Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Connection to towbar electrics socket.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NGT

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Connection to towbar electrics socket.

Hi,

I've read many posts about Freelander 2 towbar electrics and the pros and cons original and generic bypass electrics etc. One of the issues with generic is having to use Scotch Locks to clip into the relevant wires and the possible issues this brings. Not sure if this can be done but has anyone just used female spade connectors to connect directly to the pre wired socket which you plug an original towbar loom into?

Thanks,

Nigel.

Post #307999 28th Sep 2016 11:43 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I am sure if it were that simple we all would have done it. Remember this car has CanBus electrics. It ain't just simple wiring of live to switch, to load, to earth. Several wires have more than one function and operate on computer signals not a straight 12 volt supply. The dedicated loom works, but your car will still need programming. If you don't want to use LR go to www.rightconnections.co.uk

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #308010 29th Sep 2016 7:57 am
Dartman the one

England 

I second that, the canbus will detect an overload in some cases and shut the system down as a fault, the 12s or 13 pin sockets for the fridge supply and battery charging must be taken from the correct locations due to the alternator charging control. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #308011 29th Sep 2016 8:05 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

You can see the male socket here - not just spade connectors
 No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #308017 29th Sep 2016 9:28 am
NGT

Hi,

Thanks for the responses above. I have the generic bypass relay that came with the towbar and understand that reverse and fog lights etc won't automatically be switched off. From the comments above I'm assuming that for example, picking up a left indicator from the main wiring loom and connecting it to the generic relay via a Scotch Lock is not the same as picking up the left indicator from the pre wired towbar socket connector via a spade connector and connecting it to the generic relay will not achieve the same result?

Thanks,

Nigel.

Post #308018 29th Sep 2016 9:33 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Correct! There is a lot of experience on this forum. Do believe us! Take a look at the right connections website. It is informative, not BS.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #308024 29th Sep 2016 10:29 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

My previous car (Freelander 1) had a towbar and electrics which I thought were factory fitted, but turned out the electrics were scotch-locked and when I connected up to my caravan absolutely nothing worked - all the connectors were corroded and I had to re-make them with a good, old-fashioned soldering iron.

So be warned!

Post #308025 29th Sep 2016 10:34 am
westville

+! Thumbs Up
Making a proper soldered and heat shrunk joint is the best way by far to avoid problems in the future - once you have the kit and experience it doesn't take any longer to do either No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

Post #308027 29th Sep 2016 10:48 am
NGT

I thought I'd take a picture of what I was originally thinking of doing. (NOT DEFINATELY GOING TO DO!)

The correct size spade clips have been firmly attached to the pre wired factory connector. This means I'm not cutting into any wires. Adding the 7 relevant wires to each connector from the generic bypass relay.. plus the live being wired to an unused fuse and earth being earthed correctly.. is this any different to using Scotch locks directly into the loom?

PHOTOS ARE IN THE GALLERY BELOW.

Post #308032 29th Sep 2016 12:53 pm
westville

I see what you mean - not perfect but I think that is infinitely better than using scotchloks Thumbs Up
I take it your vehicle is pre 2013 so is not plug and play wiring - will you still need to get it programmed? I'm not clear on that as I did not have that problem with my car being 2013.
Are you using the generic wiring simply because its there?
I bought my Witter towbar and a wiring kit from PF Jones http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars-and-wiri...-kits.html it fitted and worked perfectly without any adaptations - might be worth the peace of mind for you to consider their stuff No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

Post #308036 29th Sep 2016 1:36 pm
NGT

Hi Yes,

It's an 09 plate. Also bought Witter towbar and bypass relay from PF Jones. It's only for a very small trailer so though the bypass would be sufficient.

Post #308054 29th Sep 2016 6:00 pm
Alan Lee

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

For what it's worth if can bus is used dedicated electrics are the way to go with modern fibre optic cabling etc it's not worth the risk of water ingress etc when a dedicated kit just plugs in no modifying and the programming affects everything like stability control systems etc so my advice is don't chance it bite the bullet for dedicated OEM loom. Just my view the FL 2 has so many ecu's and who knows whats going on with half of them ? I bought genuine oem and had an indy program it in for me bought from a site sponsor Wink

Post #308057 29th Sep 2016 6:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1