Home > My Freelander 2 > New Freelander 2 Owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
aquamatic80

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
New Freelander 2 Owner

Hi all.
Just to introduce myself. I am a middle aged Londoner, with a caravan, and had a Mondeo to pull it. however, the gods frowned on me and my Turbo was on the blink. So... armed with some pension money, i became the owner of a 2009 Freelander 2 XS TD4 Auto in Stornaway Grey.
My first impressions are that it drives nicely, although there is a lot of Turbo noise ie that small sucking sound when you lift off the throttle. on the plus side, it is quite powerful, and will tow my caravan without effort.
The toys are nice, although after using Tomtom for 2 years, the in built satnav will take some getting used to. The stereo is awesome, and she is very comfy.
I look forward to many happy times with our "Play bus".

Post #302995 19th Jul 2016 6:42 pm
johnbushell

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Welcome to the club.

Post #302997 19th Jul 2016 7:28 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Welcome along , stick to the Tom Tom sat nav there better than the factory fit one .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #302998 19th Jul 2016 7:42 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey
Re: New Freelander 2 Owner

aquamatic80 wrote:
My first impressions are that it drives nicely, although there is a lot of Turbo noise ie that small sucking sound when you lift off the throttle.

The FL2 doesn't normally present a lot of turbo noise, so it might be worth checking:
    * Sound insulation - there's some insulation where the steering column enters the car which can come adrift
    * Turbo pipes - these have been known to split resulting in noise and reduced power

A search will provide further information on both issues.

Post #303041 20th Jul 2016 11:54 am
Raystrack

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

Hi, I also have just joined. I have been driving a Mondeo Mk3 estate for ten years and am reluctantly passing it on in immaculate condition in order to get a high ride and 4WD. I've shaken hands on an XS and it's due this coming week, so I'm glad I found this club as I expect the FL is not going to be as reliable as my old Mondeo Smile I was going to leave the Tom Tom 700 with the Ford but now I think I'll remove it!

Post #303578 31st Jul 2016 9:04 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Quote:
I expect the FL is not going to be as reliable as my old Mondeo

Outrageous Shocked
Welcome nonetheless Laughing No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #303580 31st Jul 2016 9:43 am
westville

Re: New Freelander 2 Owner

pab wrote:

The FL2 doesn't normally present a lot of turbo noise, so it might be worth checking:
    * Sound insulation - there's some insulation where the steering column enters the car which can come adrift
    * Turbo pipes - these have been known to split resulting in noise and reduced power

A search will provide further information on both issues.

+1 Thumbs Up
search also on intercooler hose
Welcome to the land of the FL2 No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

Post #303581 31st Jul 2016 9:46 am
Raystrack

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

I have woken sweating with the word Haldex ringing in my brain.

Post #303582 31st Jul 2016 9:46 am
westville

No point worrying about it - just enjoy the car Bow down No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

Post #303586 31st Jul 2016 10:40 am
Dan_NL

Netherlands 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

@bxzx16v . My experiences with TomTom are very different. I now have an 850M [lifetime maps]. Every year we drive from the floodplains [NL] to the Algarvian beaches. We're bound to pass Paris. Well Paris has so many levels of roads and turns so near the TomTom gets lost, also because it looses view of the sats due the tall buildings. On july 5th I already had a bad feeling. Drove over Reims [avoiding Lille], and wanted to head for Troyes. But TT said the route over Paris was 1½h faster.
By the time we got there it was 16h, early rush hour. And yes ; 30min later we were solidly stuck in jams in all directions...
I missed a turn and TT wanted me to make a U-turn into a solid jam [not on the screen, although current HD-traffic subscription]... So I switched on the good old LR-satnav [map from 2012]. Instant satview, and heading out of Paris without any trafficjams.... So it appears the algorithm sends everybody on the same road ! I now make Paris a 'nog-go' zone on the Tom tom, to prevent this in future ! [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD
& D3 MY06 HSE , many ,many extra's...
& 2011 MiTo 1.4T 135hp Centenario Blue Monte Carlo

Post #303592 31st Jul 2016 11:41 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Best time to be in Paris is 14 July, traffic & parking is a piece of cake!

We even did a couple of 360° of Arc de Triomphe! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #303595 31st Jul 2016 12:19 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Raystrack wrote:
Hi, I also have just joined. I have been driving a Mondeo Mk3 estate for ten years and am reluctantly passing it on in immaculate condition in order to get a high ride and 4WD. I've shaken hands on an XS and it's due this coming week, so I'm glad I found this club as I expect the FL is not going to be as reliable as my old Mondeo Smile I was going to leave the Tom Tom 700 with the Ford but now I think I'll remove it!

Designed under Fords Ownership of LR, using a Ford derived platform, A Ford-PSA Diesel engine , and various bits all over it pulled straight from the FoMoCo bits bins. I changed the front discs and pads last week. Guess what was cast into the caliper ? Of course it's Ford : Rolling with laughter

So basically a posh Transit engine and transmission biased to front wheel drive and clever bits of electronic wizardry to use the back two to a lesser degree most of the time and then tailor them to difficult conditions when necessary. Built at a Ford owned plant which changed ownership in 2008 , but still the same truck, So there you go no reason it should be less reliable for wearing a Green Oval Badge rather than Blue. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #303602 31st Jul 2016 5:26 pm
Dan_NL

Netherlands 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

Best place july 14th... Algarve beach.. ..not boiling Paris ! Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD
& D3 MY06 HSE , many ,many extra's...
& 2011 MiTo 1.4T 135hp Centenario Blue Monte Carlo

Post #303603 31st Jul 2016 6:48 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

MartynB wrote:
Raystrack wrote:

Designed under Fords Ownership of LR, using a Ford derived platform, A Ford-PSA Diesel engine , and various bits all over it pulled straight from the FoMoCo bits bins. I changed the front discs and pads last week. Guess what was cast into the caliper ? Of course it's Ford : Rolling with laughter

So basically a posh Transit engine and transmission biased to front wheel drive and clever bits of electronic wizardry to use the back two to a lesser degree most of the time and then tailor them to difficult conditions when necessary. Built at a Ford owned plant which changed ownership in 2008 , but still the same truck, So there you go no reason it should be less reliable for wearing a Green Oval Badge rather than Blue.

And of course if one is worried about that green oval you could change it to the blue one and drive a Ford Kuga, which is a
Freelander in a different suit. DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #303608 31st Jul 2016 7:49 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Designed under Fords Ownership of LR, using a Ford derived platform, A Ford-PSA Diesel engine , and various bits all over it pulled straight from the FoMoCo bits bins.

You left out Volvo. Haldex would not function without that association. Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #303611 31st Jul 2016 8:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1