Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Away this weekend for first time with Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Trev 1

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
Away this weekend for first time with Freelander

We are going off with caravan this weekend the first time towing with our2011 Freelander 2, I have come from a Discovery 3 so dont know what to expect! not sold Disco3 yet just in case.

Post #302220 7th Jul 2016 10:24 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Really depends if your D3 was an auto, comfort wise the comparison will be the same solo or towing wise it will be power. I've never towed with a D3 or 4 but a D4 solo compared to an HSE SD just glides, the FL definitely has rear springs. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #302236 8th Jul 2016 8:38 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I changed from a D3 to a F2.
I don't know which model F2 you have, but I went for an Auto SD, and I tow a twin axle tintent.

No, its not the same as towing with the D3, but it comes close. My first outing with the F2 saw me alone in a field of mud after a very wet weekend. The last 2 vans on the site were towed off by a D3 as their owners only had saloon cars. I set the terrain control to mud and slowly set off, the F2 breezed it.

The F2 doesn't have as much grunt as you can imagine, but I have no regrets at getting rid of my money guzzling, expensive to run tax crippling D3. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #302268 8th Jul 2016 4:32 pm
Trev 1

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

We are back after our first trip off with the Freelander, must say it did pull better that I thought it would after towing with my Disco 3, the caravan did wag a bit on motoway but I will have to look into that and do some checks ie tyre pressures etc but it did do well and got about 27 mpg Disco did about 23, a few more trips off though before I make my mind up which to keep, I do love my Disco it felt much more in control. The Freelander has got michelin latitude cross on the front and michelin sport on the rear don't know if that's got anything to do with it.

Post #302409 10th Jul 2016 4:02 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I tow a Sterling Eccles Onyx at 1450 kg loaded, 7.08m length. Never had a problem with stability (or "wag"). Make sure the 'van is loaded so that at least 7% weight is on the ball hitch (in my case a gnats over 100kg). Recently I had creaking from the Alko hitch so replaced the pads. Transformed it! I had not realised how worn the originals had become! (had the van from new) Now the hitch needs a real hard push down on the Alko lever to lock on. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #302428 10th Jul 2016 6:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1