« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto gearbox question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Auto gearbox question

As I now have an SD4 auto I have been researching what I actually have. I asked the salesman if it had a fluid flywheel and just got a blank look so dug a bit deeper and it looks as if it's done with computer controlled double clutches like the Porsche PDK system (but probably slower). However I found on one site a company that does recon gearboxes for up to 2011 and refers to a fluid flywheel. So was there a change after 2011? Any ideas or info out there? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #319813 20th Mar 2017 10:37 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Fluid flywheel isn't a term I use, but it's just the torque converter isn't it? In which case, yes, the FL2 auto has a torque converter.

I'm not aware of any fundamental changes to the auto box after 2011 but I don't have the documentation to check. But as far as I'm aware all FL2 autos use the same Aisin 6-speed - this is a conventional automatic with a torque converter coupling it to the engine. I don't believe that the FL2 has ever used a double-clutch system.

Internally, of course, the auto box uses clutches to effect the changes - there are a total of 5 clutches in the Aisin box, plus a further one to implement lock-up in the torque converter.

Post #319820 20th Mar 2017 11:24 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Quote:
The Aisin AW TF-8# SC series is a 6 speed automatic transmission designed for use in transverse engine applications. It is designed to handle a maximum of 440 N·m (324.5 ft·lbf) of torque[citation needed]. It is built in Anjo, Japan.[1] It is also called the TF-80SC[2] (AWF21, AF40-6, AM6, AW6A-EL) and TF-81SC (AF21).[3]

The design team set out to create a 6 speed automatic that fits in the same space as a manual gearbox. It measures 358 mm (14.1 in) in length and weighs 90 kg (198 lb). Its combined use of a conventional 5-pinion planetary gearset and a compound Ravigneaux gearset makes it incredibly light and compact. This combination is known as a Lepelletier arrangement. The shifting of gears is managed by a sophisticated computer programme which oversees a clutch-to-clutch actuation. Gear changes are accomplished by one clutch engaging the instant the clutch from the previous gear disengages. The transmission control module (TCM) is located inside the transmission housing, instead of being located outside it. The advantage of this is to reduce external wiring as well as to provide a constant environment for TCM operation which encourages longevity. One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy.

It utilises a special AW-1 transmission fluid which is labelled as being maintenance free.

All wheel drive transfer cases can be fitted to the AWTF-80 SC, making it ideal for use in cross-over type SUVs.

I'm not exactly sure when the spec was changed but the key is the change to the transmission fluid.
Will also have different TCM, neutral functioning and there were changes internally to improve NVH and gearbox efficiency.[/quote][/quote] MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #319824 20th Mar 2017 11:39 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Interesting that the Aisin box is only able to cope with a maximum of 324 lb/ft of torque, when the FL2 came off the production line with 310 lb/ft as standard (IIRC)... not much margin for error or improvement of torque figures.

Post #319830 20th Mar 2017 1:03 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Better than the manual box, which iirc is only specced for 380Nm, less than the engine is capable of producing! This is presumably partly why engine torque is limited in first gear on the manual.

Post #319831 20th Mar 2017 1:06 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

the gearing in manuals in both Evoque and FL2 is lower in 1st and 2nd gear to help compensate (alongside TR) for the lack of low range transfer box.

The manual gearbox in both is the M66 gearbox as used in Volvo's amongst others. I think the Aisin auto was pretty much only used in the FL2 from 2006 til production end. But was changed to ZF 6 speed auto (followed by 8 & 9 speed) for the Evoque and other models.

But yes I had heard that the manuals were torque rated lower than the engine, which is probably partially the reason why gearbox components fail so readily on them.

Post #319837 20th Mar 2017 2:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1