« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Just bought 2007 freelander 2 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Ct8637

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Just bought 2007 freelander 2 SE

Hello everyone. As of a couple of days ago I joined Land Rover Club. Driven loads with the army but now I own my very own and much much nicer one and I'm chuffed!

Read pretty much all this forum as I like to research my vehicles and what to look out for etc so feel I'm fairly well prepared should any issues crop up!

Car is in pretty good nick if I'm honest, 83k on the clock but only part service history from the 1 previous owner. It's full leather, sat nav, heated seats and windscreen (I believe this is the winter pack?) and lots of other bits and pieces so I think the previous owner maxxed out the specs when buying new!

As I said no problems to report really, rear brakes are sticking so it's booked in for new discs and pads tomorrow so that should be that. I've shopped around a couple of local Land Rover dealers in the area (North Yorkshire) and an independent for the 10year timing belt and water pump service and I have to say, so far the best price I've been given is £899 from a dealer. Will look into that very soon as don't want to push the cambelt longer than the 10year recommended.

All the best everyone, keep up what I have to say is probably the best and most informative forum I've seen 👌🏻

Post #315055 11th Jan 2017 9:57 pm
Ct8637

Also, can anybody recommend a good Indy garage in the Richmond/Darlington/Northallerton area? I've had a quote from JW trading and 4x4 in Northallerton, anybody used them?

Thanks

Post #315058 11th Jan 2017 10:56 pm
Thehorse

United Kingdom 

Congratulations!

By the way there are brake shoes for the handbrake built into the rear hubs that commonly seize, so might be worth checking if that is the issue first. Think I paid somewhere between £100-150 do have mine stripped and cleaned last year when I had sticking brakes

Post #315059 11th Jan 2017 11:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

If you do get the cambelt done make sure they do the waterpump too. A couple of years ago we bought a small car for one of our kids and the cambelt was changed at purchase but 12k miles later the waterpump failed and threw the cambelt with the usual result (£1200). Speaking to the garage who rebuilt the engine later they said that they had never seen an actual cambelt failure, it was always the tensioners or waterpump that throws the belt and causes the damage. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #315092 12th Jan 2017 12:12 pm
Ct8637

Thanks both for the advice thehorse, I have seem that with the handbrake bushes so I'll get that done soon. Rear discs and pads definitely need doing though, lots of slag around the disc and it's got a bit of a squeal when I turn right. I presume where more pressure is being put on the left hand side, will see what happens tomorrow.

Dorset, I will certainly be making sure the water pump is done, invoiced and everything so I have the warranty.

On an off topic, whereabouts in Dorset are you from? I used to live down that way myself. Bournemouth/highcliffe way. Nice part of the world and will be moving back that way when I become a civilian again 👌🏻

Post #315109 12th Jan 2017 4:42 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Ct8637 wrote:
Also, can anybody recommend a good Indy garage in the Richmond/Darlington/Northallerton area? I've had a quote from JW trading and 4x4 in Northallerton, anybody used them?
Thanks

Lots one here have given these guys the thumbs up:

http://www.teamvalley.landrover.co.uk/

I would get a price here as well as they are not far away.

http://pvhlandrovers.co.uk/servicing.html FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #315118 12th Jan 2017 6:04 pm
Ct8637

Thanks bob. Need to find a decent garage and get my services done for piece of mind 👍🏻(Hopefully one that doesn't cost the earth either 😂)

Post #315129 12th Jan 2017 7:37 pm
Yorky Bob

10 year service is mega expensive if done to schedule so you need a garage that you can be assured is not skimping if price is OK.

You could break it down into more affordable sections of course.

A cam belt kit with water pump idlers etc can be found for around £125 on the net. I would think anyone used to them can do it in not a silly time. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #315134 12th Jan 2017 8:54 pm
Ct8637

Yeh I'm planning to get the cambelt etc done shortly, I've seen that people buy the gates kit but I could only see the website but it didn't actually offer it for sale. Any ideas where best to buy it? Shouldn't be too bad if I can get the kit for £125 then I guess I'm looking at about 3 hours labour. £300ish all in isn't bad.

P.s I presume it's best to get the thermostat done at the same time as it's linked to the water pump system

Post #315140 12th Jan 2017 10:26 pm
Yorky Bob

Check its a perfect match to your car but this is a good start.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREEL...1398033079 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #315141 12th Jan 2017 10:51 pm
Ct8637

So I was in the garage just now to get the rear brakes and discs changed when I was called through to the workshop, "here we go I thought!). Went over to the car and the technician has the wheel off and then went on to tell me that my handbrake shoe was swinging freely becuase the retaining pin had snapped. Said my discs and pads are fine and it's the shoe that is causing the noise. Turns out rather than having to spend £150 on the discs etc I just need a new pin which is £16. Not a bad result!

So the garage passed the basic "honesty test" as they could have easily tried to sting me for both issues but didn't.

Quoted me £290 all in for timing belt and water pump kit including labour. Said if I get a cheaper quote elsewhere tell them and they will match it.

Happy camper so far!

I do wonder if the previous owner sold thinking he noise was something more serious like the dreaded you know what at the rear of the car 👌🏻

PS the horse you were right about the handbrake being he source of the noise!

PPS thanks for your help Bob, I appreciate it 👍🏻

Post #315166 13th Jan 2017 12:56 pm
Yorky Bob

No probs - Been thrown out of perfectly good aircraft once or twice by your employer but that's a story of old.

So where did you get such good service in the end ?

Cam belt price seems very good if its idlers pump and belt, get the auxiliary belt done as well and you will need a refill of coolant. Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #315168 13th Jan 2017 1:12 pm
Ct8637

They only throw you out if you don't jump quick enough 😂

They're called north coast 4x4 in Catterick garrison. Had a bit of work done there before on my Audi allroad, I wasn't happy previously as it set me back £2600 but that was mainly due to the car being a heap 😂

When they did the belt on my Audi it included the idlers and thermostat and was about £600 but that was due to Audi designing a car so if you wanted to do any work the whole front end had to come off, the freelander 2 seems a much more open space to work which is good for the wallet.

I'll double check with them about the auxiliary belt, is the thermostat there aswell? Will probably be best to get it all done in one hit if it's all linked up. Will put the price up a bit but is necessary.

I'm still waiting on the receipts and service stamps from the dealer, would be nice if it's already been done fairly recently but given the mileage its unlikely!

Post #315169 13th Jan 2017 1:18 pm
Ct8637

Well just an update on the noise from he rear. It's been a week now and car is still silent 👌🏻

For £40 all in for a couple of retaining pins + labour it was probably one of the cheaper fixes of my car history.

Still searching for quotes for timing belt, water pump, auxhilliary belt and pulleys/tensioners. Best price so far is £350 cash. Been trying to get hold of team valley Land Rover as they're not far away, but so far not been able to reach them. But given the great reviews they get on here I will keep pestering as I'd rather get it done there as long as the price isn't astronomical.

Post #315888 21st Jan 2017 11:42 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Odd that you can't contact TVLR - they normally answer the phone pretty promptly. They are a LR approved workshop so will do a proper job with LR genuine parts, so that may make them a bit pricier than an indy. I've had my last two cars serviced by them, even though it's a 400 mile round trip (actually not a problem, as I'm often up that way!) Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #315913 21st Jan 2017 9:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>