Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Looking to purchase fl2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Dorset how much have you claimed since using that sort of cover ? Apart from normal running type costs I am at £30 for a rear locking switch in the last 11 months since coming off warranty (touching wood). FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317034 7th Feb 2017 3:32 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

@yorky bob

First FL2 no problems sold at 99k miles

Second FL2 nightmare, bought from small dealer and when warranty had run out things started going wrong and we spent about £2k spent fixing it.

So we then bought two approved FL2 GSs from LR dealer with 2 year extended warranties and had the problems below.

FL2 GS 60 reg xfer box, rear diff and wheel bearings then various minor issues until we moved it on at 78k probable cost around £3k in repairs

FL2 GS 11 reg new manual gearbox and hesitation at 40k, exhaust sensors, wiper stalk, alarm system etc at 60k, DPF problems at 64 and again at 68k. Repairs on this one about £1k but was in and out of the dealers for diagnostic work on the 2011 model hesitation problem so I haven't costed that. I also haven't costed in the loan cars. I then bought an extra year of warranty and car has been fine since then and has now done 78k and the warranty runs out in April.

The problem is that just because a car has been fine up to now doesn't give me any confidence, after all the older a car gets the more likely to have problems and the great thing about having an extended warranty is that the dealer gets paid to investigate as well as fix it. I have never had a car warranty before owning these things but I won't own a LR now without one. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #317035 7th Feb 2017 3:54 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

car has been fine since then and has now done 78k and the warranty runs out in April.

I see its quite Twisted Evil waiting to bite you on the bum then. Banging Head Obviously needed more love as a child (car not me).

With that list of faults I see why you may feel you need a warranty. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317038 7th Feb 2017 4:07 pm
Dan_NL

Netherlands 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

@ dorsetfreelander. All the amounts you mention are peanuts for a car which has such a range in mechnical devices above the average hatchback... Imagine I forked out € 3500 in one year to keep a Smart on the road.. ..regular maintenance they called it.. I never spend anything near that amount in one year on my 2006 D3 or any other car...

Bus the key question is : wolverine needs a high seated car.

I also have back problems. The D3 has pneumatich suspension meaning I can put it lower to get in/out. The FL2 is fixed in height and sometimes it is a problem for me [ 2m tall] to get in/out without pain.
So Wolverine, I seriously suggest you try a D3/D4 before buying an FL2. [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD
& D3 MY06 HSE , many ,many extra's...
& 2011 MiTo 1.4T 135hp Centenario Blue Monte Carlo

Post #317061 7th Feb 2017 10:13 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Peanuts ? Shocked You are obviously very tolerant of poor reliability. One of the FL2s was used by my son for work on and off road visiting farms, his clients often commented as to why he kept arriving in different cars (they were loan cars). He replaced it with a Mitsubishi L200 and did 32k miles in 11 months with no problems. He now works in Africa where his company car is a Toyota Hilux. I don't think he will ever buy another LR product. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #317064 7th Feb 2017 10:42 pm
Dan_NL

Netherlands 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

To my experience - 48 different cars over 37 years of driving - its not as mucht the car thats a problem, but the garage is and the owner. If you want to run a big luxurious 4x4, do not expect to keep it on a 2CV budget. I understand a Mits is cheaper to run, because a lot of the tech is tried and tested and old school. I think JLR is doing a good job in the forefront of technology, no, I am not a dealer, I do not work there.. But I had my D3 for over 6 years, and this is about 3x longer as my previous record, an 1997 MGF... Mr. Green

I once had an Xtrail and spend € 260 on a new windowwasher reservoir which costs for a D3... € 67,- ...
Ever needed to replace the inside unit for a Fiesta airco ? That costs € 1150 fitted ; the whole dash needs to get out..

My sleeping beauty...

Click image to enlarge
 [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD
& D3 MY06 HSE , many ,many extra's...
& 2011 MiTo 1.4T 135hp Centenario Blue Monte Carlo

Post #317065 7th Feb 2017 10:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12