Home > General > Land Rover Owner Show, Peterborough, and the off roaing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DannyN83

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue
Land Rover Owner Show, Peterborough, and the off roaing

Hi everyone,

I've been meaning to go to the Land Rover Owner's Show for years (because I simply like Land Rovers) but would've been a fraud until recently Embarassed Laughing

Joking aside, I would've never considered having a go at the off roading element at Tixover until now. The thing is, just how suited is it for a novice and a completly unmodified Freelander?

I'm fairly confident in my driving ability, well confident as a novice before I sound cocky, because I've done some training with work (using a Defender Wolf) and a couple of experiences. Now that the car's my own I'm nervious at the ideal of having a go.

So, over to you. Would taking a completely standard Freelander on a course like this be a huge mistake leading to embarassment in front of people who know what they are doing simply because I haven't prepared the car beforehand? Is this the sort of event you can drive to, have a play then drive home or is it the sort of event where it's really for those who's off-roader is a dedicaded toy that's brought in on a trailer?

Dan

Post #315589 17th Jan 2017 10:48 pm
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 

Course is designed for standard spec landrover's and as such I would expect a f2 to have no trouble as suspect offroad capability has diminished for the landrover stable in the last few years.I completed the course in my 300tdi disco including the more difficult (separate sections on the route)and at that time only mods where AT tyres

Click image to enlarge

Post #315593 17th Jan 2017 11:10 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

There's a video on Youtube at the LRO show . Can't link as I'm posting from work.
There's a Freelander 2 that shows it's more than capable of following the tricked up Disco's and Defenders. However the driver's a little nervous and not too sure about grounding out and doing damage . IIRC he stops the vehicle and has a few shunts back and forth. The comments section is full of muppets saying the usual BS about how he shouldn't have attempted it, no low range, no ground clearance, not a proper Land Rover etc etc and how he failed miserably . However he doesn't fail at all. He actually makes it , unlike some of the others who had to be recovered.

Post #315603 18th Jan 2017 2:09 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I note that yours is a manual. There are those who say that due to the lack of low range, the auto is more suited to off-road work. I guess you will need to slip the clutch more than is good for it. Also don't do it with side steps fitted! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #315609 18th Jan 2017 8:20 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Wot RealBeale and dunkley201 said. An F2, especially and auto, will often see off a Defender especiall with novice drivers. The F2 is less suited to extreme situations and deep mud but for most off road work is very capable. I've got side steps and on muddy farm tracks it easily matches the Defender with less driver input and with road bias tyres on the F2.

J

Post #315641 18th Jan 2017 12:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1