Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Noisey Fan Control Module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bombabim

Noisey Fan Control Module

My 2008 Freelander 2 is possibly developing an issue I wanted to get to early. I noticed a high pitched whine coming from around the radiator. Further investigation seems to pinpoint the noise to the Fan Control Module, I also noticed that the fans weren't spinning at all.

My colleague has a Freelander 2 as well so I borrowed the keys and checked to see how active the fans were (it is winter in Scotland so they might no be used much) and sure enough they were spinning occasionally at idle and briefly after shut down.

I went back to mine and have taken out the voltage input to the Control Module (voltage in is fine) and the two outlets to the fans. Once I replaced these the fans spun back up and did the same as my colleagues. Great a simple on and off and clean the plugs thing. Not so fast, the high pitch whine is back and the fans aren't spinning again. Having run it for a few days it is an intermittent fault and the whine comes and goes with no change in the temp indicator on the dashboard.

My thinking (given the evidence of the whine, fans that do work and a good voltage into the Control Module) that the Control Module is developing a fault. Given its' location at the top of the radiator and easy(ish) access this is something I can probably do myself without having to remove the front body work and radiator.

Anyone experienced similar of got any thoughts. A possible source for a new Control Module would be welcome too drawing a blank so far?

Thanks

Post #318571 1st Mar 2017 12:56 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Do you mean the whine after switching off ? They all do that,I have a 57 plate and have never seen the fans turn,never had a problem.

Post #318573 1st Mar 2017 1:29 pm
Bombabim

Unfortunately I reckon it is a bit more than that as it can be heard above the engine when it is running. A little head turning at the lights.
It doesn't seem to be causing an issue with overheating etc but just don't want it to develop any further. i.e. if i'm stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Post #318574 1st Mar 2017 1:34 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ok I get the picture good luck with it.

Post #318575 1st Mar 2017 1:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1