« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > haldex unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jeepster

United Kingdom 
haldex unit

hi, if you disconnect the haldex unit by removing the fuse would still get drive to the rear wheels.

Post #305512 28th Aug 2016 8:16 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Simple answer is: No. Not sure if this would harm the Haldex long term though. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #305515 28th Aug 2016 9:07 am
jeepster

United Kingdom 

hi dunkley thanks for the info, so if a rear diff was worn, and you drove the car without the haldex functioning correctly then would you hear the noise from a worn diff

Post #305524 28th Aug 2016 12:07 pm
dunkley201

Hi jeepster. Don't jump to conclusions! You asked about the Haldex, not rear diff wear. If you pull the Haldex fuse it will effectively "idle" as the pump is not running and the clutches are not engaged. The propshaft will still turn as will the rear diff, but not "powered". Therefore you may not hear any diff noise as it is just turning, being driven by the rear wheels. First you need to identify your symptoms.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #305527 28th Aug 2016 1:39 pm
jeepster

United Kingdom 

hi bob, its not my car its one that someone is selling, the previous owner has removed the haldex fuse as the unit has become faulty,

i was wondering if a test drive with a disabled haldex would mean that any problems with the rear diff wouldnt be heard

he brought it to my house today and he took me for a drive, but i am dubious as i have heard loads of stories about the rear diff.

Post #305529 28th Aug 2016 2:16 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

To be honest I'd avoid buying a car if you know the seller has pulled the fuse for something not working!

Post #305530 28th Aug 2016 2:46 pm
dunkley201

I agree with Steven T. Don't touch a car that is already faulty. To answer your question, pulling the Haldex fuse will take all load off both the Haldex and the rear diff, so you are unlikely to hear a fault if there is one.

There are plenty more. Just don't let the heart rule the head!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #305535 28th Aug 2016 4:04 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

If you are still not convinced by the recommendations from the guys above. A reconditioned Haldex and a rear diff rebuild with genuine parts and a guarantee , work done by a decent independant will see you part with around £1200 to £1300 fitted with all the fluids etc.

Bet you are convinced to walk away now Laughing 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #305543 28th Aug 2016 5:20 pm
jeepster

United Kingdom 

hi the last one i had needed a propshaft, i got a secondhand one and sold the car on, it was a 57 reg. with the savings rates at the moment i decided to get something a little newer, i have found a 12 reg that was a cat d and has been repaired, the owners on his hiolidays until this weekend, and i saw the 10 reg one and it was for sale.

to be honest if i was scared of spending money on repairing a car then - would I buy a freelander, the amount of people who have had problems with the diff and or the haldex make me think - do i really want a freelander. but i need a heavy towcar that isnt too big and i dont want to pay 500 a year in road tax.

if i can get this one for a decent price (less than 5000) and spend 1200 on a diff and haldex, hopefully i will have a good car, well for 12 months.

Post #305550 28th Aug 2016 6:27 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

If you are buying a 10 plate for less than 5 grand that does give you a bit of headroom to repair it, especially if you can do the mechanics yourself Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #305553 28th Aug 2016 6:50 pm
jeepster

United Kingdom 

hi, I know it sounds mad - why buy a car with a knackered haldex, but if you buy cars privately like i normally do any used car is a gamble, up until now i have been lucky and havent lost money, some people are prepared to pay say £10k and buy a secondhand car from landrover, with a warranty and then complain when something breaks, sods law says things tend to break after the warranty has expired though.

As they say, you pay your money and you takes the choice, going back to the freelander, its only a gs but its on a 10 plate. i believe i can drive the car as it is until i make up my mind what to do, its got 10 months mot so that gives me some breathing space.

also i work from home so its not like i need a car apart from the odd business trip, anyhow my partner has an xc70, so worst case i can use that if my car is off the road, or even my bike which is a triumph 959.

some people like darts or bowls or god forbid golf, but i actually enjoy messing around with cars so perhaps a freelander is the car for me after all.

Oh i havent told the msisses yet so perhaps i may have to go back to plan A the 12 reg write off that hopefully wont spend 2 weekends in bits on the driveway. or as she calls it - steptoes yard

Post #305557 28th Aug 2016 8:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1