Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto box comparison
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

That makes slightly more sense, although I should have thought it would be possible to detect a change in engine load, and I can't! Mine is an MY13 model.
Regarding earlier comment, auto boxes don't go into neutral when coasting - that would be dangerous - but do have a freewheel facility, presumably something to do with the torque converter. My previous automatics all seemed to "coast" on the overrun, but the FL2 less so - it will still change down and give you some engine braking at around 30-40mph. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #297930 2nd May 2016 2:45 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I can confirm, as Taz pointed out that the auto gearbox does drop out of gear when coming to a stop/coast and even more so if you touch the brake pedal. On releasing the brake from standstill there is a notible re-engagement of drive.
In sport mode the Behaviour is less so with gears being held. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #297935 2nd May 2016 3:21 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
The most significant change is the advanced neutral control logic which reduces drag when the vehicle is stationary, the engine at idle and Drive selected. While not actually selecting neutral, drive load is substantially reduced to save fuel and improve refinement. The calibration of the transmission has been revised by Land Rover engineers to reduce torque converter slip. It retains Land Rover’s Terrain Response features, CommandShift® and adaptive shifting and is available on the TD4 and SD4 Freelanders but not the two-wheel drive eD4.

Post #297936 2nd May 2016 3:42 pm
taztastic

England 

I am still having an issue with mine, if stuck in heavy traffic, accelerate slightly, then lift off, come to a stop and occasionally I get a real kick and a jolt, similiar to lifting the clutch very quickly in a manual. It is a very harsh jolt when it happens ... Back to the garage soon as a rear door is also refusing to unlock.

Post #297937 2nd May 2016 4:10 pm
Spatch

England 

EYorkshire wrote:
It doesn't actually go into neutral, its called 'advanced neutral control logic'. It reduces drag when the car is stationary, idling and the lever is still in 'drive' and loading is greatly reduced.

Yes, agreed but I never noticed any change in engine note or anything when stopped in D which still makes me believe it never worked.

taztastic wrote:
am still having an issue with mine, if stuck in heavy traffic, accelerate slightly, then lift off, come to a stop and occasionally I get a real kick and a jolt

Exactly the same as one of the issues I had in my SD4. Really annoyed the hell out of me. BMW X3 30d M Sport - Current (problem free)
2014 SD4 Auto HSE Lux - Gone (too many problems)
2012 TD4 Manual XS - Gone (too many problems)

Post #297955 2nd May 2016 9:14 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

taztastic wrote:
I am still having an issue with mine, if stuck in heavy traffic, accelerate slightly, then lift off, come to a stop and occasionally I get a real kick and a jolt, similiar to lifting the clutch very quickly in a manual. It is a very harsh jolt when it happens .......

If I have been driving spiritedly I get a similar effect, gear change is hard - bordering on violent.
The only fault that could be found was that the +ve button on the cruise control was intermittently loosing connection.
Replaced the steering wheel module which has made little difference. Actually not using cruise control does make some difference. Replaced the steering wheel clock spring (rotary contact?), but messed up as I didn't know that it had to be calibrated, so will be doing it again when time allows.

Why cruise control effects the gear change?
Apparently the main ECU gets upset when it can't see the cruise control buttons, and reboots the canbus, need to change gear at that point and the gearbox has to guess. Accelerating spiritedly and the guess/ change could be wildly wrong, so I am told.
Me - I think the gearbox is dying Crying or Very sad Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #297971 3rd May 2016 7:20 am
Hippo

United Kingdom 

What miles has your auto done?

I monitored my engine revs today with my hawkeye. The set point is 808 when the engine is off. When started from cold it ticks over at 795. Selecting D fluctuates the revs from 770 to 815 quickly then it settles on 785, all with my foot still on the brake. When releasing the brake it moves forward on tick over at 785. When applying or releasing the brake the power is there to move forward. Same for partially releasing the brake. the "calculated load" changes from 20 to 30% when going from N to D with foot still on the brake.

At speed the revs increase but applying the brakes or taking my foot off all pedals doesn't drop the revs by much. The hawkeye displays the same as the analogue rev counter. Revs drop as the FL2 slows on roll or when braking, but I never see the revs drop significantly to think the engine has had the load removed. I admit it does slow down with a "light" feelings but the revs tend to follow the speed of the FL2 in proportion to the gear it's in, and the FL2 feels light to control anyway. I did notice the set point for the revs increase to 850, 900, 950 and 1000 as the mph increased. This seems to reduce again at slower speeds.

I can't see anything in the manual other than: "Do not allow the vehicle to remain stationary for any length of time, with a gear selected and the engine running. Always select P or Neutral (N) if the engine is to idle for a prolonged period."
I understand from others on here the manual didn't get updated much. Are there any other documents which advice the FL2 has a partial neutral control option? I have a metropolis. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #297982 3rd May 2016 9:44 am
Hippo

United Kingdom 

I just came across this which lists the "advanced neutral control logic" development. Important bit in bold.

http://live.presscenter.connect-group.com/...ss_040810/

LR wrote:

Land Rover offers customers more choice with efficient 2011 Freelander 2
◾New upgraded diesel engine available with either 150PS or 190PS
◾Stronger performance and improved efficiency throughout the range
◾Revised exterior with new front bumper assembly plus three new colour schemes and new alloy wheel options
◾Interior tweaks with new instrument dials and Premium Pack option
◾Customers offered more choice with addition of 2WD eD4 derivatives
◾Frugal eD4 model capable of 47.2mpg and 158g/km CO2
◾Improved intelligent Stop/Start technology as standard on manual transmission

The 2011 Freelander 2 model range, on sale in the UK from the end of September 2010, benefits from a new 2.2-litre diesel engine available with either 150PS or 190PS outputs, a new look exterior plus interior alterations including new instrument dials and a new Premium Pack option.

Land Rover's new turbo diesel engine is available in the 4WD TD4 150PS model featuring a manual transmission and intelligent Stop/Start technology as standard (an automatic gearbox without Stop/Start is available as a cost option), or the new SD4 model delivering 190PS (available in automatic transmission only).

This new engine is quieter, more efficient and both derivatives have 20Nm more torque than the outgoing engine. This means the 2011 Freelander 2 offers improved engine response and more mid-range strength for towing. CO2 emissions have been significantly reduced to 165g/km and 185g/km respectively with corresponding fuel economy benefits.

However, despite reductions in consumption and emissions, there has been no compromise in performance. The flagship 190PS Freelander SD4 accelerates from rest to 60mph in 8.7 seconds with an increased top speed of 118mph. The Freelander 150PS TD4 manual and automatic versions match the performance of their predecessors.

As well as being upgraded from EU4 to EU5, both versions have a new variable geometry turbocharger and have been extensively re-calibrated to deliver new levels of power, meet emissions regulations and reduce CO2 emissions. They are fitted with a catalysed diesel particulate filter as standard and are now compatible with 10 per cent biodiesel rather than 5 per cent.

As an addition to the Freelander 2 range, Land Rover will also offer customers a 2WD derivative, available in the UK from January 2011. This will be called the Freelander 2 eD4 and it will be the most efficient Land Rover ever produced, with fuel consumption of 47.2mpg combined, and CO2 emissions of just 158g/km.

"The new Freelander 2 eD4 moves Land Rover into the hugely popular and fiercely contested two wheel-drive SUV market," said Land Rover managing director Phil Popham. "The European market for two-wheel drive SUVs represents 23 percent of the segment and we intend to compete strongly here.

"A 2WD option is just one way in which we are developing our vehicles' efficiency whilst adding to the Land Rover range and expanding our appeal to a broader group of customers. We will continue to make the 'world's finest all-terrain vehicles' for those customers who require 4WD but will also now offer an alternative."

This groundbreaking Freelander 2 eD4 is powered by the new 2.2-litre turbo diesel engine, delivering 150PS. It is only available with a six-speed manual transmission featuring Stop/Start technology as standard.

The exterior of the latest Freelander 2 gets a new look for 2011. Marked out by a new front bumper assembly incorporating new front fog lap bezels, a new front grille finish, improved headlights and tail lamps, new full width tailgate appliqué and new 18- or 19-inch alloy wheel styles. There are also three new colour schemes for 2011 Kosrae Green, Baltic Blue and Fuji White.

Inside the cabin, Land Rover's design team have revised the instrument dials, and there are four new seat styles with the option of a Premium Pack that includes Windsor Leather upholstery, an 8/6 way electric seat, plus premium carpet mats and covered centre stowage.

More refined 150PS TD4 and 190PS SD4 with four-wheel drive

The upgraded direct injection turbo diesel is available in two forms - 150PS on the TD4, and 190PS on the SD4. Both produce 20Nm more torque than the outgoing model increasing to a substantial 420Nm for punchy, refined performance. As well as being upgraded from EU4 to EU5, both versions have a new variable geometry turbocharger and are re-calibrated from scratch to deliver the new levels of power, meet emissions regulations and reduce CO2. Both the 150PS and 190PS versions of the engine are equipped with a catalysed diesel particulate filter (CDPF) as standard. This enables higher levels of EGR, reducing NOx by 28 per cent, while reducing particulate matter (PM) by 80 percent. The use of an Intelligent Power Management System (IPMS) provides 'smart charging' of the battery by recovering kinetic energy when the vehicle is slowing wherever possible, rather than consuming fuel by charging when the vehicle is accelerating.

Developed especially for this engine, the new variable geometry turbocharger is now water-cooled enabling it to run at a higher temperature thus enabling higher levels of emissions, power and torque. The engine has also been fitted with a new, more powerful ECU to handle the increased emissions requirements. A new fabricated steel exhaust manifold replaces the previous cast-iron component for improved efficiency and the EGR system capacity has been increased to meet the extremely low levels of NOx required for EU5. The engine is fitted with a common rail system with fuel delivered by high-speed piezo injectors.

For the first time, the Freelander 2 diesel powertrains are compatible with 10 percent biodiesel rather than five percent. The piston rings have been revised to reduce friction. The main bearings have also been improved in line with the additional power and torque and the engine sump has been fitted with a cover to reduce radiated noise from the bottom of the engine.

The engine cover is made from materials which can be recycled at the end of the vehicle's life. The front timing cover has been re-designed with extra ribbing to reduce radiated noise. The package of NVH improvements is completed by the addition of an 'injector sock', a soft rubberised layer fitted on top of the engine and beneath the engine cover to absorb injector noise. A new sensor located in the exhaust manifold enables more accurate monitoring of internal turbocharger temperatures. Greater accuracy given by the new sensor system allows the functionality of the turbocharger to be further exploited to improve efficiency without compromising robustness.

These improvements make a substantial difference to refinement and economy and the measures to reduce radiated noise combine to reduce engine noise levels by a substantial 2db. The CO2 emissions of the 150PS Freelander 2.2-litre diesel manual is now 165g/km and 185g/km for both the 150PS TD4 and 190PS SD4 automatics, a reduction of 8 percent and 14 percent respectively. Correspondingly, fuel consumption of the 150PS Freelander TD4 manual has improved by 9 percent to 45.6mpg. The 150PS Freelander TD4 and 190PS Freelander SD4 automatics share the same figures again at 40.4mpg, an improvement of 14 percent.

Despite the reductions in consumption and emissions, there's been no compromise in performance. The 150PS Freelander TD4 manual and automatic, accelerate from rest to 60mph in 10.9 and 10.5 seconds, matching their predecessor. The 190PS Freelander SD4 automatic completes the same task in 8.7 seconds. The top speed of the both manual and automatic Freelander TD4 also remains unchanged at 112mph, while the Freelander SD4 automatic can reach 118mph. Diesel models have also been fitted with a fuel tank mis-fuelling device as standard to prevent drivers accidentally filling up with petrol.

Freelander eD4

Perhaps it is not so surprising that Land Rover should begin production of such an exciting new model as the Freelander eD4. The European market for two-wheel drive SUVs has never been better taking a healthy 23 percent of the segment. So now, buyers who want Land Rover style, the Land Rover Command Driving Position, generous interior space and a 2000kg braked towing capacity, but don't need four wheel-drive, have the perfect answer in the Freelander eD4. It has the lowest CO2 emissions of any Land Rover in the history of the company at an impressive 158g/km.

The drivetrain of the Freelander eD4 is based on existing four-wheel drive system, but the new EU5, 2.2-litre 150 PS turbo diesel engine - available on the eD4 model - drives the front wheels only through the existing six-speed manual gearbox. At the front, a new jackshaft and bracket replaces the PTU, transmitting drive to the left-hand driveshaft.

In total, the revisions have reduced the weight of the eD4 by a substantial 75kg. Because of the mechanical changes, it's also been necessary to modify software. The Slip Control System (SCS) has been optimised to suit the front wheel-drive system and the Roll Stability Control (SCS) software has also been re-tuned to account for the weight reduction.

The combination of the new 150PS diesel engine, Stop/Start and the reduction in weight means the eD4 achieves an impressive 47.2mpg (manufacturers estimate) on the combined cycle with CO2 emissions of 158g/km. This represents a reduction in CO2 compared to the outgoing TD4_e of 11.7 percent. Despite the reduction in emissions, performance of the eD4 remains unchanged from that of the previous model TD4. Like the four wheel-drive diesel models, torque has risen to 420Nm for 2011 with a top speed of 112mph and a 0-60mph time of 10.9 seconds.

Stop/Start as standard on diesel manuals

All manual diesel models are equipped with Land Rover's acclaimed Stop/Start technology, the first such system ever to be fitted to an SUV. The system closely controls throttle closing, ramps down fuelling and turns off the alternator to ensure the engine stops smoothly. A detailed software strategy combined with the Freelander 2's optimised engine mounting system ensures an equally smooth re-start. As before, the starter's mechanical components have been upgraded to ensure durability throughout the life of the vehicle. This includes the use of a heavy duty ring-gear, new dual mass flywheel friction control plate, absorption glass mat battery and uprated starter motor.

The intelligent Start/Stop system has been further enhanced for 2011 with a bi-directional crank sensor and trigger wheel. This enables the system to establish the crankshaft position more quickly which in turn reduces the crank time from 900ms to less than 700ms, an improvement of 30 percent. The 'real world' result experienced by the driver is improved sound quality and a noticeably quicker response. The lowest temperature at which the system can operate is now reduced from 4°C to 0°C.

Revised transmissions boost efficiency

A second generation Asin Warner AWF21 automatic transmission helps improve efficiency and emissions with a number of improvements. The Torque converter lock-up works over a wider range improving comfort, fuel economy and driveability, while optimisation of internal components reduces weight and inertia for faster shifting. The gear train has been improved with low drag torque friction plates, taper roller bearings and optimised components for greater efficiency. Transmission efficiency is also improved by a switch to low viscosity automatic transmission fluid, while the new control system is faster and has been reduced in weight.

The most significant change is the advanced neutral control logic which reduces drag when the vehicle is stationary, the engine at idle and Drive selected. While not actually selecting neutral, drive load is substantially reduced to save fuel and improve refinement. The calibration of the transmission has been revised by Land Rover engineers to reduce torque converter slip. It retains Land Rover's Terrain Response features, CommandShift® and adaptive shifting and is available on the TD4 and SD4 Freelanders but not the two-wheel drive eD4.

The many functions of Terrain Response are underpinned by the high levels of body stiffness which provide the best foundation for excellent ride and handling characteristics as well as off-road performance. A structural undertray on the front sub-frame improves steering precision as well as protecting the underside of the vehicle and four point engine mounting aids engine stability and improves refinement.

The Getrag M66 six-speed manual gearbox, especially developed for the Freelander 2 is retained for the eD4 and TD4. A robust, compact, four-shaft design, power is transmitted via a self-adjusting cable-actuated clutch as before.

Design enhancements both inside and out

The exterior of the Freelander 2 gets a new look for 2011 with a new front bumper assembly incorporating new front fog lamp bezels. There's a new front grille in two finishes, Dark Finish for the 150PS TD4 and Bright Finish for the 190PS diesel. The Halogen projector headlamps are new, as are the rear tail lamps which now have a clear inner lens and a black lens surround for greater definition. The tailgate handle is now finished in body colour and the full width signature strip is finished in Noble. SD4 models are further differentiated by Oberon painted door handles, body-coloured mirrors, power wash jets and lower body panels. Door mirrors now have a 10 percent larger glass area and to really set off the fresh styling there are also new 18" and 19" alloy wheel styles to choose from. The choice of colours has changed for 2011 too, with the addition of Kosrae Green, Baltic Blue and Fuji White.

In the cabin, there are four new contemporary seat styles offering a greater range of choice. Covered with stylish new Tofino or Resolve cloth fabrics, Napoli leather, a combination of Napoli leather and Alcantara, or Windsor leather for the Premium Pack, these four new styles differentiate between trim levels. There's a choice of manual, 6/4-way electric adjustment and 8/6-way electric adjustment for the Premium Pack seats.

New colourways compliment the revised upholstery design with Ebony, Tan and Ivory and there are matching door casings in Ebony with Ivory stitching and Ebony with Tan contrast stitching. Four new fascia finishers come in either Element Silver, Element Black, Dark Chestnut and Piano Black lacquered finish. This lacquered Piano Black theme is also carried over onto the steering wheel switchpack.

At the high end of the option range, there's a new Premium Pack option with Windsor Leather upholstery in Ebony, Almond, Ivory or Tan colourways. The Pack includes the luxurious 8/6 way electric seat plus premium carpet mats and covered centre stowage. All 2011 Freelander 2s will benefit from a clear and contemporary new instrument pack too.

The Freelander 2 provides the safest possible environment for occupants. The Command Driving Position provides good visibility of all four corners of the vehicle and narrow A-pillars ensure that forward visibility is not compromised. There are seven airbags: two curtain, two front, two thorax and a driver's knee bag as standard. The transverse engine mounting not only frees up interior space but offers impressive crash performance, helping the Freelander 2 achieve a 5 star Euro NCAP rating for adult occupant protection.

As with all Land Rovers, the Freelander is rigorously tested worldwide in the UK, USA, Middle East, Australia and Russia in temperatures ranging from -40°C to +50C° and up to 95 percent humidity. The Freelander is also tested at altitudes of up to 4,000m.

The 4WD TD4 and SD4 models are on sale in the UK from the end of September. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #304003 7th Aug 2016 11:34 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Interesting, but it still seems odd that this feature is not detectable in use! The mention of top speed of 118 mph is also odd - I'm sure I've read that the SD4 top speed is 130 - mine will certainly do an indicated 130 (well - it has done once!). Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #304030 7th Aug 2016 9:31 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

......and in my private drive officer! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #304045 7th Aug 2016 11:14 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Heh Heh! It was on an empty Autobahn a week after I bought the car. Fun but I think an Audi or similar might have been a bit more stable! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #304070 8th Aug 2016 10:13 am
Nick42

Quote:
Interesting, but it still seems odd that this feature is not detectable in use!

My memory of previous autos I have owned is that if you come to a stop and then shift to neutral there is a noticeable increase in revs as the transmission disengages, doesn't happen in the Freelander so I guess its already disengaged by that point.

Post #304073 8th Aug 2016 11:04 am
Stuartc

It disengaged when coming to a coast.
Then re engages as soon as you release foot brake. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #304075 8th Aug 2016 11:20 am
jubdad

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Could it also be the ECU maintaining idle speed with no accelerator input?

Post #304079 8th Aug 2016 11:53 am
Stuartc

The idle never changes, it's a steady constant.
When you release foot brake you feel the drive take up with no change in rpm.
It's quite seamless in its operation. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate