51%
 51%  [74]
Total Votes: 145

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 90 of 93 <123 ... 8990 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
Dresdner

Germany 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Are you using RAVENOL Outboard-Öl 2-Takt Mineral?
I am looking to cut costs from the 1052 LM

Post #313200 14th Dec 2016 7:08 pm
Rusty

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I use Ravenol Selfmix 2T, 19,95€ /4 Liters

Post #313206 14th Dec 2016 8:31 pm
Dresdner

From my understanding we need FC grade and this oil is TC.

Post #313239 15th Dec 2016 9:46 pm
rune_68

Norway 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

I have been reading this post over the last 2 days, and for me it seems clear that there are more convincing statements from users of the TSO as an additive than there are from those who share opinions from the so called established oil companies, car manufacturers etc. For me it was a no-brainer. As a mechanic who have seen my share of clogged EGR valves and sooted turbofans, broken HP pumps, fawlty injectors, I decided that no harm could possibly be done by adding TSO. For my 2011 FL2 with 54.000km, it surely made a difference first and foremost to the noise level in cold weather. Secondly I noticed that the fumes from my pre-heater smelled less, and seemed to burn cleaner. I hav not tried it for long, but that is what I noticed so far.

I am somewhat surprised to those who claimes that the statements from car manufacturers, and in particular LR should be sufficiant to avoid trying this out, with the mindset "that they know better"

Do I need to remind the skeptics that the same company (LR) for many years contributed to taint the freelander image by fawlty construction to the cooling system on the first Freelander, resulting in historically large numbers of engine brake downs? And, that it was indeed non factory personell who invented the by-pass cooling system that eventually resolved the issue? This problem, solved by non LR personell by the way, is the reason why most of us today struggle to sell our second hand FL2 in the general market, because "people" remember the Freelander 1 as a crappy car. A minor defect, resulting in engine brakedown that could have been easily fixed, but was not, until persons outside of the LR resolved it......

I think there is enough imperical testimonies on this thread to give people the needed information to set their own mind. At least there is for me anyway. The work of YF and others seems thrust worthy and detailed.

What I do struggle to accept is the biased and right out unpolite and even rude comments amongst some.
So, to all it may concern; Please refrain and think twice before writing anything other than related to topic, and keep upholding this great forum great. Share Your findings, elaborate if possible, and let people make their own mind. Ask and tell in a polite manor and in general - Behave.. There are no problems, only solutions...

Post #314227 31st Dec 2016 10:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rune_68

After reading the initial post, I tried it, and have noticed significantly lower rattling in cold weather, and less "diesel smell" from the pre-heater. Did recommend it to a friend with a really noisy Nissant X-trail 2.2, and he had the same experience...
It is really noticable below 5 -10 minus.. There are no problems, only solutions...

Last edited by rune_68 on 31st Dec 2016 4:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #314228 31st Dec 2016 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
south wales stu

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
nope i don't mess about with hocus-pocus additives, just good old non supermarket fuel is all thats needed

The correct answer. And please guys, if you really feel you have to try it don't put in anything with a DPF.......

Post #314243 31st Dec 2016 6:16 pm
sergio977

Italy 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Orkney Grey

south wales stu wrote:
don't put in anything with a DPF.......
I've DPF fitted in my FL2 and I use TSO without issues

Post #314258 1st Jan 2017 5:42 am
sergio977

Italy 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Orkney Grey

Lost for Words wrote:
easily get an improvement of at least 3 MPG
. Tried several times with My Freelander and using TSO the average mileage per liter is slightly better: With TSO the average is 6.9 l/100 km, without TSO my average is 7.3 l/100 km. I buy diesel since years in the same Agip service station, because is near to my home (200 meters). From my side, I'll continue using TSO Smile

Post #314259 1st Jan 2017 5:54 am
Dresdner

south wales stu wrote:
npinks wrote:
nope i don't mess about with hocus-pocus additives, just good old non supermarket fuel is all thats needed

The correct answer. And please guys, if you really feel you have to try it don't put in anything with a DPF.......

TSO on DPF will result a cleaner DPF and less regeneration.
No problem to use it, in Germany all FL2's are with DPF and no one reported an issue.

Post #314263 1st Jan 2017 9:25 am
south wales stu

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

With the greatest of respect, please share with me how that is possible? I'll have a look into the aftertreatment system on the FL2 and gather some information but I'm fairly sure it'll be an oxyexotherm system using DOC dosing to provide passive regeneration.

If that is the case, I'm fairly certain that burning two stroke oil will coat the DOC eventually and will cause higher ash buildup and face plugging of the DPF. I deal with these issues daily on industrial engines, even environmental gas in recycling centres burnt in the combustion process can cause irreparable damage to these systems.

Just interested Very Happy

Post #314269 1st Jan 2017 11:08 am
JayKay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Although I haven't picked up my Freelander yet (Tuesday Razz ) I will likely use the 2 stroke oil.

I have used it on and off for a few years in diesel Jags and have definitely seen an improvement in running.

Interestingly, I also used my own made biodiesel on an Audi 2.5 v6 diesel Quattro and it ran so much better and cleaner than standard diesel.

Post #314273 1st Jan 2017 11:43 am
rune_68

Well, A happy New Year to everybody..

This might have been posted earlier, but I take my chances anyway..

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-i...-study.php

The short version; TSO in diesel have marginal, negligible effect.

Can anyone tell me why I can hear, see, and smell a difference? Is it the infamous Placebo effect? I have no idea, but I will, despite the facts in this study, continue the use of it - it is hard to ignore that the rattling was considerably reduced in cold weather... There are no problems, only solutions...

Post #314276 1st Jan 2017 12:36 pm
Dresdner

south wales stu wrote:
With the greatest of respect, please share with me how that is possible? I'll have a look into the aftertreatment system on the FL2 and gather some information but I'm fairly sure it'll be an oxyexotherm system using DOC dosing to provide passive regeneration.

If that is the case, I'm fairly certain that burning two stroke oil will coat the DOC eventually and will cause higher ash buildup and face plugging of the DPF. I deal with these issues daily on industrial engines, even environmental gas in recycling centres burnt in the combustion process can cause irreparable damage to these systems.

Just interested Very Happy

Hi Stu
first of all thanks for the attitude, as you can see in this long discussion some members had issue to discuss it without emotions involved.

As regards the explanation i have this quate from the very first post
Quote:
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

I have no means to prove it but as was mentioned in the first post, in Germany people do see an improvement in emission in the 2 year check up in Germany.

Post #314284 1st Jan 2017 2:59 pm
TheDuh

Malaysia 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Rusty wrote:
Hi TheDuh,

that might occur with semi or fully synthetic 2SO.
I had that impression with fully synthetic Castrol Oil.
Now I use good quality mineral 2SO (Ravenol, a local Company) and it feels smoother.
You can tell the difference on cold mornigs (that you don't have in Kuala Lumpur).
At -9°C theres little noise coming from the engine, without 2SO it sounds like a tractor.

Hi Rusty, thanks for your reply and views.
Having tried mineral (FB grade) TSO, I've gone back to semi-synthetic.

Post #314467 4th Jan 2017 7:29 am
chris777

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Tech report - worth reading.

Regarding an earlier post, the peer reviewed evidence in the technical report here:

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-i...-study.php

(particularly the information on damage caused to the injectors by the presence of zinc) has convinced me not to use 2T oil in my fuel. I can do without causing unnecessary damage to my Freelander which I suspect would cost quite a lot to put right.

Best wishes to all,

Chris.

Post #327883 27th Jul 2017 3:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 90 of 93 <123 ... 8990 919293>