« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > UK ‘Type Approval’ for Towbars and Attachments
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
UK ‘Type Approval’ for Towbars and Attachments

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge and can offer advice regarding UK ‘Type Approval’ for towbars and attachments to towbars.

I have a ‘Towsure’ Towbar Mounted Cycle Rack in my garage which I have had but not used for a good few years. This consists of a 10mm plate which bolts on the towball mounting, two arms which hold the bikes and locate into 12mm square tubes welded to the plate.

Back in the 1990s when Type Approval was introduced for towing equipment I was told that I could no longer use this as it would invalidate the towbars Type Approval. Recently I have been informed that it is down to the towbar manufacturer (LR / Brink in my case) to determine if such attachments can be used. Pity really as although the rack is not new it’s serviceable and in perfect condition. I suppose I could buy the Witter bike rack which I understand is universally approved but I was trying to get away spending £110+ for something I’ll only use occasionally. One interesting point is that as I have a bolt on towball type towbar, it is supplied by LR with a 25mm spacer. With the cycle rack plate attached that would be the equivalent of a 35mm spacer. Would that affect the Type Approval or should a 12mm spacer be fitted in lieu?

The reason I’m asking is that I’ve been carrying bikes on the roof for a number of years but over the last few months I’ve had issues with height barriers on carparks. Only last weekend I had to park the car on a busy road in order to offload the bikes before parking the car (I can understand the local authorities putting barriers up as there have been issues with travellers in this part of the county)

Any advice would be appreciated.

All the best,

Chris Gone:
2002 FL1 TD4 GS Zambezi Silver
2007 FL2 TD4 GS Izmir Blue

Post #322554 28th Apr 2017 9:47 pm
Dartman the one

England 

It's a bit of a funny, anything built before type approval for universal fixing to vehicles is legal, you cannot copy that unit bolt for bolt and weld for weld as it would be new and need type approval. You can use a 1950's built trailer even if fitted with a 50mm ball bar before type approval, however you may not be able to use a type approved 2" draw bar trailer by fitting a 2" ball to your tow bar as it is only type approved for a 50mm ball. Should your cycle rack fit your tow bar it is legal, if either need modification to it, it isn't. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #322558 29th Apr 2017 5:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1