« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Cat D
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Cat D

I know what it means but would like to know is there away of finding out what the actual damage was?
Thanks Common sense isn't very common.

Post #325799 23rd Jun 2017 8:28 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

generally, no not easily, unless the seller has pictures or paperwork 

Post #325800 23rd Jun 2017 8:39 am
axle

That's what I thought. been emailed a picture but it is very small, shows wing and possibly bonnet but more worried about airbags, chassis etc. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #325811 23rd Jun 2017 10:56 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Do CAT D (and CAT C) have be tested after repair by an MOT testing station or by a VOSA testing station ?

Post #325812 23rd Jun 2017 10:58 am
Tigertim

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Neither cat c or d have to be tested anywhere . At one time cat c damaged cars had to have a vehicle identity check before you could apply for a a new log book that was to try and deter ringers but that was scrapped 18 months ago . The check was not to look at any repaired damage but to check all vin nos and engine nos matched dvla records . As all vehicles have to have an mot,a good tester should pick up on any serious issues with a repaired car . I buy all my cars this way but only buy lightly damaged stuff my freelander is a cat d and is superb and cost me half of what its retail would be however I do tell the buyer it was damaged when I come to sell a car and as I'm not in it to make money I can pass on the saving as cat d and more so cat c are worth less . Always get someone in the know to look at damage even if it looks minor .

Post #325831 23rd Jun 2017 2:33 pm
axle

looks like body damage only and it's had a mot done, very good price.
just hear allsorts of horror stories and you don't know if there best mate is the mot tester. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #325835 23rd Jun 2017 4:25 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

^^^^^ What Tigertim says.
My 3rd Freelander 1 was a cat-c. Repaired it myself. It had less damage than any of the cat-d cars I looked at and repaired it myself easily with bolt on parts. Ran it for 7 years until I sold it in March. Cost me around a third of what I would have paid if I had bought it normally - and there's no guarantee that any car bought second hand hasn't been in a bump. How many cars out there have been repaired by the insurer. How many owners of these insurance repaired vehicles are going to be honest and let you know when they sell them on ? How many owners on this forum are driving around in an accident damaged and repaired vehicle without knowing it ? Even those who have bought from a main dealer NEW could have fallen foul.............unlikely, but it HAS happened.
Back in the 1990's my sister was a regular in the VIP box at a premiership club as her best mate was married to one of the players and she liked to have my sister with her when she went to see her husband play. Anyhow, my parents were having a problem with their motor and it was back at the dealership under warranty. Around the same time, my sister's friend was boasting about the new car she and her hubby were getting - ordered from the same dealership. Top of the range , metallic black, leather etc,etc. "and we know the reg number".
Imagine my dad's surprise when he went to collect his car and parked next to it round the back of the dealership was my sister's friend's brand new car, various parts missing from it and a nice scrape on the rear quarter. Dad got talking to one of the mechanics who said it was damaged on the way to the dealership and was going to be repaired, but in the meantime they were using it as a parts vehicle as there was a long delay on certain parts, so it made sense to use what they had to save delays on other cars in for servicing etc.and by the time the car was repaired, the missing parts would be back in stock.
The upshot was that my sister's friend was fobbed off for over 6 weeks before she finally took delivery of her "new" pride and joy. The dealership claimed the leather seats were not up to scratch and they were waiting on replacements - however my parents and I knew different.
The premiership player in question ? I won't divulge his name - however, I met him several times and he was a complete and utter tosser. Sister had to stop me punching him once when he came to collect her, due to personal comments he made about me. I just took satisfaction in knowing he was driving a pile of Censored that he had paid full whack for and that had been damaged.

Post #325849 23rd Jun 2017 10:18 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

^^^^^

My Evoque, bought last year approved from a LR Dealer, was accident damaged and badly repaired. Comment made by the used car sales manager there was that it can still be an approved even if its been in accident.

I conceded to him, but pointed out that minor trim was missing, paint was bubbling, runs in the paint, and misaligned body panels.... which were all supposed to be checked under the approved tick list and he shut up..... and it went through their MOT tester with a knackered transfer box shaft

As for Cat C/D repairs.... I think its a disgrace that they don't have to be checked by a VOSA station or equivalent. there is no guarantee its a safe repair.

A friend of mine bought a written off Aston Martin DB9 for £10k. He spend another 10k repairing it, had it signed off and approved by Aston Martin and sold it for £42k..... but at least it was inspected and approved.

Post #325966 26th Jun 2017 7:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1