« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > GPS more questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
2013fl2

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Cambo wrote:
OK so that eBay unit actually looks like it could be better value (compared to OEM), if it works as promised.

The HDD nav unit in the FL2 is about $2000 as a spare part, and I could not find any second hand units for sale anywhere.

I'm just curious as to how they solve the GPS receiver, since this is usually mounted in the roof dome. Which yours may not even have? Plus cabling, plus CCF editing, plus, plus...

Curious to know how they get the softkey to pop up on the screen without editing the CCF.

Not sure I could justify $1250 when I paid $150 for my TomTom, but if it works as promised....

Thanks for taking the time to have a look into this for me.

The car doesn't have a dome on the roof, will get in contact with the naviplus people and see how I go.

Thanks

Post #292024 29th Feb 2016 5:16 am
Alpenostrand

Austria 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

You can easily mount the GPS antenna on top of your dash. Will work if you don't mind the look.

Post #292027 29th Feb 2016 6:58 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

My last car failed its MOT because I had a Tom Tom nat sav stuck to the screen they said was liable to interfere with the drivers vision, so it was taken off the screen and stuck to the dash top in the same position and then it was ok even though it still interfered with the vision as they put it but it wasnt on the screen.
I wonder how they get on if you have a big spare wheel on the bonnet?
Or like America a huge blower sticking up out of the bonnet?

Post #292037 29th Feb 2016 8:27 am
dugong1121

Australia 

This is my first post, not sure i'm in the right space, been reading many posts and this one seems to have the best info...

I have just purchased a 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE MY13 it only has AV & phone & rear camera - no NAV - but a NAV button...

is this my only option? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Land-Rover-Free...772225997?

I've spoken to a dealer and they're willing to remove the LCD screen unit from my dash so I can plug it into a computer & update/download maps...
not sure if this will work or be a waste of time & money?

any advice?

Post #325445 19th Jun 2017 3:26 am
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

The navigation system (well the OEM Jaguar Land Rover one anyhow) has nothing to do with the touchscreen, it's incorporated into the Audio Control Module (aka the IAM) which has an internal hard drive that the maps are stored on.

To make a factory retrofit you need to change the IAM to a Level 3 version, add the GPS antenna, edit the CCF to enable the navigation function, and lastly install new maps.

The problem with that is a brand new IAM2.1 Level 3 unit is about $3000 for a new unit, plus the other costs for the antenna, wiring, programming & maps.

If you take a 2nd hand IAM then it needs to be reprogrammed to change the VIN that is recorded in the unit, otherwise you will have all sorts of trouble installing maps (the map license is based on the VIN).

The availability of 2nd hand IAM's in Australia is extremely limited, and you will pay quite a premium for a used one. If you buy one from overseas it will need to be loaded with the AUS/NZ maps either way.

Plus you still need someone to do the programming, in order to enable the Nav functions, and correct the VIN in the unit.

While I could do all this, it will come in at a similar cost to one of those eBay kits in the end... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #325448 19th Jun 2017 5:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12