« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Going no where fast
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gally

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Caspian Blue
Going no where fast

Hi all, got a 2008 FL2 about 6 months ago no real problems, until about 5 weeks ago needed to replace a bearing, fair enough that happens, then a few days later went to start in the morning and just seemed dead, just clicking and no turnover. Got it started first time with a power pack and was fine for a few weeks until yesterday when almost the same thing happened, except this time the engine eventually caught at the second attempt but was running at really low revs.
Pressing the accelerator had no effect on the engine, just kept ticking over slowly. Abolutely no indication of any problems the previous day, now sitting usless in the drive Sad
Any ideas?, cheers

Post #318734 3rd Mar 2017 3:03 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

More info needed like when fuel filter last changed, have you just topped up with fuel, how old is battery etc. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #318740 3rd Mar 2017 5:19 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Presume it's diesel, what was it very cold when it wouldn't start? were do you get your fuel from? and as Bob says when was the fuel filter changed? Common sense isn't very common.

Post #318750 3rd Mar 2017 8:14 pm
Gally

Thanks for the replys.
Yes diesel, Seems to be a good supply of paperwork with the car and most work done at LR dealer. fuel filter was last replaced Feb 16, battery was replaced June 13. filled up at a Sainsburys on Monday night, first time I had used it. problem started thursday after. it was cold here thursday morning, requiring window scraping. Also meant to say on original post, message popped up saying "engine system fault" just as i switched it off and when the engine was running the exhaust was running some black smoke. sorry not very mechanically aware Embarassed

Post #318770 4th Mar 2017 12:10 am
Gally

Thanks for the replys.
Yes diesel, Seems to be a good supply of paperwork with the car and most work done at LR dealer. fuel filter was last replaced Feb 16, battery was replaced June 13. filled up at a Sainsburys on Monday night, first time I had used it. problem started thursday after. it was cold here thursday morning, requiring window scraping. Also meant to say on original post, message popped up saying "engine system fault" just as i switched it off and when the engine was running the exhaust was running some black smoke. sorry not very mechanically aware Embarassed

Post #318771 4th Mar 2017 12:11 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

you need to buy a code reader or get somebody who has one to see what codes are stored first. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #318775 4th Mar 2017 3:06 am
Gally

Sorry for late reply to this as was working away for a bit, but wanted to update since you took the time to respond to my post. I got Local guy from Fleetpoint in Newmilns who came up to the house, about 4 miles up a single track road, with a code reader diagnosed the problem and then came back and fitted the part, really good service and will use again.
Problem was throttle body which is now replaced and now running smoothly. Also no more shudder when engine switched off : Very Happy

Post #319985 22nd Mar 2017 2:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1