Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Finally living the dream
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I took the advice of a few members on here and split my 10 year service up in parts to spread the cost, first I had the cambelt & water pump done, then fluid change a few months later. Much easier to absorb the expense this way unless of course you have already budgeted for it and have the funds available

Post #329269 16th Aug 2017 9:57 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Welcome BusyBoy plenty of good advice on here. Enjoy the ride Very Happy If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #329401 18th Aug 2017 7:36 am
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

The bank holiday weekend's adventure in the Freelander took me along the coast road from Dolgellau to Tywyn mid Wales. As you can see, on a clear day the views are superb. I can highly recommend it if you're in the area.

Post #330089 30th Aug 2017 5:53 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Todays special delivery!
Is it just me, or is there something nice about a fresh set of rubber arriving for your car?
Just got to get them fitted now.

Post #331730 22nd Sep 2017 6:45 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Managed to free up a couple of hours on Saturday to get the new tyres fitted. The old ones were starting to make me a little nervous. They were still legal, but a couple were just down to about 2mm, and more worrying was the fact they were getting noisy at motorway speeds. What I thought initially may have been a bearing noise from the Haldex was actually one of the rear tyres getting feathered and out of shape on the edges. From reading around on here, I believe its quite normal for Goodyear Wranglers to do this when they get a little low, but it was still a little unnerving.

Post #331803 25th Sep 2017 6:50 am
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

The offending tyre. It was pretty loud at 70mph, and I could have sworn it was a bearing on its way out.

Post #331836 25th Sep 2017 12:47 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Took the opportunity to clean the backs of the wheels whilst they were off. Ok, so not the best job as I was short on time, but better than they were.

Post #331837 25th Sep 2017 12:55 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Out with the old........

.........and in with the new.

Post #331838 25th Sep 2017 1:04 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Had a good look around underneath for the first time whilst I had it on the ramp. Was quite surprised at the lack of underseal in places. Something to look at before winter kicks in.
The only surprise I found was one of the brake pipes starting to corrode. They seem to have a black plastic coating on them, and the right hand front one was showing signs of swelling inside just before the rubber flexi pipe. Ive had a bit of a look and it seems to disappear inside the bulkhead. Not particularly pleasant to replace by the looks of it.
The next job is to get it back in for a 4 wheel alignment so I freed off the locknuts on the track rod ends, and the concentric bolts for the rear track control arms. These looked pretty rusty to be honest so I might get a pair of new ones ordered in preparation. It looks like the suspension is pretty simple with no adjustment available for camber or caster, so shouldnt take too long to do.

The track rod end lock nuts freed off and lubricated.

The rear toe seems to be adjusted using these concentric bolts/washers. Freed off and lubricated, but look pretty rusty so I might get a couple of new ones ordered.

Post #331918 26th Sep 2017 7:55 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Having driven the car now with its new tyres, I have to say its a big improvement. No more humming noise at motorway speeds, and more importantly a restored confidence that nothings about to let go, plus the added tread deptht should ensure its not going to aquaplane as easily. The car itself looks smarter with fresh rubber, and should be ready for when the colder, wetter weather hits.

Last edited by busboy1303 on 12th Oct 2017 6:33 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #331921 26th Sep 2017 8:11 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Busy weekend with not much time to tinker!
Just managed to find 10 minutes to fit an EGR blanking plate. After reading various threads on here on the subject I thought it was worthwhile giving it a go. So far Ive noticed no difference on the short journey Ive done. Maybe my EGR valve was working ok before?

Post #332243 2nd Oct 2017 5:08 pm
busboy1303

United Kingdom 

Happy with progress over the weekend!
Changed the steering wheel and the gear lever knob for nice new fresh ones. Both were definitely showing their age. Managed to get a brand new leather steering wheel, so actually an upgrade from a HSE, and a brand new gear lever knob from Matford Land Rover, both much much cheaper than the RRP.

The results are fantastic! The steering wheel and gear lever are your main contact points. Its taken years off the feel of the car. I can highly recommend doing the same if yours are looking a little tatty.

Post #333393 17th Oct 2017 12:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12