Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Freelander weight b+e licence caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
freelander2002

England 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Freelander weight b+e licence caravan

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but as a potential caravan newbie I have a couple of issues I could do with some advice on.

The main question is what weight of caravan I can look at buying? I have a 2010 HSE auto which has a mass in service of 1967 in the log book. Is this the weight I need to work with when working out the whole 3500kg max weight etc?

Between the gross train weight, axle weight, kerb weights, MAM etc my head is slightly battered. Oh passed my test after 1997 by way.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Thumbs Up

Dave 2010 HSE SD4 in Santorini black
(Privacy glass, leather/heated seats, ICE, Verde AS M+S)

2002 Freelander GS TD4
(sold 2011)

Post #303146 22nd Jul 2016 10:44 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

The standard driving licence issued to a driver passing his or her test today covers categories B and B1. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg and tow a trailer up to 750kg behind it.

If you have a lighter car, you can then tow a heavier caravan, but the combined weight of the whole outfit cannot be more than 3,500kg. To complicate matters further, the MAM of your caravan in this instance must also be lighter than the unladen weight of your car

If you want to drive a larger outfit, you will need to pass an additional driving test to add the B+E category to your licence

Thumbs Up

Post #303151 23rd Jul 2016 6:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

If my memory serves me correctly, a Freelander 2 has a MAM of 4505kg and the GVW is 2505kg. The maximum permissible towing weight for this vehicle is therefore 2000kg. However, the combination would exceed your license limit which is 3,500kg. Therefore, with the Freelander 2, the maximum weight you can legally tow is 995kg. Anything heavier and you'd need to pass the Car and Trailer Driving Test.

Post #303152 23rd Jul 2016 6:29 am
Dartman the one

England 

The licence is based on the addition of the two plated weights, the FL HSE is GVM 2505Kg therefore to tow a 'van on the B licence the plated weight of the 'van (MTLPM) must be 995Kg or less, there just not that many vans about these days that light perhaps a middle 1980's van in 4 or 5 berth and not much in home comfort, though they have become popular as cheap festival 'vans.
The unladen weight restriction no longer applies but with a Freelander it is not a worry on a B licence. Very Happy
The gross train weight of the FL is 4505Kg (car + trailer) though this allows sharing weights and the towed weight is the trailer axle load not the actual trailer weight, in France any vehicle with a plated train weight of over 3500Kg is limited to 90kph on the auto routes irrespective of the actual weight. ( this law does tend to be ignored) it's France. Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #303158 23rd Jul 2016 9:13 am
freelander2002

England 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

And when looking at caravan weights should I be looking at the MPTLM or the MIRO?

Thanks 2010 HSE SD4 in Santorini black
(Privacy glass, leather/heated seats, ICE, Verde AS M+S)

2002 Freelander GS TD4
(sold 2011)

Post #303166 23rd Jul 2016 6:01 pm
Dartman the one

England 

MTPLM, that is the gross plated weight my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #303230 24th Jul 2016 7:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1