« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Kwik Fit Up - Not happy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 
Kwik Fit Up - Not happy

I popped into Kwik Fit today, the wheel balance on the rear was terrible and with a 500 mile round trip tomorrow I thought getting it done would be a good idea, How wrong I was...

The garage advised me that the wheels were not in good condition and really would need refurbing to be able to get the weights to stick but they had done them.
Within 250 yards of leaving one of the rears threw its weights off, I rang the centre immediately and was told I could go back but it would be a long wait as they had other cars to clear and there was little that could be done as the wheels needed to be refurbished, they had wire brushed them and used a 'very strong' adhesive remover before the new weights were fitted. I have little time this evening so decided I would have to leave it and put up with the vibration for the time being and get the wheels looked at.

On arriving home I had a look at the wheels and I am absolutely disgusted that they have lied about the whole process.
As you can see from the attached photographs, there has been no attempt what so ever to clean off the old adhesive, they have simply scraped off the old weight and stuck a new one on top of the old adhesive, it is plain to see that absolutely no atempt to clean the area has been made.

I have sent these images to Kwik Fit and await their reply ...

Post #308766 10th Oct 2016 3:56 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Disgraceful. Just pure and simple laziness. You can balance alloy wheels without using stick-on weights by using alloy clip-ons on the inner flange only. You just have to set the machine up for it. In fact, even if it is set up to use stick-ons in the position you have yours, you can still clip the same amount of weights on the inner flange in the same position and it will be okay. Never, ever had a wheel that needs refurbing so that stick-on weights can actually stick to it and I've balanced thousands over the years. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #308769 10th Oct 2016 4:16 pm
taztastic

England 

Just had a look at the other wheels, here are some pics, these show signs of cleaning and one is stuck on the old patch, as you say simply lazy.

Post #308772 10th Oct 2016 4:31 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Quick fit are monkeys I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Post #308787 10th Oct 2016 7:57 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I guess that it's down to the individual fitters and local manager.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic24691.html 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #308789 10th Oct 2016 8:09 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I'll never use them. Other half got her insurance with these cowboys. Got a "free MOT" with said insurance. The car duly failed miserably on brakes and exhaust! She was quoted £600 to sort the car and was told the brakes were so dangerous they really did not recommend driving it home that day so she left it there. They kept it a few days and said the brakes were all done, but it had "FAILED THE MOT AGAIN ON THE BRAKES". Another £300 to sort it, then it failed AGAIN on a small bit of welding "not picked up before". All this time the car was with them, within the MOT timeframe. When she eventually picked it up, the brakes were also quoted on an advisory sheet ! Every time she used the brakes the ABS kicked in. She took it back after a week and they said - wait for it - the brakes would need replacing! I questioned this and said the brakes were fitted by them and also had a "lifetime guarantee". "Yeah, but they're warped - must be the hubs, so not covered".
I decided I was having this no more and demanded to speak to the manager. No dice, never there or too busy. Contacted head office who after weeks of back and forth said the manager of that particular branch was no longer working for them and staff had also been spoken to . What compensation should my other half receive ? "Nothing as we cannot confirm any of the details with the manager, as he no longer works for us."
The car failed it's next MOT at a different MOT station on brakes and leaking exhaust . The tester said the brakes were so dangerous it's a wonder the car could stop at all.

Post #308810 11th Oct 2016 2:21 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

A few weeks ago I was in town and met my next door neighbour who said that she had just taken her car into Kwik Fit as the brakes were squeeking and a wheel was hot. She had just had a call saying that it was going to cost nearly £500 to sort out. I went with her and asked to see the car which was up on the lift. In my view they were correct in that all four discs were in a bad state and one rear caliper was seized (56 reg VW Touran 110k miles). She was happy to pay once I had OK'd it but it was interesting that, in my view, it was a reasonable diagnosis.
I could have done the job cheaper myself but she needs the car every day and it would have taken me a day or two to get the parts and fit them. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #308823 11th Oct 2016 9:13 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if you use Kwik Fit be it on your own head.

you must live on planet Mars if you've never heard of their rep as cowboys.

Iain

Post #308847 11th Oct 2016 5:45 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

You can't get shi tter than a Kwik-fit fitter as they say! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #308851 11th Oct 2016 6:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1