Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Extend auxillary power time when ignition is switched off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kickin 70

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Extend auxillary power time when ignition is switched off

Do any of you Freelander 2 gurus know how I can either extend - or (better still) switch off the limiter which restricts the amount of time the auxiliary power is supplied after I switch the ignition off. I'm fed up with the radio etc going dead after 5 - ten minutes. Banging Head

Any help greatly appreciated.

Post #327147 15th Jul 2017 1:58 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

You would get even more fed up with having to push start it! Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #327170 15th Jul 2017 9:33 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have no idea if you can extend it, but I have only every managed to get about 3 to 4 10 minute cycles before low battery warning & the whole car shuts down. & that's with the radio at low volume. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #327171 15th Jul 2017 9:34 pm
booktrunk

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't different fuses have different cut offs, with some being permenantly live, so if you piggy back off the right fuse can keep something going until you run the battery flat if you really want to?

If so .... read up and find the right fuse Smile 2010 Freelander2 TD4_e GS
--
"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

Post #327178 16th Jul 2017 9:24 am
Kickin 70

Hey Guys, Thank you all for your replies.

Er . . . Navigator, you're quite right, I have no desire to start exercising now at my age, but I would have thought that even in the 20th century - when this was designed - Land Rover could have come up with a way of giving more than 10 minutes of radio life from their battery without creating such a devastating effect. After all, the few milliamps a modern radio takes to run is almost negligible on any battery. If I am not mistaken, most other car manufacturers manage more - I know my old Mondeo certainly did.

Booktrunk - thanks for your suggestion - that's certainly one way, but I really don't want to create a problem within the system and then - as Navigator has mentioned - end up having to "push it". I really don't want to abuse the system as such but wondered whether there was some way of just extending the time period.

Anyway Gents, many thanks for your time and input - as always I knew someone would come up trumps. (Oops sorry, perhaps I shouldn't use that term now!)

Post #327179 16th Jul 2017 10:01 am
Lightwater

When we travelled around NSW, in the afternoon/evening while camping we only put the car doors to but not fully closed. It is surprising how many time one ends up opening and closing car doors & boot. If we actually closed them then when we opened a door the car goes through its cycle of turning things on. Once we decide to finish up for the day only then we actually closed the doors.

We also turned off the 2 ceiling lights and took out the bulbs in the footwells & the boot. This all came about due to getting low battery warning in remote areas after closing & opening doors too often, not a good feeling! I did have a jump starting battery but I would rather not get low battery warnings to start with! We saw 3 cars in remote areas that needed to be jump started in the morning over the 6 weeks, Subaru, Skoda & Toyota.

In the outback the car AM radio has fairly good reception, but due to low battery warning we limited its use while parked. Instead we used a small portable which actually ran for the entire 6 weeks off 1 set of 4 AA Ni-Mh 2450mAh eneloop pro batteries! I didn't need the 2 sets of spares or the charger! The radio had a lot of use in the evenings. When we got back home I continued to use it to see how long the batteries would last, & got another week.

We listend to the portable at the same volume as the car radio in the evening. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #327181 16th Jul 2017 11:18 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I really don't want to abuse the system as such but wondered whether there was some way of just extending the time period.

Now don't get me wrong but if you are sat next to the radio are you unable to just switch it on repeatably ? Sometimes I get showered off my allotment and may need to turn the set on several times before I am back on the plot, hardly taxing is it Whistle
 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #327185 16th Jul 2017 12:39 pm
Lightwater

Down under if I am listening to ABC Radio National which also rebroadcasts some of your interesting programs. I usually get to about 8 to 9 minutes & when it's not a critical part of the topic, or less critical part I turn off the radio then back on again. Murphy's law that the radio turns off at a key moment of the topic at 10 minutes! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #327188 16th Jul 2017 1:03 pm
Kickin 70

G'day to Lightwater and Yorky, Thanks for coming back. Interesting to learn of your efforts in the outback L. and of course if it's just the radio a little "trannie" will do just fine I guess.

Yorkie, point taken - and of course that is exactly what I am doing at the moment - although I do find it sapping my strength after 30 minutes Whistle

Ok, I confess I haven't been completely honest with my facts here Embarassed as I probably have the ipod plugged in most of the time listening to that. Being an old "grumpy" I can't stand what now passes for "music" these days. In fact most of the current program presenters (D.J's ? ?) give me the "Heebee Geebee's". I was brought up with real music - you know stuff that had melody and didn't sound like it had a cement mixer loaded with bricks or stones running in the background. Ah . . . sorry about that - got carried away . . . back to the topic. Yes, it does mean I probably do take a few more milliamps than just running the radio, but I reiterate, surely in this day and age we should be able to run minimal equipment like this for say . . . 30 minutes - without causing such catastrophic effects!

I await with trepidation the ensuing storm!!

Post #327199 16th Jul 2017 4:01 pm
Gert

South Africa 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Alaska White

In fact most of the current program presenters (D.J's ? ?) give me the "Heebee Geebee's". I was brought up with real music - you know stuff that had melody and didn't sound like it had a cement mixer loaded with bricks or stones running in the background.

There are more people like you in this world that you can imagine..... Thumbs Up

Post #331417 18th Sep 2017 9:23 am
Kickin 70

Thank's Gert - I was beginning to wonder Laughing

Post #331429 18th Sep 2017 11:20 am
Carel Kriek

South Africa 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Fully agree Gert! Thumbs Up 2013 SD4 SE (hers)
2013 SD4 HSE (mine)
Ex: 2008 D3 V8 HSE
EX: 2000 D2 TD5

Post #331430 18th Sep 2017 11:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1