Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Odd Tyre Wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Wear on outer edges of front tyres (either one or both) seems quite normal for this car.
2 tonnes at such a height trying to turn will shift a load of weight onto that wheel.
Driving style matters a lot, I have changed mine to braking in a straight line and pottering around a bend like an old fart.
Don't waste your money on alignment checks as tyre garages don't know much about this and will recommend a full alignment check by them, just slow down.

Post #313389 18th Dec 2016 10:06 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

The FL2 is essentially a front wheel drive car, and all cars with this configuration are prone to outer edge wear on the front if cornered hard. It was particularly noticeable on the Mini. What I find odd here is that it should only occur on one side. I'm not sure that I buy the roundabout theory, as the turns should even themselves out - left in, right around, left out. It does also depend on the tyre: on the same car I had edge wear on the 18" Pirellis but even wear on the 17" Wintrax. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #313394 18th Dec 2016 10:54 pm
Walruslike

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
I'm not sure that I buy the roundabout theory, as the turns should even themselves out - left in, right around, left out.

I think that most roundabouts will have more distance in the curve... so the left turns are short but the right turn is sustained... so more wear from the right turn. I don't know if the roundabout theory actually holds any water... but I don't think you can rule it out based on the corners evening out.

Wheel alignment and balancing seems to me to be an impossible dream.... every single vehicle I have ever owned across multiple types and brands has had a wheel wobble at speed, or a pull on the wheel. Possibly its just confirmation bias and I'm just not remembering the times it went well, but it always seems to me to be a disappointment.

This new-to-me FL2 has a slight speed wobble at 90-100kph but its so slight I don't notice it much. I actually dread the trip to the tyre retailer for the worn back set I have to replace soon. I feel sure it will end up with a bigger wobble. Smile

Post #313405 19th Dec 2016 7:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12