Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Diff - Whine **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 29 <123 ... 181920 ... 272829>
Print this entire topic · 
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Yes, I always suspected that it was the Haldex in my case.

Also, someone else on here said their clink / dink went after refilling their Haldex which had got low on oil.

Mine occurred about one wheel revolution after pulling away (Was the same forwards and backwards). FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #325208 15th Jun 2017 3:33 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I had a new complete back axle at few miles fitted, dinged again since. Had Haldex serviced by Bell 3 years later still dings, I for one think its not the Haldex but the drive shafts to the rear wheels. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #325212 15th Jun 2017 6:46 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Arese wrote:
Arese wrote:

1 rear diff + 3 Haldex units

3 haldex in 1000 miles for my 2012 HSE Auto

- 30 000 miles : whining -> rear diff changed
- 40 000 miles : vibrations on rear wheels when turning and accelerating --> Haldex unit changed and problem solved
- 40 200 miles : Vibrations again -> Oh sorry the Haldex unit changed 200 miles ago was brand new and faulty we will change it again --> then changed and problem solved
- 41 000 miles : Vibrations again .... Oh sorry again, the two previous Haldex changed were faulty even if brand new ..it happens you know we have to change it again --> changed and problem solved so Far ...

Now 43 000 miles and the last Haldex fitted seems ok so far ...

Well ... I spoke too soon ... 1500 miles later ... juddering again .... and car out of warranty Thumbs Up
I'm fed up with this situation ... and don't know what to think. What could wreck the haldex after a short mileage ? Banging Head

LR says that the propshaft is to be changed with a fourth Haldex unit Whistle

Post #325220 15th Jun 2017 8:28 pm
de1979

England 

Yorky Bob wrote:
I had a new complete back axle at few miles fitted, dinged again since. Had Haldex serviced by Bell 3 years later still dings, I for one think its not the Haldex but the drive shafts to the rear wheels.

Pulling the Haldex fuse completely stops it. I'm not saying that means it isn't the drive shafts... but if it is then it must only be when the Haldex is engaging/disengaging. It's most noticeable when setting off in Reverse. Is the Haldex engaged in reverse? The best description I've read of it (amongst the dinks, donks, binks and downright bonks!) is "slack being taken up".

I think most people's ears aren't sensitive enough to hear it. I'm not making any sweeping statements about the average age of Freelander owners here Laughing but my 2010 is blatant with it and my folks 2014 is just as bad. Although they claim they can't hear a damn thing, and look at me like I've grown an extra head when I point it out!

Post #325223 15th Jun 2017 9:22 pm
gillburt

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Buckingham Blue

I'm on my 3rd rear diff (#2 lasted under 200 miles)

How have things been for you since the propshaft change?

Post #325734 21st Jun 2017 8:05 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Harrumph, whine started last week. Thought it was a wheel bearing but independant confirmed today is diff.

79k miles

Now got to get Warranty Direct to cough up. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #326855 10th Jul 2017 1:20 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Good luck with Warranty Direct... I got dumped on my Warranty Wise over a DMF failure.

My garage stripped and diagnosed it as the slave cylinder oil seal failed and contaminated the DMF, they reassembled it as it was still driveable after being told by warranty wise it would take 3 weeks for their engineer to come out to approve the work.
Then they refused to pay out as I had been driving it since it was reported and refused to refund any money including my annual fee.

Post #326858 10th Jul 2017 1:31 pm
tolley

United Kingdom 
land rovers answer

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn of your concerns in regards to your Freelander 2.

As a manufacturer, we appreciate that concerns may arise during vehicle ownership with this in mind we offer a comprehensive 3 year manufacturer’s warranty, which covers any concerns that may arise as result of a manufacturing or material defect. Any required repair in line with this would be completed by a Land Rover approved retailer at no cost to you under the terms of the warranty.

Outside of this, Land Rover do recommend customers consider purchasing an extended warranty to ensure that your vehicle is covered for a longer period of time should any concerns be experienced to provide you with further reassurance.

I note that you have experienced a concern with your vehicle which is now seven years old. As your vehicle is outside of warranty, the cost of this would fall upon the responsibility of the vehicle owner and/or your chosen extended warranty provider.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Yours sincerely,

--
Becci Parsons

Case Manager
Customer Relations Centre
Jaguar Land Rover

mines gone at 42thuo Censored

Post #328369 2nd Aug 2017 7:01 pm
Yorky Bob

Very sincere I note. Banging Head FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #328372 2nd Aug 2017 7:25 pm
de1979

England 

I had a diff recon this year at 70k. I'm not too upset at this to be honest. Like tolley my car is 7 years old and well out of warranty. What do you want them to do? It's not a total diff failure, the gears are fine - 95% of the part is fine - It's just a bearing. I don't notice so many complaints about wheel bearings going at 70k. Diff replacement was £700, 1 wheel bearing is pretty much half that and there's 4 of them!

I know it's a ballache but I don't class this in same category as say BMW's chain snapping or swirl flap ingestion - engine ruiners! They've got to draw a line somewhere and they upgraded the bearing on later Evoques so acted on the failure. If it's gone at 15k like you hear some did then absolutely it should be replaced under warranty - and they were!

Remains to be seen if they could have helped themselves by listing it as a service item. Now replacement diffs are being fitted with drain plugs we'll get some anecdotal evidence within 5 years or so. Then again those diffs probably also have uprated bearings!

Post #328378 2nd Aug 2017 8:44 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Having my car serviced by a new Indy (new to me) and I've asked for rear diff and Haldex service as well. 40000 miles , 4 years old. Preventative maintenance ???

Post #328382 2nd Aug 2017 9:21 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

You can change the oil in the diff every service but it is not going to prevent the nose bearing failing as its to small for the intended job only a upgraded larger bearing will cure the problem long term.

THANK GOD LAND ROVER DO NOT MAKE JET ENGINES

Post #328390 3rd Aug 2017 6:02 am
Yorky Bob

They did: Bow down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_JET1

As for preventative medicine, all my transmission oils, Haldex filter and power steering oil were changed weeks after coming off 3 year warranty. I feel better for it and if there was no benefit why would you put it on 10 year service ? At 10 years I could have done 25,000 miles or 250,000 miles. Should always have been a much lower miles and time like Haldex in other marques. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #328393 3rd Aug 2017 6:23 am
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

andyk159 wrote:
Harrumph, whine started last week. Thought it was a wheel bearing but independant confirmed today is diff.

79k miles

Now got to get Warranty Direct to cough up.

Well, car been in for fix today and not diff but wheel bearing as I first thought (phew).

Even got Warranty Direct to cough up 60% towards.

Result, for now. Will have ear cocked listening for any other noise. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #328463 3rd Aug 2017 8:37 pm
Yorky Bob

What was cost and front or rear - just bearing or any other parts Andy ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #328464 3rd Aug 2017 8:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 29 <123 ... 181920 ... 272829>