Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > A mole in the garden!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Some more activity overnight. The last photo shows the untouched mound of soil with yesterday's hole in the background then a close up of the mound. The first photo shows where I've scraped the soil away to reveal a fairly shallow tunnel.

No sign of other surface activity or droppings. Interesting.

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #328073 30th Jul 2017 11:53 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

Looks like a mole burrowing near the surface,I have plenty like that in my garden/field.

Post #328076 30th Jul 2017 12:01 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

Moles dig two types of tunnel. Deep ones that they use to regularly move about underground, and shallow ones that are created as they dig through just under the surface in search of food. It is the shallow ones that produce the mole hills, and are dangerous as there can be a honeycomb of voids under apparently solid ground which one does not notice until a foot goes through and an ankle breaks.

It's not unknown for other animals to take over a deep tunnel for its own purpose, so you could have more than one type of invader. What is certain is that if the conditions are to their liking they will be breeding as we type, so prompt action is need to contain the invasion.

I like George's suggestion but it is only of limited effect as the oxygen in the tunnel is used up quickly and fuel remains unburned. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #328077 30th Jul 2017 12:32 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A Sydney funnel-web spider will fix the problem permanently down these holes, & anything a lot larger, like people! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #328080 30th Jul 2017 12:41 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Does flooding the underground network do any good. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #328081 30th Jul 2017 12:43 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Funny you should mention flooding. I was doing pond maintenance this morning and used the drainage hose to flood the tunnels. The only problem now in light of what Nav has said, is that I need to tread carefully in that area. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #328085 30th Jul 2017 1:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12