Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andyd99

England 
Possible new owner advice

Hi guys and gals Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

great forum, loads of useful advice.

Looking for a bit of advice, going to look at a 2007 Freelander 2 HSE manual on Sunday. Its done 115,000 miles with dealer history and 1 owner from new. The dealer put a new MOT on it on Monday, and it passed no problem, with a couple of advisories being a tyre which he has replaced, and the n/s steering arm has a little bit of play in it?? I haven't owned a Freelander for a long time, had a Freelander 1 2.0ltr diesel auto a fair few years ago, and absolutely loved that, and regretted getting rid of that.

What major points do I look out for on Sunday when I go to view? any quick and simple checks I can do myself for peace of mind, and to help me make the right decision?

Post #313230 15th Dec 2016 8:27 pm
LR2drivendiscover

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

If you go to "maintenance and modifications", you will see the "common maintenance issues" link. Click on it and you'll have access to all the threads regarding those.

As for a short summary, here's what I can think of - in large part based on what's needed looking after and preventative work on my 3.2 '08 SE.

-Look for paint chipping at the edges of the plastic tailgate handle.
-See if the wheel arch rubbers are gone or needing replacement. In any case, inspect the area for rock chips and rust.
-Look underneath to see the general condition of the vehicle, if it's been damaged off-road, etc.
-Find out if it's had any repairs/replacement work on the Haldex pump and the diff unit.
-Look for possible rips/cuts in the leather on the outside of the two front seats.

If you look past these flaws, I've found the Freelander to be a great, capable vehicle.

Cheers

Simon (@the_canadian_freelander on IG)

Post #313233 15th Dec 2016 9:01 pm
Andyd99

England 

Many thanks for the advice, I'll take that with me on Sunday when I view

Post #313235 15th Dec 2016 9:26 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Your question is asked about every 2 to 3 weeks so lots to be found by a search Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313244 16th Dec 2016 12:28 am
jfdeasy9608

United States 

Following this with great interest as I just picked up a 2009 LR2. Learning new things about it every day.

Post #314730 8th Jan 2017 2:41 am
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

After 7 years of ownership of a 2007SE.........

Rear wiper motor known to fail
N/S front wheel bearing noisey when needing replacement - can be mistaken for a transmission fault
Uneven wear on rear wheels, particularly the N/S, results in a drone/whine that again can be mistaken for a rear drive problem
Low pressure in A/C system again often results in a whine that goes up and down with the revs
Ehgine run on after switch off noise - throttle housing gears worn

and

The usual missgivings about rear diff problems nut, touch wood, after 119,000 miles and with long haul caravan trips, I have not had any problems Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #314749 8th Jan 2017 12:46 pm
LR2drivendiscover

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

The Road Toad...

Aside from the regular maintenance, I've had the Haldex pump replaced, both front tie rods, tailgate latch and water pump on my '08 LR2. That's what I can think of right now, anyhow.

What were the symptoms of the uneven wear on your rear wheels? Mine are wearing more on the inner shoulder at the back; they appear to be leaning with a bit of negative camber. The vehicle has done o.k. on alignment tests, so I'm thinking it may be the shocks that are wearing out, wondering what your suspicion is...

Cheers

Post #314804 9th Jan 2017 1:01 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

LR2drivendiscover if you lived in UK I would ask how many speed bumps you cross on your commutes. They are a menace here for clipping tyre edges. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #314813 9th Jan 2017 9:50 am
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

LR2drivendiscover:-
I forgot to add that the tyres involved were Goodyear Wranglers which are notorious for producing a whining or droning noise when worn.
The noise disappears when the tyres are renewed - I am now on Pirelli Verdes and will report on their progress.
The wear on the inner edge was diagnosed by a wheel technician as 'quite normal on 4X4 especially the FL2.
However, around here we are blessed with loads of speed bumps - one local lane - Bulkington Lane is now universally know as Bumpington Lane!
The noise produced by worn Goodyear AW's has convinced numerous owners on Freel2 that they have expensive rear diff problems. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #314817 9th Jan 2017 10:22 am
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I’ve owned my TD4 SE Auto since new in 2008. It is on 70k miles now. It has only been into a workshop twice for anything other than services/MOT’s. Once for a full brake reline (at 64k!!) and once for replacement of a faulty injector. It’s halfway through the 3rd set of tyres (all were Conti’s). A brilliant little car on - and esp. off-road. So much so that I’m changing it this week .... for another FL2, this time an SD4 Metropolitan at 16k miles on a 64 plate. Looking forward to another 9+ years happy FL2 motoring. I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #314826 9th Jan 2017 12:57 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Having had four of these in the family and problems with three of them I am now seriously looking at getting something else before April when my 78k 2011 model's extended warranty runs out. The issue I have is that I do like the FL2 and I can't seem to get excited about anything else on the market and yesterday found myself looking at FL2s on autotrader! I would never live it down with the rest of the family if I got another one but I wonder if I got one the same colour they might not notice?

Does anyone know if there is a branch of Freelanders Anonymous in the south of England? Sad 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #314866 9th Jan 2017 10:00 pm
seriesonenut

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Ahh and I thought I was suffering alone. First Fl2 2009 XS, wheel bearings then a fire and a total loss, this one (2010 HSE) just starting a diff whine and the clutch is slipping.......

No idea what to do, fix it till the next fault or bale out but I also have no idea to what!

Post #314867 9th Jan 2017 10:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1