« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Dunkirk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Purplemadboy wrote:
I saw it the other night , I felt let down by it. Like others I have an interest in ww2 and know a wee bit about it. As Martyn said I've seen more people waiting on a bus than what was depicted on the beach , the movie doesn't show the true horror of what the beach was like . It could have been the new saving private Ryan but for me it failed miserably.

There are so many police or Court related dramas that I could pick apart. Yes they are fictional but they are based on and quote real law and procedure and I could say they are rubbish because this and that are wrong but I just put that aside and enjoy it for what it is and the performances etc.

As much as that WWII historians in depth knowledge could pick the film apart, did he enjoy it? Yes. Would have enjoyed it more without his knowledge but it shows that factual knowledge can take the edge off things. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #327852 27th Jul 2017 6:40 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Sadly a lot of people these days cant cope with a film that has blood and guts and an accurate storyline. But they do want to be entertained and enthralled and if the film is ''based on actual events'' then they get all teary eyed and nostalgic about it.

There were a lot of complaints from Joe public about the Saving Private Ryan opening beach scenes in particular, but about other scenes too, that they were too horrific and gory and confusing with too much going on.... but veterans of the landings demanded they stay in as they were so true to life and wanted people to see how bad it actually was.

My old next door neighbour was a Dunkirk Survivor, as kids we would stare at the massive scar across his stomach and round to his back when he was out gardening with his shirt off. He had been shot in the stomach on the beach at Dunkirk and had lay for 3 or 4 days with no medical attention until somebody carried him to a boat. He never went into details at all other than that as we later found how badly it affected him.

IMO films such as this should be taken as entertainment loosely based on facts, nothing more.

Post #327857 27th Jul 2017 7:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12