« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Windscreen cracked
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
seadog

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Windscreen cracked

My windscreen has cracked, a nice curved crack low on passenger side, caused by a stone I think, this will be the third time the screen has been changed, it was changed under warranty because one heater element wasn't working but they screwed it up and it wasn't fitted square in the aperture so it was done again.

I'm insured with Direct Line and you have to go through Autoglass, no option and can't talk to anyone, they just direct you to the Autoglass site.

Now, how good are Autoglass? I've heard different tales from various people....and will they fit a genuine LR replacement, the car (64 Metropolis) is still under warranty until September.

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations I'd like to hear them please.

Post #324388 1st Jun 2017 9:18 pm
seadog

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Just rung Autoglass and they will fit a genuine LR screen because the vehicle is less than 3 years old so that's one question answered, just hope they fit it ok.

Post #324389 1st Jun 2017 9:30 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

I had one go on the previous landrover still under warranty,
went to Autoglass Saltney , took one look told them they went to dealer
picked up new windscreen fitted all perfect, told insurance company only genuine part as still under manufacturers warranty, they rang dealer sourced and fitted next day a1 service (for me anyway ) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #324390 1st Jun 2017 9:31 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I insisted on an OE one from Autoglass when mine was six years old. Got one too. To anyone else who has this problem - you're insuring a LandRover. INSIST on LandRover parts to be fitted. If you had a wheel rim, door or a bonnet damaged, would you accept a pattern part? No! Well why settle for a pattern windscreen then? Stick to your guns and you'll get one.

OP - double check before they fit it that it actually is an OE one. Should be Fuyao

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic18704.html Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #324391 1st Jun 2017 10:15 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I had to use Autoglass or pay the whole price with LV. So I insisted on a LR screen as its heated. Got what I wanted and OK with fitting all well except the hole from the last stone that hit it. Big Cry FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #324398 1st Jun 2017 11:20 pm
Dave19

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Get Autoglass to check there is no corrosion in any of the areas surrounding the windscreen as I had similar problems with a Discovery some years ago. The problem was finally cured once the corrosion was treated.

Post #324400 2nd Jun 2017 5:53 am
webby-lr

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Ipanema Sand
Autoglass Glass- OEM etc.

Had a rear quarter-light claim a couple of weeks ago on my 2013....Allianz insurance.
Insisted on OEM/branded replacement via Autoglass, like for like. I had a similar claim recently on a Volvo which was recently done no problems at all.
Initially my insurer declined like for like replacement, so I complained to them.
Autoglass (who by now I wasn't looking forward to seeing) turned up ...lo and behold.... with branded glass and fitted it....first class service.
Just wished I hadn't been treated like a scumbag when all I wanted was to get it back to the way it had been before.......
Insurers responded to my complaint and refunded my excess too....well happy!

Post #324487 3rd Jun 2017 4:51 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My windscreen developed a 11 inch crack at the bottom near edge of windscreen heater (cooling?) vent on drivers side.

I was just on shopping trips around town, and there was no noise - that I noticed.

I wonder if it failed during the half a dozen sun-heating / air-con-cooling cycles in the 29 degree heat today.

Thanks to this thread I will be contacting my insurance appointed AUTOGLASS depot tomorrow to check that I am getting a LR replacement. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #353002 9th Jul 2018 8:36 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Had Autoglass out to replace screen on my Forester a few years ago; wasn't overly impressed with them, had to call them back out, think it was due there being gaps that appeared around the rubber trim in the top corners.
Sadly Autoglass pretty much have a monopoly on the insurance company repairs.

Post #353003 9th Jul 2018 10:37 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Direct Line told me that I had to use Autoglass, but MOT was due and Autoglass wouldn’t look at it for over three weeks, so I simply took it to a local indie and filed a claim to Direct Line, which was paid with no question. It’s the same with accident damage, insurers will tell you who their preferred local agent is, but I don’t think they can insist. Only downside is having to pay out yourself and then claim back. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #353009 10th Jul 2018 6:32 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Had my windscreen glass replaced this morning at Autoglass depot in Bristol.
It took 2 hours and seemed very efficient. I was informed that the glass is guaranteed during my ownership of vehicle.

While I was waiting I popped into the Land Rover Dealership (about 2-300yards away), to check that my MOT, service, and courtesy car were all set up for next week. As normal they were very friendly and gave me a cup of coffee and a paper to read while I waited, (and they knew my a car was in another garage).

Had a look around and noticed that theit FL2 Metro was for sale at £24K with 26k miles, which is more than I paid for mine a year ago with 16k miles. Also I noticed that there were 6 pre registered Velars for sale with 10 miles on clock ????

Had a sit in the displayed RRS (very nice) and Velar (very nice design, but seating seemed low [perhaps I need a cushion])

I then looked at the price of these and so I bought a lottery ticket. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #353227 12th Jul 2018 9:19 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Went out to the car today and found the rear screen gone. Bloody council operatives were round yesterday replacing street sign so suspect it was them as glass had clearly been chipped? Annoyed, since I asked if they wanted car moving and was told not necessary Censored
Any way, called Council who say they'll cover costs, policy excess etc. Insurers use Autoglass who can't get replacement until Tuesday so they're outside as I type fitting Perspex until then.
Now to source replacement stickers and badges.

Post #370892 26th Apr 2019 3:49 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

IanMetro wrote:
I wonder if it failed during the half a dozen sun-heating / air-con-cooling cycles in the 29 degree heat today.

Doubt it. Have had over 40 outside many times & up to mid 40 so at least 60 inside the car & cold air hits the windscreen to reduce radiant heat. Same with previous cars. Never had an issue. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #370970 27th Apr 2019 8:15 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Isn't it a bit odd that anything but a genuine LR windscreen will ever be fitted? After all windscreens will only fit one vehicle and I can't believe that there is a sufficient aftermarket in broken windscreens (for any vehicle) for some other supplier to gear up to make them. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #370976 28th Apr 2019 9:32 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Lightwater wrote:
IanMetro wrote:

Doubt it. Have had over 40 outside many times & up to mid 40 so at least 60 inside the car & cold air hits the windscreen to reduce radiant heat. Same with previous cars. Never had an issue.

I managed to crack a windscreen while camping - after a very wet night with hail and thunderstorms in the south of France, I moved the car into direct sun and draped the tent over the windscreen and bonnet to dry out. When I took the dry tent off, there was a big crack across the passenger side of the screen. I’m assuming water in a minor, pre-existing chip expanded and caused the crack. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #370978 28th Apr 2019 11:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>