Home > Technical > Main lights Flicking randomly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hadjista

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Main lights Flicking randomly

Hi guys,

I have a very weird situation going on with my FL2 2008.
I have a towbar installed and before a couple of weeks i used it to remove a friend's boat from the water. after taking the boat out of the water (trailers lights were connected on my towbars electric fuse) my lights switched on and stayed on whatever I did. Lights switched off only when I turned the car off.
After 1 hour the lights started to flick randomly. I switched off the car and after 2 days that I switched it on again everything seemed to be ok.
Now, 2 weeks later my lights are flicking randomly. If I have them switched off then randomly they flick by turning on and off. If I have them on then again they randomly flick by turning off and on.

I think that my car got a short circuit from the boat's trailer when it was in the water. but I haven't found a burned fuse.

After checking the faults recorded I have found many errors but the following error I think is associated with this issue: B1130-87 coming from the BCM.

Looking in the forum I found out that this fault code translates as Light Switch Module - Bus signal/ message failure - missing a message.

Is it possible to have this due to a problematic relay associated with lights?

Can anyone help me with how I can pinpoint and correct the issue? what does "missing a message means?" Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #329396 18th Aug 2017 7:10 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Try a hard re-set. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329432 18th Aug 2017 12:31 pm
Hadjista

Hi Yorky Bob and many thanks for your reply!!

I have tried a hard reset too but didnt do anything. I removed the battery for 5-10 minutes and connected it back again Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #329437 18th Aug 2017 1:22 pm
Yorky Bob

Did you hold the leads together once disconnected ? Try putting fault code into google as Freelander 2 ****** and go from there. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329461 18th Aug 2017 5:03 pm
Hadjista

Hi when i disconnected the batery i didnt hold the 2 leads together. Should i try again but this time hold them together?? Why should this make a difference? Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #329568 20th Aug 2017 2:55 pm
Yorky Bob

Yes you need to hold them together for several minutes Its like turning on and off a computer when it gets its "knickers in a twist" (Yorkshire technical term). Other thing is all those fault codes logged up, they need a good "clear out " (another technical term often associated with John Smiths bitter).

After all that go and find a good auto electrician if it made no difference unless someone else has any better ides. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #329573 20th Aug 2017 5:04 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

the reset holding the battery leads together speeds up the discharge of voltage,a 12 volt lamp connected between the leads will do this quicker,in the past I have left leads together for 24hrs where no 12volt lamp was available.if you measure the voltage across the leads you can see the millivolts decrease.

Post #329591 21st Aug 2017 1:18 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Genuine LR tow electrics?
Tow Module enabled correctly within the CCF?
Installed by LR Dealer? MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #329593 21st Aug 2017 3:38 am
jubdad

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Electrically speaking I can't see how a 12v lamp across the battery leads would discharge any residual voltage faster than a dead short.

Post #329638 21st Aug 2017 5:06 pm
Hadjista

Hi guys, sorry for my late replies but i am on a trip with limited internet access. When i return back i will try disconnecting the battery and hold the 2 leads together. However if i do that i will not run into any other troubles?
Yes the tow bar was installed by the official landrover dealer with original parts (there is only 1 in Cyprus). However i dont know if everything is connected correctly with the necesarry fuses in place so as to avoid short circuit troubles. I visited the dealer a few days before going on my trip and he cleared out all faults so as when he checks next time to have a shorter list. However there was this fault code ascosiated with lights B1130-87 but due to august holiday period (almost everyone is on holiday) the people at the dealer couldn't find what it was so i am looking to find was causes this fault code and how to resolve this issue. Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #329694 22nd Aug 2017 4:25 pm
Hadjista

hi guys,

I have returned and tried disconnecting the battery and hold the 2 leads together. I had them like this for something like 1 hour and then reconnected them, however the issue is not resolved. I still have the lights turning on randomly and staying on or just flicking.
Is it possible to get this sort of behaviour due to a faulty relay? could this be due to a faulty relay that goes on/of ? how can I test a relay? Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #330437 5th Sep 2017 9:02 am
Yorky Bob

A rely is just an electronic switch. Power it up with a small current and open the the heavy circuit it controls. Great sort of thing to play around with to learn some basics, can be tested with a meter or you can make up a test lamp with a 12V bulb and 2 wires.

Having said that with the cost of car computers etc do you really want to be flashing (shorting) wires. You have tried the basics to save money but my advice now would be find a good auto electrician. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #330445 5th Sep 2017 9:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1