« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Deadlocked
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ukwestspeed

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Deadlocked

Hi hope someone can help. I have replaced the rear door lock on my FL, only to find now that the replacement mechanism has failed and the door is effectively deadlocked. Although you can hear the mechanism working when you press the fob, and the interior latch mechanism is still able to sound like it is unlocking the door, I cant get the door open. I have managed to remove the door card but can see no way to manually open the door. Any ideas greatly appreciated before I have to resort to brute force! Shocked

Post #323389 15th May 2017 11:18 am
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The motors within the locking mechanism operate the levers you should be able to see if you have the door card off. I would be inclined to have someone stand outside the door to operate the external handle whilst you move each lever in turn until the door opens.

Did you replace with new or used?

Post #323393 15th May 2017 11:43 am
ukwestspeed

Thanks, i have the old unit (which I replaced with new) that I have been looking at but havent found away to release the latch apart from where it is not accessible on teh car. The problem is more difficulat as the motor unit is at 90 degrees to the latch which makes access very difficult. I have a new warrnaty unit coming out but was hoping there was a long shot way to open it without force

Post #323403 15th May 2017 1:27 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

From the manual, check the following:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #323407 15th May 2017 1:46 pm
ukwestspeed

Thank you for this, the issue is that the lock was in a deadlocked state and as such lifting the latch shown has no effect. However, after another days effort I have resolved the situation. With difficulty and with the door shut I managed to get the door card off and move the window mechanism. I then managed to remove the door handle (breaking only the end cap in the process), which gave access to the lock.

The lock has an anti tamper cover which you can remove by unscrewing 1 torx screw once you have access through the door. You can then access the latch through the inside of the door through the top of the lock and operate the latch with your fingers.

Once I removed the lock I opened it up and could see that the deadlock mechanism had indeed failed - a small u piece of plastic had come unseated and jammed the mechanism. So really it shows the risk you may take using non oem parts as the lock was clearly inferior. The supplier did apologise and immediately sent out a new lock, however it ended up taking several hours in the end.

I hope if you are unfortunate enough to have this situation it may help, as I could not find anywhere on line that described a work around

Post #323583 18th May 2017 6:58 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #323595 18th May 2017 9:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1