Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Replace the ac and power steering belt I-6 petrol 3.2l
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tubolove

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Nazca Sand

There's probably a specialty tool to use on the belt tensioner to take the tension off the belt. I didn't have one so I used this spanner wrench to release the tension on the belt. Once I did I pulled the belt off of the belt tensioner and the idler pulley and onto the shaft of the power steering pulley so that the belt was loose enough that I could remove those accessories and move them freely to work the belt off. You can't go forwards completely off the pulley because there's no room between the pulleys and the engine block. In the photos you'll notice that the belt has been removed from the pulley and is on the shaft the the power steering pump temporarily.

Once you do that use the 10 mm socket to remove the two bolts that hold the brace I'm touching in the picture above that stabilizes the AC compressor bracket and the power steering pump assembly.

Post #315862 21st Jan 2017 4:37 am
Tubolove

The aim of the next step is to remove the bolts that retain the AC compressor and power steering pump to give enough room to simply pull them away from the motor just enough to slip the belt between the block and the pulley. Nobody wants to have to disconnect the air-conditioning system or the power steering lines.

I started with the AC compressor. It is held on its pedestal with three 10 mm bolts. One of them was removed earlier when the AC stabilizer bracket was removed. There are two more. One here on the front facing side of the compressor shown here already removed:

One here under the power steering line. This one I loosened until out of the pedestal but left it place. If you wanted to remove the bolt you could remove the 10mm nut that retains the power steering line and then lift it out without restriction but I didn't have to.

Now with the compressor unbolted and no belt tension you can lift the compressor off the alignment nubs which are rougly 1/4" tall. Note that the belt is loose but still in position on the pulley. We don't want to move the compressor much!!! Just enough away from the motor to make clearance for the belt and forward enough to remove the belt tensioner bolt down inside the pedestal.

Remove the single bolt that retains the belt tensioner with a 10mm socket. At this point there is no tension so no need to worry about being spring loaded. Completely remove the belt tensioner and set aside. Visible here is the compressor alignment nub.

Post #315863 21st Jan 2017 5:00 am
Tubolove

Now I focused on the power steering pump. With the ac compressor loose I could put the belt back on the pulley in preparation to remove it.

There are four 10mm bolts holding it in place. Two are on the bracket that prevents front to back motion; remove this bracket.

The other two are on the bottom of the pump front and rear.
Front:

The other one in the rear was impossible to get a shot of with perspective but here it is:

BE PREPARED AS THE PUMP IS SPRING LOADED AGAINST THE ENGINE SO WHEN YOU REMOVE THE LAST BOLTS IT WILL"pop" away from the motor. Nothing dramatic but just be aware.

Post #315865 21st Jan 2017 5:27 am
Tubolove

Now with all the bolts removed from the power steering pump pull it away from the motor and up at the same time to clear the lip where the motor and tranny meet. The spring will make it difficult but it will stay attached to the pulley on the pump as you work it off the engine side shaft it rides on and eventually you will have a gap like this:

It's really hard to see in this photo but you can see the end of the spring protruding past the pulley face on the left.

Post #315866 21st Jan 2017 5:54 am
Tubolove

Finally push the belt off the power steering pulley into the gap you just created between the spring on the pulley and the engine side shaft and remove the belt from the power steering end. Then on the ac compressor side push the belt off the pulley towards the engine side while simultaneously pulling the belt away from the motor off the idler pulley located just below the ac compressor (no pic possible...I tried) and lift out the belt.

Time for a beer.

Post #315867 21st Jan 2017 6:02 am
Tubolove

Ok back to work!

Slip the belt onto the idler pulley under the ac compressor.

Then get the ac compressor sitting loosely back in it's orientation back on its pedestal.

Then slip the belt onto the ac compressor pulley and pull the belt straight up so that you've captured both the idler pulley and the ac compressor pulley.

YOU MUST REINSTALL THE BELT TENSIONER HERE FOR PROPER BELT ROUTING PRIOR TO SNAKING TOWARDS THE POWER STEERING PUMP.

Reinstall the belt tensioner with a 10mm socket (torque spec needed). Make sure the tab is in the slot prior to tightening.

Route the belt over the tensioner pulley and over towards the power steering pulley and snake it through the gap between the spring and the motor shaft and up and over the pulley again so it rides on the shaft of the power steering pump again like so:

Last edited by Tubolove on 21st Jan 2017 2:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #315868 21st Jan 2017 6:16 am
Tubolove

Place the ac compressor back on the pedestal using the mounting nubs. The belt should already be in place on the ac compressor, ac idler pulley, and tensioner pulley. Bolt the ac compressor (torque spec needed) to the pedestal using the two 10mm bolts previously removed.

Now for the pain in the arse part.

Pull the belt up onto the power steering pulley while the pump is still unbolted. Now reinstall the pump by lining up the pulley spring and the engine shaft and wiggle the pump down past the tranny/engine mating lip while pushing against the spring and rotating the pulley counterclockwise until it "pops" into place. Once it does DONT LET GO!!! Now with your second and third hand you have to install the two 10mm mounting bolts. Be careful!! Your threading into aluminium against a spring in a VERY awkward position. Once you get the two bolts started attach the rear power steering bracket using the other two 10 mm bolts. Now tighten to spec (torque spec needed).

Post #315869 21st Jan 2017 6:23 am
Tubolove

Reinstall the bracket between the ac compressor pedestal and power steering assembly using the two 10mm bolts. (torque spec needed)

At this point use the belt tensioner to reinstall the belt.

Post #315870 21st Jan 2017 6:43 am
Tubolove

With the belt installed you can now reinstall everything in the reverse order. Start and check for proper function.

Post #315871 21st Jan 2017 6:47 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for that Tubolove, great instructions and pictures. Bow down

Love the "Now for the pain in the arse part." as if it hasn't been up till then! Common sense isn't very common.

Post #315893 21st Jan 2017 1:46 pm
Tubolove

☺️ Thank you. I know that there aren't a ton of these gas engines running around anywhere except for the USA but you guys at this forum have done so much to help me with every other aspect of this truck that this is my way of saying thank you and trying to contribute to the board. Love you guys, in the manliest way possible.

Post #315894 21st Jan 2017 2:13 pm
axle

If you are a fan of Highlander you should recognize this.

sorry can't get it to turn Common sense isn't very common.

Post #315917 21st Jan 2017 9:48 pm
Tubolove

What!! That's the castle where we learn Angus always pees his kilt before battle!!!

Post #315938 22nd Jan 2017 2:53 am
axle

It's Eilean Donan Castle in Dornie, Scotland, on the west coast by The Isle of Skye.

http://www.eileandonancastle.com/

I took that picture in April 2014, as you can see the weather was lovely chilly, at night and the mountains still had snow on them.
Beautiful place Scotland. Going again this April. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #315940 22nd Jan 2017 6:17 am
Tubolove

Scotland is on my bucket list. When I get thee I'm going to visit that castle for sure!

Post #315968 22nd Jan 2017 3:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>