« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Can't trace wind noise coming from driver's door
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scott_101

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Can't trace wind noise coming from driver's door

Hello, long time forum lurker here. I recently changed from a 2012 HSE which I had from new, to a 2014 Metropolis which has a really annoying whistling noise coming from, what seems to be the top of the drivers door, but could be from anywhere in the general area. The noise only appears when at high speed 60mph+, but I have failed miserably in trying to track down the source. I've tried masking tape over pretty much everything around the door including the spaces around the wing mirror, taken off the roof rail covers and checked everything is in place (doesn't look like it ever had rood rails fitted) and even played around with the door catch position to make sure it closes as tightly as possible. However, nothing helps or even changes the sound to give me a hint of where it's coming from. I've obviously searched the forum too but I can't see that anyone has posted anything related to this (i've reset the windows on the basis of previous posts but no luck).

Anyone had anything similar or any ideas what it could be?

The car is an approved used LR, but the dealer has made me wait 5 weeks just to get it looked at and from past experience, and the time I've already spent on this, I have very little faith in them finding and fixing the problem. Hoping someone here could give me some additional guidance on what to ask the dealer to look at.

Many thanks.

**update**
Fixed by dealer replacing the drivers door window lining.

Last edited by Scott_101 on 12th Jun 2017 5:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #324235 30th May 2017 12:28 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Wing mirror noise on most FL2's at speed. Well known for it. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #324237 30th May 2017 12:35 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi Scott, has the windscreen been replaced at some point I wonder, could be worth taping over the edge of the screen and the door pillar. What about the roof, is it glass panoramic, could the noise be coming in from here perhaps? Only other thing I could think of is the vent on top of the dash near the speaker

Post #324238 30th May 2017 12:38 pm
Scott_101

Thanks for the suggestions. My previous freelander 2 didn't make noise like this from the wing mirror and the passenger side is quiet too so I'm sure it's something odd with the car rather than an inherent wind noise problem from the mirror.

Windscreen has been replaced and its got a panoramic roof too but the noise definitely seems to be from around the drivers door (it's right by my ear). I have checked around windscreen and roof and used marking tape here with no avail...

I read somewhere about a rubber gasket on the wing mirrors which can come loose, but I took the top plastic case of both sides and couldn't see anything like this?

Post #324249 30th May 2017 2:44 pm
oldsalt

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

You've probably already checked , but make sure the door seal is correctly located in the door frame corner closest to your ear. If necessary use a rubber mallet to make sure it is. Mine had the same problem and this improved matters.
Good luck.

Post #324259 30th May 2017 4:33 pm
free dave

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

As above door mirrors well known for it also make sure the upper door frame is sitting flush with the roof and the back door Last thing make sure the windows are all the way home

Post #324265 30th May 2017 5:29 pm
unciepaul68

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I sometimes hear a similar noise when one of the air vents isn't completeley open or closed?

Post #324280 30th May 2017 7:15 pm
Scott_101

Just an update. Dealer actually managed to fix it by replacing the drivers door window lining. Air was getting into the space around the glass and causing the whistling noise as it circulated.. Very glad to get this sorted - especially as it was fixed under warranty (I imagine it wouldn't be cheap to get LR to investigate and fixed this normally).

Post #325043 12th Jun 2017 4:48 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Dealer actually managed to fix it by replacing the drivers door window lining.

This would be the plastic lining no doubt perforated by a previous intervention to sort another issue out at a dealers. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #325054 12th Jun 2017 8:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1