pretty much wear all the time, & should take it off, does not have not one scratch on the glass after years. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325131 14th Jun 2017 9:26 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Nice watch - my one's nearly 17mm thick. Definitely agree about the glass. My Tag has a sapphire crystal and 6 years on, not a scratch.

I was holding out for a Speedmaster Professional 60th anniversary limited edition which is built as near as possible to the original Speedmaster released in 1957. What turned me off apart from being a manual wind and having a sealed case back was that as per the original watch, it has a Hesalite glass. For Hesalite, read acrylic! Scratches easily but small scratches can be polished out. I'd have no screen left after 6 months! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #325134 14th Jun 2017 9:45 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

It doesn't help how tough you make acrylic. At the end of the day if the watch does not have sapphire glass I would not buy it! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325137 14th Jun 2017 10:13 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

My Omega Oyster cost me about £20.00 in 1971. I splashed out and got the posh version with the date window. Trouble is it does need a service every couple of years, and that's a couple of hundred nowadays. Lovely watch though. I think just about every part has been replaced over the years. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #325166 14th Jun 2017 10:42 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Worried about Brexit and my watch.

My watch is a Red Arrows Skyhawk A/T. This watch is accurate to within 2.5 milliseconds being constantly updated by radio transmissions from an atomic clock near Frankfurt, Germany.

With Brexit looming I am concerned that I will no longer be able to receive these transmissions. This would make my watch no more accurate than a £5 market special.

Having read this thread I noticed this quote from Dorsetfreelander “Not many people know this but did you know that a watch that runs backwards is the most accurate timepiece?”. I am tempted to have my watch re-engineered to do just this.

My thought is however, and “The Doctor” may be able to advise on this, will I actually be going back in time?

If so I could end up back in 1975 where, as an optimistic youth, I voted to remain in the EEC. Then I could change my vote and perhaps stop us being in this mess in the first place.

JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #325266 16th Jun 2017 11:16 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

JGH.... have you started your weekend early and had a few already ? Rolling with laughter

Post #325272 16th Jun 2017 12:30 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Possibly Wink Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #325276 16th Jun 2017 1:35 pm
blfarrar

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
I an escapee from the D3 side

Could resist reading about watches..
Besides telling the time are an indulgence....some do many don't.
The trick is to get someone to buy you one.......my Rolex Explorer II some 38 years ago....it cost less than £400..00.... my late mother in law bought it.

27 years later in a jewellers shop looking at a Rolex for my youngest daughter (very belated 21st)
The jeweller wanted to look at mine....& asked if "I wanted to update mine"
He checked the numbers by removing one bracelet end.

The deal was he'd replace my watch with a new Explorer II & fund 1/2 my daughters watch.
Approximately £6,000.00. Deal done. Two brand new watches

Much later I learnt by looking it up my original watch was worth €22,000..00 - quite a rare watch.
Some watches especially Rolex do accrue lots of value....others just keep a good price.

Servicing is costly, especially if you havecparts to replace - the bracelet on mine was replaced at 10 years old.
Worth it as my watch is immaculate with no dings or scratches.

I use a Bulova precisionist as a day to day watch - realistically priced - tough - unbelievably accurate mines still within a second after setting 6 months ago. Plus the stopwatch (which I use often) is easy to use & read. Have:
Freelander 2 SE...just brilliant
Discovery 3 HSE....the workhorse
Jaguar S Type....now eclipsed by the XF

Post #325424 18th Jun 2017 7:35 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Accurate timekeeping for a fraction of the price is the advantage of quartz over a mechanical movement. My quartz Tag keeps about about the same time, as do most Quartz watches where the COSC standards are plus or minus 0.07 seconds per day. Compare that to a COSC mechanical movement where standards are minus 4 to plus 6 seconds per day. My new watch has lost 4 seconds since Tuesday. My Tag's lost nothing! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #325436 18th Jun 2017 9:46 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
Got it! My 60th birthday present.

Bought it early as I got it for a very good price. Wife says I can play with it indoors today but I've got to put it away until my birthday. Only another 170 sleeps! Laughing

Edit
Bloody photobucket.

Well, I've not even worn it outside the house yet apart from one trip to the Omega boutique to try on the same model with a leather strap to see what it was like. I liked it but the strap and clasp had to be purchased separately. £180 for the Strap and another £180 for the clasp!

Bought a similar strap on eBay and I've just fitted it. Looks good and feels a lot lighter! I think the strap suits the vintage/retro look of the watch and the saving compared to an Omega strap and clasp was............£342.25!

Only another 105 sleeps! Sad Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #329355 17th Aug 2017 1:29 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Today I dropped my 34 year old stainless GMT Master "Pepsi" off at the Rolex dealers in Halifax . It's going back to the manufacturers service centre for a service. I know that when it comes back it will be pristine . Apparently it's still a very much in demand model as a collectable vintage watch . This will be the 3rd service it's had since I got it instead of a wedding ring all those years ago . I feel quite unbalanced without it on my wrist as it's a daily wearer, it's criminal to keep these watches in a box they were meant to be used . I'm sure the balanced feeling will return soon as my wallet which I keep on the right hand side is going to be £730 lighter Big Cry 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #330614 7th Sep 2017 7:21 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
sunto

Does it give me altitude, is it also a compass if so i am interested. Not wanting a watch with GPS as they eat power. Oh and can it tell me the time. Every chance it will be a Sunto then and not a arm and a leg

No point worrying about including a heart monitor and other gimmicks as they all need downloading and if you are out in the hills for a few days its not current. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #330622 7th Sep 2017 8:53 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
Steve D wrote:
Got it! My 60th birthday present.

Bought it early as I got it for a very good price. Wife says I can play with it indoors today but I've got to put it away until my birthday. Only another 170 sleeps! Laughing

Edit
Bloody photobucket.

Well, I've not even worn it outside the house yet apart from one trip to the Omega boutique to try on the same model with a leather strap to see what it was like. I liked it but the strap and clasp had to be purchased separately. £180 for the Strap and another £180 for the clasp!

Bought a similar strap on eBay and I've just fitted it. Looks good and feels a lot lighter! I think the strap suits the vintage/retro look of the watch and the saving compared to an Omega strap and clasp was............£342.25!

Only another 105 sleeps! Sad

Well, that was £17.75 wasted - wifey has just picked me up the 'proper' Omega strap and clasp as an extra birthday present. It is a lot nicer in the flesh and the deployant clasp is a lot nicer to use compared to fiddling with a buckle. Money well spent. Whistle

Only 15 more sleeps now! Very Happy Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #335208 15th Nov 2017 8:42 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I decided that the GMT Pepsi would never be worn again for some of the more extreme tasks it has undertaken , especially releasing Trout in the river when I’m fly fishing . Having sold my bike and feeling a bit flush I’ve obtained a Tudor Ranger for my everyday outdoor wear . It came with a nice stainless bracelet and very lovely NATO strap. ( woven by the people who supply robes to the Vatican Bow down ) . Both of those are in the box unworn and the Ranger is now on a very nice waterproof leather strap fitted with a Hirsch deployment clasp

I got the strap at https://www.watchobsession.co.uk

Extensive choice of straps and clasps and a very good service . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #335218 15th Nov 2017 10:37 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

this baby does everything, even keeps me fit Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Iain

Post #335277 17th Nov 2017 8:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 22 <123 4 ... 202122>