Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > NSW winter/spring tour.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A bit of cut & tuck to go, but almost done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I would prefer to mount the flag further forward, as required, but the flag mounting bracket will be an irritation on the spare wheel cross bar. The top of the flag is 4.4 metres, minimum required height is 3.5 metres.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A 12x50mm piece of 5083 alloy plate in the centre of 3x50mm 6060 alloy flat bar (anodised). I drilled the 5083 structural plate reducing weight by about 200 grams.

The 4 hex blots, 2 into each cross bar, there is a piece of plate inside each roof rack extrusion, & the bolts are tapped into this, not the actual cross bar. With nylon washers between the 3x50 & the cross bars. The curved 3x50 flat bar was simply elbow grease bending it over the cross bar in a bench vice with a bit of paper to protect the cross bar from scratches.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 19th Jun 2017 4:08 am. Edited 7 times in total

Post #309803 28th Oct 2016 1:54 am
Lightwater

The bloody things are taking over!

Click image to enlarge

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #309881 29th Oct 2016 4:31 am
Lightwater

Click image to enlarge

Compressors with custom added heatsinks. I simply connect it with a 3 metre lead to the car battery which has a short 30 cm lead off the battery with Anderson plug & rubber moisture/dust cover.
Click image to enlarge

Sun shields for every window are useful.
Click image to enlarge

Bracket to mount under drivers seat. Still in the process of dual compressor set up, got all the parts including a 4 litre air tank, but I don't think I can shoehorn this in (& you need to be able to drain the tank). Just trying to finding the time!
Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Lightwater on 18th May 2017 5:23 am. Edited 6 times in total

Post #323445 16th May 2017 4:45 am
FDG

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

This is a great thread, thanks for the info. Can I check with you where you put the compressor? I can't quite figure it out- under the passenger seat? I take it you wired the fridge into the outlet in the boot? Also, the window covers- are they for sun relief or to hide the internals from prying eyes?
Cheers
Fraser

Post #323499 17th May 2017 12:54 am
Lightwater

I custom made this ice box to fit in previous car to the mm, covered in boat carpet & also used Aircell. There is a thin bit of plywood under the carpet, top & right hand side only. It has an average wall thickness of 75mm. Ice lasts 7 days in summer & 10 days in winter. I freeze a solid block in a Decor 9 litre square container & jamb a thin bit of 1mm packing foam sheet between the lid & body for extra sealing. Bought ice lasts 3 days, it just does not have enough density.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Custom styrene liner (same as yogurt container but in sheet form)
Click image to enlarge

22 litres with liner, 28 without. I also put sleeping bags over the ice box.
Pre cool it before leaving.
We have an official "Icebox Door Opener" to help the one who is getting the item out so the box it only open for a nanosecond! I would not allow the kids to open the ice box, if I had them. I once did a power consumption test on our home fridge over a few days, plotted on my computers' 3.0 kva UPS. It is staggering how much power usage goes up even when opening the fridge for the shortest period of time.

It you have to get part of something out of the ice box, put the remainder back in asap so you don't loose the thermal mass. Better still organise so things generally come out only.

We use the ice box for cheese (hard cheeses last longer so eat your French brie earlier), yogurt & veggies etc. We don't cook any meat while camping (we just buy something while in a town for a change). Saves cleaning time & equipment, thus space, we are lazy bug_ers! We use dry milk powder & make our only muesli from oats & any other ingredients we like. Saves a lot of space & it better for you. We can survive without "cold drinks" (leave them out overnight, they get cold enough in the night air).

Having said that, thinking of getting a Waeco 28 litre fridge, it's on the short list. We don't need a lot of litres but it is the extended holiday where bought ice just does not last. I will super insulate it so it's more efficient. Looking at running it very cold while driving & off when parked, as we tend to not stay in one place. With ice bricks inside for thermal mass. Also looking at the option of battery & solar as well but will do some testing first.

Avoid sweets at all costs, go for fruit and nuts etc, have bitter chocolate instead of mike chocolate for chocolate lovers! (but only buy fruit once you have been or are in the Fruit Fly Zone) Apples etc will last well in the car without being in the icebox.

If you use an icebox 50% of the volume should be ice. (once we sat another 10 litres of ice on top of the ice box and insulated over the top of this which eventually became drinking water) Super insulate the box with anything & everything, foam mats, blanket, a spare sun windscreen shield or 2, sleeping bags, clothes, just bury it! Especially during the day to keep it as cool as possible.

If you make your own ice box it is better to use extruded polystyrene as the white stuff does take in the moisture over time. But it does dry out if you are not using it continually.

When making large solid block of ice keep stirring every few hours so the container does not blow out.

Edit:
New thread: Fridge replaces ice box https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29388.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #323553 17th May 2017 10:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12