Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Main Dealer B Service (advice needed)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
anaylor85

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey
Main Dealer B Service (advice needed)

I have taken my car to a well known main dealer. It was due it's Major Service and MOT. My dash cam shows that the car was in the workshop for 1 hour.

I lifted the bonnet to ensure that they did not leave a mess and was surprised that it looked like they hadn't even touched it. So I took off the air box to find a dirty unchanged air filter, I cannot see any of the other serviceable items so don't know if these have been changed.

So I call the dealer and spoke to the after sales manager who asked me to come down, he and aworkshop technician looked at the filter and confirmed it had not been changed. So I now believe that the service was not completed and they just happerly fleeced me out of money.

They have said to return the car next week and they will complete another full service but how do I know it's been done? Ive complete lost respect for them. I'm just after some advice on what you would do?

Post #322046 22nd Apr 2017 6:21 pm
zanteboy01

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I wonder if they will invite you to complete a questionnaire on how well they have fleeced/served you! Maybe an email to LR direct would be of benefit, but then again I suspect you will get a typically corporate response. But seriously, well done for checking, I only wish I had taken such measures on our last 2, main dealer services ... . It won't be going to main dealer again! (brake pads apparently became thicker with increased mileage ....).

Post #322051 22nd Apr 2017 6:40 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Demand a full refund take it to a recommended indy garage & don't forget to name & shame the dealer.

Post #322052 22nd Apr 2017 6:45 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Was the B service done on the "over 3 years old" deal for £350 ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #322063 22nd Apr 2017 8:31 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

With the old screw-on metal cased oil filters you could scratch on a date but its not possible with cartridge filters.

You could ask to see the old filters that are removed (standard procedure when I get my diving regulators serviced - all o-rings, filters and seals that are replaced are given to me in a plastic bag as proof of work done.) Jules

Post #322065 22nd Apr 2017 8:44 pm
anaylor85

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Was the B service done on the "over 3 years old" deal for £350 ?

It was price matched at £350 as they don't yet know if they are participating in the 3+ or not yet. Does this change what is completed on a major service?

Post #322069 22nd Apr 2017 9:47 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Demand a complete refund as if they can't be arsed to change your air filter your fuel filter will not have been touched. In an hour they may just have changed the oil (filter ?) and kicked the tyres.

An A service would not run at £350 so it must have been accepted as B. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322118 23rd Apr 2017 3:52 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

What dealer was it? As ive no end of problems with my local derbyshire dealer not doing anything they should do on 2 approved LR

Post #322128 23rd Apr 2017 4:38 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

typical dealer form, they move your car from where you parked it and leave it for a couple of hours.

then the guys with the big brushes jetwash it.

as far as a service goes not a thing has been done and you pay the £350 none the wiser.

but you do get a stamp in the service book for your £350, and maybe a few scratches on the paintwork for your trouble.

Iain

Post #322451 27th Apr 2017 8:12 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Yep, when we bought our car 2 years old from a main dealer, part of the deal was a " free next service " Laughing the oil was as black as coal.... what a set of shysters. One of the reasons I'll never touch another LR product again. With the Audi I had as a company car, not only was reception of the car swift, efficient, and drive through with a very , very, nice lady dressed like cabin crew Rolling with laughter but you could watch your service on webcam. On arrival your car was also video-ed, no disputes arising from that as there was a record.

With the Indy we use now, you get to see all the parts that have come out or off.

I've just booked my Scooby in for it's first service which will coincide with both 12months and 12k. Total work needed in the year, one check on the oil dilution levels from DPF regen, at 5 months. This also got me a free oil change so we could monitor everything was OK. The only other problems I've had in 12 months was a) a puncture b) the head unit in the car won't read my texts from the iPhone 7 I got last month, so might need a software update. It's a nice family dealership free from the greased weasel slickness of the glass gin palaces that are the LR norm today, I just feel plain uncomfortable in such places that are there to sell me PCP rather than a vehicle Whistle 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #322458 27th Apr 2017 9:01 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

"Yep, when we bought our car 2 years old from a main dealer, part of the deal was a " free next service " Laughing the oil was as black as coal.... what a set of shysters."

That is unreasonable, I have changed the oil myself on a number of diesels over the years and it is always black. I have yet to see a diesel after an oil change (even when flushing oil is used) come back with clear oil. Conversly on a petrol it is always clear. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #322463 27th Apr 2017 9:31 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Ah well I stand to be corrected, but that car went in after 11 months and 2500 miles, and I honestly feel it did not get more than a wash. I've checked my Audis and Beemers after service and there was always a translucent glimmer to the dark oil , not Jet Black. On another occasion they advised me it needed new discs on the front, it didn't, they advised new pads on the rear it didn't need them , after the extended warranty was up off I went to the Indies. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #322469 27th Apr 2017 10:53 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Got to side with Dorset on Diesel oil Martyn, very difficult to be able to tell if oil is new or not.

I think from reading other posts the issue (especially at the dealers that sell finance not cars) is more to do with filters, both oil and diesel not being changed as they are a pig to get at.

Currently I am leaning towards dropping my oil myself at 6K with no filter change and then use a man at 12K to struggle with oil filter and new oil. Good oil of course. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322496 28th Apr 2017 8:32 am
weekender

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

hi yorky, but how do you know that they have changed the filter and oil, i think you need to find another dealer if you have a 13 reg rather than slagging off dealers

try google you Censored

Post #322594 29th Apr 2017 5:54 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
"Yep, when we bought our car 2 years old from a main dealer, part of the deal was a " free next service " Laughing the oil was as black as coal.... what a set of shysters."

That is unreasonable, I have changed the oil myself on a number of diesels over the years and it is always black. I have yet to see a diesel after an oil change (even when flushing oil is used) come back with clear oil. Conversly on a petrol it is always clear.

Well, being in the trade , I can tell you that a 'quick' oil change on a diesel done at service speed, will result in black looking oil when you check the oil level after filling with fresh oil. You probably only need less than 250ml of old oil left in the engine to turn the new oil black. However, when I do diesel oil changes, after warming the engine fully and leaving it draining for at least an hour while I get on with checking brakes etc I can guarantee that the oil on the dipstick will be as clean as a petrol engine when filled with fresh oil and that's without using any flush. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #322600 29th Apr 2017 8:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>