Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Removing the rear seats!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PR

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
Removing the rear seats!

Off on a three month sojourn through France and debating removing the rear seats, to give us extra room, not for weight but for capacity!
I have to carry Lizzies mobility scooter in the boot area, and carry a supplementary fridge, two crates of food, a reclining chair and my lightweight bike! As we will not be carrying any passengers at any point, I thought I might take out the rear seats, simply to give me volume, not for extra weight capacity!
Any thoughts? 1998 300TDi Auto Disco, never to be forgotten.
2008 Auto TD4 Freelander2, now gone?
2013 Auto SD4 Freelander!
A proud member of Landytown.com
Visit our blog at
http://paullizlifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com/ updated October 2017

Post #321244 11th Apr 2017 8:29 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

My FL is a moving skip as I have allotments etc, one of the reasons I have kept it is it has a flat load space were as a DS and many other 4WD's are all over the place. I would leave the seats in and maybe get a tow bar bike rack. there is still a lot of storage under the front seats and under rears squabs behind front seats when layed down for odds and sods.

Amazing what you can do if you try, our FL went into limp mode the night before we headed off the airport a month ago. We still got there in a SLK with 2 large duffle type bags, 2 rucksacks and one full set of Ski Mountaineering gear. Skis just fitted inside. Very Happy FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #321246 11th Apr 2017 9:06 pm
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

If you just remove the rear seat bases (the bits that tip forward and occupy valuable space behind the front seats) you will get a significant amount of extra space. They're very easy to take out, if you've got the right Torx socket!

Post #321257 12th Apr 2017 5:52 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I removed the seat bases only for travelling and flat boot to sleep if needed. Also remove the head rests & get rid of the boot roll up cover as well. Also removing rear floor mats will save a couple of cm in height.

A couple of times we slept in the car and the only things we had to put outside was the 2 fold up chairs, the rest we could put in the front of the car with the esky on the front seat. We had 1 x 20 litre, 1 x 10L, 3 x 5L & 3 x 1.0L water containers onboard sitting behind the front seats.

You will be surprised what you can stuff inside the spare wheel. We had a Snatch strap & Winch extension strap https://www.arb.com.au/products/recovery-e...essories/. Toilet paper stuffed here & there (not really needed here in National Parks), but just in case & small spade. In France you will need it), usually smaller, 50% used, rolls pack in best.

Sand flag, 4 tent poles, hammer for tent pegs. 1kg fire extinguisher, tire repair kit, compressor & hoses, jumper leads, 2 x 17 ah batteries for backup. Sun shades for all windows. Tent & 3 tarps (1 for the tent)

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27606.html

Don't forget to remove your local street directory before you head off, dead weight & takes up space! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #321262 12th Apr 2017 7:42 am
Largered

Hi,

I took out the rear seat bases and rear head rests. Folded down the rear seats and covered with the 'FL2 Commercial' Rubber Mat. See photo.

This mat is an extension of the main rear boot rubber mat and they lock together. A very neat solution.

Post #322428 27th Apr 2017 2:18 pm
Largered

here is another photo. The seat bases were not taken out on this photo, just needed to know how it looked.

Click image to enlarge

Post #322429 27th Apr 2017 2:37 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Want one. Thumbs Up Mat that is. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #322431 27th Apr 2017 2:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1