Home > Technical > Steering rack bushings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Steering rack bushings

Hi all,
The steering wheel in my Freelander 2 MY2008 TD4 started making jerking movements or sudden turns when driving on the road, especially when driving over road seams or small potholes etc. It wasn't doing that before, at least not that much as it is doing now. It feels like if someone else was turning the steering wheel so I have to balance it all the time. The increments aree very minor but still you can feel the car going slightly from left to right and vice versa.
When I did a google research, I found that this behaviour is caused by bad steering rack bushings. I wanted to ask you if anyone has experience with that, or if I should look for something else? Can I test this at home to see whether the rack is moving, or should I take it straight to the garage? My car has done only 66000 kms so I am quite surprised that this has worn out so early.
Thank you

Post #314548 5th Jan 2017 4:18 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I would move tyres back to front set pressures and have all the wheels checked by computer for correct alignment before looking for an expensive option. You may have done that of course.

My rear wheel were out of alignment at 45,000 miles on UK roads. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #314565 5th Jan 2017 4:49 pm
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Yes, I've been recently on wheel alignment so everything should be fine. At first, I was blaming my tires, but there is no way how to test them unless I buy some other ones, which is not a cheap option.
Swapping rear wheels with the front ones is a good idea - because I started feeling that steering wheel movement after the wheels had been swapped. I will try that.
And you say that my initial idea (to replace these steering rack bushings) is an expensive variant - I thought that it means keeping original steering rack, just replacing these rubber bushings that are used where the rack is mounted to the car body?

Post #314589 5th Jan 2017 10:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1