« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > InControl Apps Retrofit / Enable MY15 Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
InControl Apps Retrofit / Enable MY15 Freelander 2

I've already done a fair amount of research on this topic and thought I'd better start detailing my progress as I did with the DAB factory retrofit.
One of the first things I went out and done was pick up a harness to provide me with enough wire/plugs hardware. I ended up with a chassis harness out of an Evoque which is very useful as the electrical systems are identical for the most.

I'm still in the early stages of getting everything together and it would appear the biggest hurdle is sourcing the wiring hardware which I will elaborate on later entries.
The InControl Apps is made up of the touchscreen platform and is linked to your smartphone via a CAV (Conect and View) module.
The USB cable connects through the dedicated InControl Apps USB port.

Freelander 2 and Evoque plates are the same so I've just got to change out my single USB plate for the twin.
Part number LR044901.

I've also purchased the only plug available as a spare from LR which is the HS Can, MS Can, ground and ignition power supply plug.
Part number YPC804470

I will now start to populate the plug as per the correct positions for each wire. As I have such an abundance of wire I'm 99% sure I will be able to use exact LR colour combination and thicknesses which no doubt will annoy the absolute Censored out of Cambo!!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down

Plug goes in the far right socket position of CAV module pictured below.

I'll go into more detail later as the remaining wiring has been a bit more problematic and still sorting one final lead. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #298084 4th May 2016 2:24 pm
Stuartc

This is a good explanation of "why" InControl Apps and really the reason I want this in my Freelander 2. The two platforms can work side by side but allowing future developments in car infotainment to be added as desired. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #298094 4th May 2016 4:12 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Interesting..... but I am still using a dumb phone & wear a mechanical watch, but the mechanical watch is about the same cost as 10 smart phones will never get a virus!

What use is the heart monitor if you don't have a defibrillator installed in the car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #298121 5th May 2016 4:10 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Interesting but think of all those beers you could be having instead. Wink FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #298130 5th May 2016 8:57 am
Stuartc

As I said earlier the hardware/wiring is turning out to be my biggest challenge with this project.

C2MM25A (see above) H & M/S Can, Gnd, power turns out to be a highly specific plug. As you can see from the pic above I've had to "autopsy" the one and only similar plug on the donor chassis harness to see how to extract plugs. The plug has a really unusual locking sleeve arrangement I've not seen in any other plug. As it turns out and here is the problem, it appears the pins are unique to this type of plug.

Click image to enlarge

As you can see it's designed for a very thin pin and has an unusual lug on one side. So very lucky I have this donor chassis harness which had only one of these plugs otherwise it would have been a "tantrum"!!!!!
As it is it's now much harder for me to match colour (Cambo will be laughing Thud ) as I'm limited to the dozen or so wires associated with this plug and unique pin. I can feel the soldering iron coming out and some heat shrink!🙈
Anyhow these pins are extremely hard to extract and I've already snapped one tool/micro screwdriver doing so!
Thank god there's only 6 wires needed to populate this plug.

Post #298210 6th May 2016 12:39 pm
xdave

United Kingdom 

Hi Stuart,

I know you have sorted it with your sacrifical harness, but for future reference you may find this helpful?

That connector C2MM25A looks like a JAE MX34 series. The locating grooves and the offset rows give it a away. Almost all the infotainment modules in JLR vehicles use JAE connectors (for example the brown, white and blue LVDS connectors are MX38 series).

http://www.jae.com/jccom/en/connectors/detail/MX34/Automotive

I think the PCB socket on the module is MX34012NF1 (http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ100715.pdf)
That would make the connector you purchased as YPC804470 p/n MX34012SF1 (http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ100717.pdf)
Which in turn means the pins you want are M34S75C4F1 or F2 depending on the wire CSA (http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ038527.pdf)

You can request 3D models of the connectors from here to check for yourself: http://www.jae.com/z-en/s-slist2_en.cfm?se...p;sFlg3=0.

It looks like you can crimp the pins with most of the usual crimpers without buying their $2k USD tool, or if you don't have one the pre-terminated lead packs are usually only £2-3 per lead. From your printed diagram 418236 will be the smaller CSA pins pre-terminated to 150mm tails, and 418241 will be for the larger CSA pins.

I'm not sure which sacrificial harness you have but any front console harness from a recent JLR vehicle will have the touchscreen power/signal connector which is also an MX34 with plenty of pins you can harvest. That may have been the one you used?

The MX38s for the LVDS signals will need to be harvest from an existng harness because JAE do not sell those as individual parts. They are only available pre-made in OEM harnesses. The good news is they are also in every JLR front harness and you can cut off the locating lugs to use any colour plug in any socket whilst still retaining the locking clip.

Both Jag and LR sell overlay harnesses for signal cables like that, but finding the part number can be a real difficulty because the EPCs are not illustrated for overlays. You need a friendly dealer tech who can put in a support call to JLR and request the part number.

Last edited by xdave on 7th May 2016 12:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #298235 6th May 2016 10:27 pm
Stuartc

Oh Wow xDave, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
You don't know how many gaps in my knowledge that you just answered in one post Bow down
Your reputation, all good/great proceeds you with your Jaguar retrofitting experience Thumbs Up
I see I'm going to need your "speed-dial" contact information, lol Very Happy

The donor harness was from an Evoque. In this case a chassis harness so i'm surprised and lucky there was one of these infotainment plugs as there would normally be a ICE link harness or main dash harness from the chassis harness which I would have normally expected the plugs to be present. These pins are extremely hard to extract, harder than any other plug that I have experienced, I have multiple puncture wounds in my fingers from last nights efforts to release half a dozen pins Crying or Very sad.

Funny enough, I did come across the JAE catalogue in my research up to starting this retrofit but experienced download problems with the 100 or so page catalogue so didn't continue, silly me. Your links have just saved me hours of frustration, again thank you! Thumbs Up

GVIF cables for the LVDS I have managed to source through a high end aftermarket automotive audio retailer here in Australia. This has taken me weeks of searching as I started with JLRA and basically as you said found out not only are the parts unavailable but no reference to parts. Unfortunately the dealer tech's here aren't too, well, how do I say it "Bright" and normally when I go in and start talking about some of this a "Glazed" look appears and I have the realization that I have surpassed their knowledge base. So I have little assistance from LR or Jaguar here in AU. Cambo is my only saviour and credit to him for putting up with my many technical call outs for "Help"!!! Bow down

There is one cable I am having lots of trouble sourcing. This cable is the link cable from the InControl Apps Input Plate (C3ME37E) to C2MM25B on the CAV/Telephone Interface Module. This plug, either end is quite unique and not widely used in the harness I'm guessing due to the nature of the application. The plug/cable link does exist in lots of Jaguars and from L320 I'm told. In fact I have one in the Freelander 2 for the existing USB, picture below. Biggest problem is that aside from the electrical schematic, there is little service repair information for each of these plugs.

Problem being the actual lead I require neither has a part number or any reference and the closest I can come to purchasing this cable is to buy the complete "Instrument Panel RHD Harness" which is 700 pounds! From your reply, are you saying I can request an overlay harness? Is there any advice you can give me so that I can "spell" it out to the tech's/parts guys here as they're more likely to find a search for an "accessory" item a challenge!
Any assistance you can give me to either source an "overlay" harness specific for the InControl Apps link harness C3ME37E to C2MM25B or plugs so I can use to populate to specification will be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance if there is info in the JAE Catelogue as I haven't look through at the time of replying to your post.
Stu Very Happy MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #298244 7th May 2016 5:16 am
Stuartc

Hi XDave,

Have had a chance to look through the JAE information and all as is you said Thumbs Up

In regards to the InControl Apps harness C2MM25B to C3ME37E i was thinking that this looks and sounds like a MX50/53 type plug/harness but I'm now doubting this as on closer inspection the style/pins look different and according to the electrical schematic pins 14 through to 30 are utilized on C2MM25B and pins 16 through to 30 on C3ME37E. MX50/53 only has 19 pins?
i don't have the Incontrol Apps plate right at this moment as I'm waiting for that part (hurry up Dan!!!! Rolling with laughter ) so I can't confirm that at the moment.
I can confirm that the existing USB/AV input plug, which should be the same as the InControl Apps plug, is as per wiring schematic.
Do you recognize this style of plug XDave?

Do you have a contact for JAE in the UK?

There is no contact details for AU/Oceania. In fact the closest is Singapore and they don't even list an email or web address.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Stu MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #298259 7th May 2016 11:22 am
xdave

United Kingdom 

Hi Stuart,

IDing the connectors is always the most difficult phase when retrofitting these things. I have amassed a large collection of donor harnesses from many different PAG vehicles (I have a watch search on eBay and whenever I see a new connector and the harness is priced as scrap I snap them up!)

I just tested my Jaguar TOPIx login with the LR version and it still gives me full access to everything, which is most useful. I am not familar with the LR models though, so it would be helpful if you could help steer me towards the correct information?

I gather your target car is a 2015MJ L359 Freelander 2? Can you PM me your full VIN (or the last 8 - not 5 - characters) so I can add it to my favourites as a reference point?

I have been through some of the other LR models in 2016 and 2017 MYs but I have not yet found one with the incontrol system. Do you know which LR model it comes with? The interactive electrical schematics are so much easier to work with than scanned printouts. Smile

The cable from the CAV/TIM to the USB I/O panel will almost certainly be available as an overlay. I'll try and track down the p/n. I don't have access to the LR EPC but I do have access to the current JEPC and a friendly Jaguar dealer who is used to me requesting obscure parts.

The connector is clearly designed for high-speed AV (gold contacts on both sides is a clue). Once I can find a suitable model to get the schematics up I can hopefully find a match. I have an idea what they may be, but I want to double check first to avoid leading you down the wrong path.

[ edit ]

As I posted that it occured to me to actually check the LR web site to find a suitable model! Obvious really!

The L538 2017MY on first inspection seems to have the incontrol system shared with the current Jags, so I will use that as my base for a donor vehicle.

Post #298262 7th May 2016 12:10 pm
Stuartc

Thanks XDave, you have a PM Thumbs Up MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #298265 7th May 2016 1:03 pm
xdave

United Kingdom 

I'll split this into two posts - this one with just an information dump and the next one with a couple of questions. If you can add anything to this information please post the appropriate details so I can update my end.

TIM connectors
C2MM25A

12 way grey
Engineering part 9F6T-14489-BA
Service part YPC804470
Type JAE MX34 series http://www.jae.com/jccom/en/connectors/detail/MX34/Automotive
PCB socket MX34012NF1 http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ100715.pdf
Cable plug MX34012SF1 http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ100717.pdf
Female pins M34S75C4F1/F2 http://www.jae.com/z-en/pdf_download_exec.cfm?param=SJ038527.pdf
Pre-terminated pins JLR p/n 418236 and 418241

C2MM25B
30 way? GP AV or data bus connector
Non-servicable part
Type Mitstumi IAM series
Cable plug IAM-F30 (straight), IAM-G63 (RA) http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog/pdf/connect_iam_f30_e.pdf

C2MM25C
LVDS/GVIF connector
Non-servicable part
Type JAE MX38 blue (new product - no info on JAE web site yet)
Variant light blue
PCB socket MX38002NQ4 http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets...002NQ4.pdf

Potential pre-terminated connector p/n?
MX38002S000XXXX
Maybe XXXX denotes length and variant?

C2MM25E
as C2MM25C
Variant brown

Note the white MX38 (likely C2MM25D) does not appear to be used.

If you want to see real photos of connectors I find taobao is great for that. Just edit their 'product search' url to include the search terms. e.g. http://www.taobao.com/product/jae-mx38.html, or for all JAE's automotive connectors http://www.taobao.com/product/jae-mx.html.

I think JAE part numbers can be decoded as:
MX34012NF1
MX (automotive connectors)
34 (series)
012 (ways)
N (PCB socket, N seems to be RA, U seems to be straight, S seems to be cable plug, but unsure?)
F1 (variant?)

I'll just drop this link here as it doesn't fit anywhere else:
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/1863183/blog/34107452/
Translated into English:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=...edit-text=

If you read back and forth through that blog it is filled will all sorts of useful information about the IAM-based infotainment systems in our cars. (Hint - Volvo's SENSUS system is their name for JLR's incontrol.) It also has info about decoding the LVDS format used for the video transmission which could be useful if you want to integrate third party video seamlessly (integrated PathFindIR anyone?)

Last edited by xdave on 10th May 2016 2:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #298268 7th May 2016 2:30 pm
xdave

United Kingdom 

Ref this connector:

And the mating housing:

What is that connector shown above for/from? I think from your post it is used with the USB interface panel you have at present? Do you have a connector designation for the connector as shown in your photo? Is it 2 rows or 10 or 12? If 10, Google image search C2P21008 and LR019691 and see if that is the same part (the non-iPod end). I believe it is an uncommon type of SCSI connector, but I don't know the series or mpn yet.

Ref this connector:

Can you confirm what that is showing, and the connector designation for the connector as shown in your photo?

Do you actually have posession of the CAV/TIM or new IO plate or are they web photos? If you do could you take the housings off and take some high res photos of the PCB parts? TE often mark their parts with the series number, although not all of the others do.

In particular I am unclear of the number of ways on C2MM25B at the TIM.

Post #298269 7th May 2016 2:32 pm
Stuartc

Ref this connector:

And the mating housing:

What is that connector shown above for/from? I think from your post it is used with the USB interface panel you have at present? Do you have a connector designation for the connector as shown in your photo?

Connector for current USB/AV plate. Connector Designation C23C/C23D.

Is it 2 rows or 10 or 12?

2 Rows of 10.

C23C & C23D is an intermediate join of the IAM (C2ME05E) to USB/AV plate (C3ME37B)

If 10, Google image search C2P21008 and LR019691 and see if that is the same part (the non-iPod end). I believe it is an uncommon type of SCSI connector, but I don't know the series or mpn yet.

Ref this connector:

Can you confirm what that is showing, and the connector designation for the connector as shown in your photo?

Connector shown C23D.

Do you actually have posession of the CAV/TIM or new IO plate or are they web photos? If you do could you take the housings off and take some high res photos of the PCB parts? TE often mark their parts with the series number, although not all of the others do.

Havn't purchased CAV/TIM as yet, USB/AV plate should be here by the end of the week.

In particular I am unclear of the number of ways on C2MM25B at the TIM.

There is no information for this in the "Service Repair Information" on C2MM25B. Only that there is 7 wires and a shield ground.

Post #298271 7th May 2016 3:53 pm
Stuartc

Hi XDave,

I've had a look at C2P21008 (Jaguar) & LR019691 and the non-iPod end is the same plug design as C23C/C23D.

Just another note xDave;

I have a reference to "See W-H DWG" for this style of plug C3ME37B, does this reference mean anything to you? Nobody at LR Parts or service tech's know here!

I also have a Jaguar part number for this style of plug/harness but have no idea which model, std USB or InControl Apps or length - C2z4708. See pic below.

MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #298273 7th May 2016 4:25 pm
xdave

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the clarifications.

See W-H DWG doesn't mean anything to me. It sounds like a reference to a CAD file, but that is just a guess.

I found a better picture of the currently unknown TIM connection, attached:

It's a dual pitch one...
24x possible 1.0mm
6x possible 2.54mm

Post #298295 8th May 2016 2:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>