« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander II Flat battery now sunroof not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kalahari

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Bali Blue
Freelander II Flat battery now sunroof not working

Can anyone please advise, ignition left on and inevitable flat battery. Got her recharged and started, recalabrated the windows but sunroof won't work anyone help with this please? Also is there any other things to look out for as a consequence of a flat battery that may not be obvious at moment. ie mirrors retracting on key fob??

Post #147956 7th Jul 2012 1:06 pm
colinmccreath

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
sunroof also not working

I wondered if you had fixed your sunroof? Something very similar happened to me on Friday... My wife had used the car the day before and everything was fine, I jumped in the next morning, powered the seat back (slowly??) and went to start it and nothing... HDC warning lights etc and then it would not not even eject the key form the ignition, so it appeared to have a completely flat battery. It started OK with jump leads off another car and has been fine since. I got the battery checked and it along with the alternator have been given a clean bill of health. I have reset the windows OK but the sunroof will not work even after attempting the LR 20sec reset procedure.

Any ideas as to how I can bring the sunroof back to life?

Also any idea how the battery could completely drain in the space of 24hrs when nothing seemed to have been left on - the car was locked and lights etc all off??

Post #151686 20th Aug 2012 12:57 pm
alex_pescaru

You need to (re)calibrate it. Meaning it has to (re)learn the fully open and fully close positions.

Quote from the handbook (I wonder what's this ? Laughing), page 110:

If the battery is disconnected, or the power supply is interrupted, whilst the sunroof is partially open it will need to be recalibrated.
Once the battery is reconnected, or the power supply is restored, recalibrate the sunroof as follows:
1. Switch the ignition on.
2. Press the front of the sunroof switch, and hold for twenty seconds.
3. After twenty seconds the sunroof will begin to move. Keep the front of the switch pressed until the sunroof has fully opened, then closed.
4. Once the open/close cycle has completed and the sunroof has stopped moving, release the switch.
The sunroof can now be operated as normal.

Post #151707 20th Aug 2012 5:14 pm
ad210358

England 
Re: sunroof also not working

colinmccreath wrote:

Also any idea how the battery could completely drain in the space of 24hrs when nothing seemed to have been left on - the car was locked and lights etc all off??

I had a battery fail at Easter in 45 minutes, used the car, and 45 minutes later dead, just enough power to light the panel lights but not enough to eject the fob, LR Assist plugged in what looked very similar to a Credit Card machine to the battery, the print out said " No 3 Cell Faulty" battery replaced there and then.

Post #151713 20th Aug 2012 5:46 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

My battery went flat in 24 hours - also a 2007 model. I'm fairly certain it's because I used the tailgate opening button on the key fob, and when I shut the tailgate (which appears to lock the car) the electrics failed to shut down. I've always double-locked it properly since and the problem has never recurred. The rescue man who attended suggested the alarm going off had caused it, which is rubbish - I'd have heard it as it was right outside my window. There were a lot of posts about flat batteries in the earlier cars, with various possibilities suggested - a search may turn up some of them. Leaving the wipers or lights on auto were two further suggestions. Not double-locking seemed to be the favourite.

Post #151737 20th Aug 2012 10:17 pm
colinmccreath

alex_pescaru wrote:
You need to (re)calibrate it. Meaning it has to (re)learn the fully open and fully close positions.

Quote from the handbook (I wonder what's this ? Laughing), page 110:

If the battery is disconnected, or the power supply is interrupted, whilst the sunroof is partially open it will need to be recalibrated.
Once the battery is reconnected, or the power supply is restored, recalibrate the sunroof as follows:
1. Switch the ignition on.
2. Press the front of the sunroof switch, and hold for twenty seconds.
3. After twenty seconds the sunroof will begin to move. Keep the front of the switch pressed until the sunroof has fully opened, then closed.
4. Once the open/close cycle has completed and the sunroof has stopped moving, release the switch.
The sunroof can now be operated as normal.

Alex,

When I said above that I had done the LR 20sec procedure I meant I had carried out the procedure in the handbook which you describe above and this did not work. So I am still unclear as to how to bring the sunroof back to life......

Post #151756 20th Aug 2012 11:05 pm
colinmccreath

Past master wrote:
My battery went flat in 24 hours - also a 2007 model. I'm fairly certain it's because I used the tailgate opening button on the key fob, and when I shut the tailgate (which appears to lock the car) the electrics failed to shut down. I've always double-locked it properly since and the problem has never recurred. The rescue man who attended suggested the alarm going off had caused it, which is rubbish - I'd have heard it as it was right outside my window. There were a lot of posts about flat batteries in the earlier cars, with various possibilities suggested - a search may turn up some of them. Leaving the wipers or lights on auto were two further suggestions. Not double-locking seemed to be the favourite.

Thanks, this does sound like a possibility as to date we have never bothered double locking the car, so will try and remember to do this from now on! I am wondering if the fact that the sunroof has stopped working is in some way linked to the problem though?? I will need to check obvious things like fuses first though.....

Post #151757 20th Aug 2012 11:08 pm
alex_pescaru

colinmccreath wrote:
Alex,
When I said above that I had done the LR 20sec procedure I meant I had carried out the procedure in the handbook which you describe above and this did not work. So I am still unclear as to how to bring the sunroof back to life......

Sorry, I didn't saw you're message... Embarassed
I've tried to answer to the OP message....
My bad that I didn't saw that was an old thread brought back to life by you... Embarassed

Post #151758 20th Aug 2012 11:11 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You should always double lock. The electrics don't shut down on a single lock - at least on the early cars. There were lots of posts about this in the past.

Post #152184 24th Aug 2012 4:31 pm
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Silly question, but have you checked the fuse? May have blown... 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #152185 24th Aug 2012 4:34 pm
Kalahari

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Bali Blue

I tried the stuff in the manuel to no avail. I was then advised to disconnect the battery completely wait for a couple of minutes then reconnect terminal and start again. The memeory needs to clear and then it roboots itself and the sunroof should work. I tried it and out sorted it straight away.
may have to follow maual procedure after reconnecting to battery.
Let me know if it works.

Post #152392 26th Aug 2012 11:38 am
Saithe

Obviously an old thread, but I've just tried to fix my sunroof with the above procedure, i.e. disconnecting the battery. It didn't work.

I then pulled the sunroof fuse (passenger side fusebox), waited a minute, plugged it back in and recalibrated.
Works like a charm! Very Happy

No idea why disconnecting the battery didn't work, since you'd assume it would be the same as a fuse pull Rolling Eyes

Post #325022 11th Jun 2017 8:13 pm
Darzetboy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've had exactly the same problem today. Left the keys in with sunroof and driver's window open and battery flattened after a few hours. Jumped the FL2 from wife's C-Class and got going but no windows functioning and sunroof wouldn't shut. After ignition off and re-starting windows came back to life but not sunroof. Tried the handbook re-calibration procedure, but nothing. Checked the fuse, not blown, left it out for a couple of minutes, put it back in and sunroof is working fine.

Had a similar issue last time battery went flat. Lost all console instruments (speedo, revs, fuel, indicator arrows etc.) so removed fuse, heard a 'click', put it back in, everything fine after that.

I'm wary of disconnecting the battery because of all the other possible implications, fuse out and in again is always better, at least as a place to start.

Post #326427 2nd Jul 2017 5:46 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nothing wrong with a hard reset it's worked for me lots of times.

Post #326433 2nd Jul 2017 8:40 pm
tomdutchman

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Thought to just ad my experience with the sunroof.
I have a Freelander 2 MY2007. Just passt MOT Yesterday (TUV in Germany) with some remarks on oil sweating underneath and rust on the under carriage but still I was pretty relieved nothing else came up....
Just drove home today and wanted to close the sunroof a mile out from the house. It stopped halfway and opened up again, with a smal snapping noise Shocked . Tried it again and reopened again. worked fine before that day, so i was confused. I then closed it by holding the button down. this closed it but put it in "Safe mode". So manual operation only with the problem that it doesn't close shut, but opens up little on the back as described by others.
I then tried the recalibration a number of times but it always went all the way open, then about 2 cm close and it stopped.

Checked the blacklandy forum and here at the Freel2 and found the tip for pulling the sunroof fuse at the passengers side fusebox.

After that I needed two Calibration runs to get it working again. At the first run it stopped in the back again, just like before.
It made a hell of a cracking noise at the end of the second run whilst being in the closed postion and tilting the backside up for the small setting. Big Cry I actually thought I killed it there, but now it seems to run smooth. I presume something popped back in place..

With a torch I can see that the plastic mounts holding the glas have some small cracks, and I found a small peace of plastic whilst cleaning and lubricating the whole lot, so I guess at a certain point it might break down on me...

For now I'm happy though. hope this might help other Freelander Drivers out there, not gibing up to early Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tom

Post #392875 19th Jun 2020 8:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>