Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 4 fault codes and reduced performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 

Mine threw up those codes, new EGR and all is well, extended warranty covered it all.

Post #319356 12th Mar 2017 9:44 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Cheers for info and we agree on the issue I think.

Will not like paying out for sorting it and great the extended warranty paid out for you. I hope to still be in front when sorted for not doing the extended but ready to take any hit.

By chance did you get a breakdown of the repair as in parts used ? Looking like these engines are secceptable to soot-ing up even if you change oil well before due dates etc. What mileage was it when yours fell over ? Mine has just crept over 50K. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #319358 12th Mar 2017 10:03 pm
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Sorry for your woe Bob! Seeing that yours, taz and mine are MY13 I am a bit worried about the EGR problem. My car has done just over 56K but it has been regularly serviced by Team Valley LR and driven long distance lots of time.

Post #319373 13th Mar 2017 10:15 am
alex_pescaru

Are you sure you are looking at the right culprit?
Because P0102 and P0110 are given when the MAF/IAT is with problems.
And because P0102 is for MAF and P0110 is for intake air temperature, both being in the same body, the problem must be looked on something common to both, meaning power or ground. Or the connector itself.
And the EGR error P0405 could be because the EGR "sanity" and efficiency is verified based on the intake air flow (MAF). If MAF info is bad, then for ECU it seems that EGR efficiency is bad.

I would check the power/gnd at MAF connection first.
And see that their wires go down from the MAF besides the battery case and sometimes, because vibrations, they chafe.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 13th Mar 2017 10:35 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #319374 13th Mar 2017 10:31 am
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

Yorky Bob wrote:
Decided to order one of these: Having cleared the codes car is now going from orange engine to re triangle depending on how it feels. Turbo seems fine for a mile or so and then getting some hesitation and rev limitation comes back

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301893232327

Will be 2 weeks before I get to to fit it so anyone with further ideas feel free to comment. Fuel filter changed in last 3 weeks so should not be fuel starvation

If the egr isn't being fully closed due to obstruction the turbo will be blowing all the air back through the exhaust instead of into the engine.

Post #319376 13th Mar 2017 10:34 am
Yorky Bob

Yorky Bob wrote:
Decided to order one of these: Having cleared the codes car is now going from orange engine to re triangle depending on how it feels. Turbo seems fine for a mile or so and then getting some hesitation and rev limitation comes back

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301893232327

Will be 2 weeks before I get to to fit it so anyone with further ideas feel free to comment. Fuel filter changed in last 3 weeks so should not be fuel starvation

BACK AT STAGE ONE AS COMPANY ABOVE SAID VALVE FITTED MY CAR THEN AFTER BEING PUSHED BY ME DECIDED IT DID NOT SO DO NOT USE.

Back from a 2 week trip so now desperate today to find a MAP sensor to try before EGR probably comes off. Fault code P04500. Still happy to hear any ideas of how to change / clean EGR. How desperate is it to remove ?

By way of an update I have been onto Andrew Page in Leeds at 08:30 this morning who say they can get me a sensor by lunchtime. around £57 with VAT. Hope its the right one. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320239 27th Mar 2017 8:16 am
Yorky Bob

By way of an update I have been onto Andrew Page in Leeds at 08:30 this morning who say they can get me a sensor by lunchtime. around £57 with VAT. Hope its the right one.[color=blue][/color

Yet more time wasting, part at Pages was wrong. Banging Head

Back to trying ordering yet again off the net using codes 6PP009400 - 721 Hella MAP Sensor LAND ROVER LR001324 £61.79 delivered.

Pages also picked wrong brake pads for rear brakes that I thought I would grab while there and I managed to spot it before leaving. Yawn FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320266 27th Mar 2017 1:02 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

paxman wrote:
Sorry for your woe Bob! Seeing that yours, taz and mine are MY13 I am a bit worried about the EGR problem. My car has done just over 56K but it has been regularly serviced by Team Valley LR and driven long distance lots of time.

mine has done 185k on the original EGR, and is still going strong - is the 2013 version different to the 2008 version? or is it software related? or do I drive differently to you - maybe I drive like miss Daisy Laughing Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #320288 27th Mar 2017 11:36 pm
Yorky Bob

Lots of changes around 2013 with DPF etc Andy. Ours gets plenty of long journey's so DPF should regenerate but I do not red line cars.

MAP sensor is in the post so hopefully by Friday we are moving on one way or another.

Off Topic

My lad turned up with his new Tesla yesterday, like a dog with 2 Censored Take off speed is phenomenal but the technology and backup have yet to be tested but in 10 years we will be all going that way I predict. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320303 28th Mar 2017 10:54 am
Yorky Bob

Its getting Serious

MAP sensor arrived this morning

Changed the MAP sensor and when it warms up error is back again and onto reduced power. Turbo lever is free moving and diesel and air filter are new. Able to rev freely from cold but the fault seems to be heat related, turbo pipes are not leaking but could collapse a bit I guess when hot.

Fault code is P0405. Local indie will be next port of call I guess. Long time since my trade time but it hurts and its not just money, modern electronics aren't they Censored Could be crud in EGR but indie was sceptical when I asked. Over to him on Wednesday

So come on you experts what next ?
 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320470 30th Mar 2017 3:42 pm
weekender

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

hi bob, my car is displaying similar symptoms to yours ( reduced power mode) but I am getting different error codes.

For months it would go into reduced power mode on and off with no real clue as to why it was doing it.

Then I started to get dpf errors bank 1 full type of thing so I changed the dpf sensor, I have a copy of the jlr sdd and that showed that the dpf wasnt full and it wouldnt do a forced regen.

Just recently it has started to show a dtc relating to the egr . I have tried using a egr cleaner spray but that didnt work so I am going to change both the egr and the egr cooler. I have found one on ebay from a 2013 car which the seller says will fit( I hope so) and have bought new gaskets so this weekend, if it doesnt Censored down again for a change I am going to get it changed. To get access to the rear of the engine, you have to remove the center bulkhead, the only reference that I can find relating to the removal of the center bulkhead is in a haynes manual, it says you have to remove the wipers and the scuttle. I assume that after doing this I will get better access to the egr. lets hope so, because it looks v tight.

It also says that you have to remove the lambada sensor from the exhaust, i cant see why you have to do this as it must unclip from the egr. Anyhow I need to get it sorted before my holidays

Post #320504 31st Mar 2017 6:50 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I know this may seem a little brutal but why not fit an EGR blanking plate?
Certainly gets rid of the is it or is it not passing and they are only a few pounds Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #320538 31st Mar 2017 3:52 pm
Yorky Bob

Thanks Andy but the MY13 on its not a real option. You can fit a plate with a hole in and alter the ECU I understand and even talked it over with the local Indie yesterday who said "plate and ECU works for about 2 months only on the MY13 on". Local indie gets the job Wednesday now, fingers crossed he gets to the bottom of it quite quickly.
As I refused an extended warranty I have a few quid a year later on to play with, if it was easy to rip out the EGR, throttle body etc at home they would be off and cleaned but they are all pretty much buried and hard to get at.

Love the car but if the later models all coke up at 50K there are some big bills coming to owners, the Old Geezer could well be correct with his view that supermarket fuel is crap. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #320542 31st Mar 2017 4:37 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Good luck with the EGR - we now have a SD4 (ewok) so similar problems await.
I used to work for a company that blended oils and additives - the base oil or fuel is very similar, it's the additives that cost, cheaper fuel = less additives = poorer combustion and more engine wear / injector life is reduced
Really easy, save money on fuel, spend more on maintenance Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #320543 31st Mar 2017 4:54 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

If the EGR is partially blocked and stuck open where will all of the boost go?....... You guest it back down the exhaust?.

What happens when this happens? A lack of pressure in the manifold. This would cause the PCM to think the sensor is goosed.

Get onto the EGR!

Post #320544 31st Mar 2017 4:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>