Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Exhaust Heat Shield Middle Box ripped due to Main Dealer??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Angling Mad

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Indus Silver
Exhaust Heat Shield Middle Box ripped due to Main Dealer??

I would welcome any feedback from my learned friends here. I have just had my FL2 -2011 GS back from its 90K service by local LR dealer. It had the Rear axle pinion bearing and the haldex overhauls done by them 16 months ago and they have always carried out the annual servicing, etc. This time they aid as an observation on the MOT report that the shield was damaged and would kindly fix it for £171 and that one of the intercooler pipes showed a small leak for they want another £281.

So I paid for the service and today had a look myself at fixing the heat shield issue. Only to find what I think is negligence on their part. Please see attached photos. It appears to me that there is a plastic brake pipe protection and retaining cover missing from the nearside exposing the brake pipes and allowing the heat shield to flex and tear. I deduce this on the basis there one on the offside. As per the photos. I believe they must have forgotten to put it back when they took out the prop to replace the axle bearing. Can anyone please help me to confirm this before I go back to them.

Also is it an easy job to change the intercooler pipe I have not yet checked
which one of them is the issue

Thanks

Post #317613 16th Feb 2017 5:31 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

There are several Intercooler pipes/hoses I'd get them to tell you which one (and where) they are referring to as the splits can be absolute b Censored s to find - here's a pic which might help your search

Click image to enlarge
 No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #317664 17th Feb 2017 11:30 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I do not think you will get much satisfaction from them in respect of the heat shield without any before and after history like photographs.

If you are prepared to find another service point go and have a go but my guess is you will become "Persona Non Grata".

There is history of stones getting behind one of the heat shields and creating rattles, possible reason for someone to have moved it at some point other than your current reasons. Not something I would waste good money on as it is still doing its job and as you found did not stop you receiving a MOT.

Persona non grata is a Latin phrase which literally means “an unwelcome person. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317668 17th Feb 2017 12:09 pm
Angling Mad

Many Thanks for your help York Bob and Westville.

I have now managed to look underneath another fl2 and the plate I am imagining should be there does not exist it seems LR have covered one side and not the other. I guess a cost decision as it just looks like it should have one and if did then this would not have happened plus the brake pipes that side would have greater protection. So I am just gathering ideas on how best to effect a DIY solution which does not involve replacing the plate.

Re the Intercooler pipes I now have the part number and diagram emailed to me by the garage which is the same as the one you posted and the part number in question is the smallest one 6k683a so I will be following that up later to see if it is within my skill set or I need to get a mechanic to do it as I do not have many tools for this sort of work.

Post #317675 17th Feb 2017 12:34 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

That part number translates to part number LR002589 superseded by #LR066429
This topic should also help http://www.freel2.com/forum/post279957.html No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #317677 17th Feb 2017 12:55 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I had a rattle underneath mine a while back, and when I went to look I could see the heat shield breaking up just like yours.
A few self tappers, penny washers and battery drill later, all good.
Took all of ten minutes to sort.
It's made of something about as strong as aluminium foil - rubbish design.

Post #317682 17th Feb 2017 2:57 pm
Angling Mad

Thanks Aveling I came across some of those and yes agreed looks like a good fix so will be making use of the advice.

Post #317687 17th Feb 2017 4:38 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

We had the middle shield replaced last year when the rear diff was done. The shield was rattling like a good'un. I'm pretty sure that the cost of the actual shield was not expensive. I think it was less than £20. I saw the old one when the Indy we used showed me all the old serviced bits in a box, I've seen ready meals delivered in stronger trays Laughing

Find a good independent , the prices you are being quoted are way out of line for jobs that the apprentice could do

I would have thought you could even buy the shield new from Landrover and take it to Quickfit ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #317700 17th Feb 2017 7:29 pm
Angling Mad

Thanks Martin. I am going to be phoning a few local lndy places to get a price to change the intercooler pipe. IMHO LR have not done themselves any favours with the product quality on many areas of this motor. Namely the rear axle, some of the trims, rear centre brake light, Haldex pump to name a few. Although all manufacturers are trying clip a pound or two here and there off production costs but I expected better from up market brands. I found the new discovery sport a bit disappointing in this respect so this one can now get a bit longer in the tooth before I change it out as despite all the moaning I still enjoy this old tub. Very Happy

Post #317701 17th Feb 2017 7:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1