Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Detachable towball clunk (FIX NOW AVAILIBLE)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 9 <123456789
Print this entire topic · 
NLRU01

[quote="alans835"]....... If anyone has a witter or westfallia fitted to a sport/dynamic would be greatfull of a picture to see what it will look like.[/quote]

Westfalia definitely needs a cut out on the standard bumper so unlikely to meet your criteria. Witter doesn't need a cut out on standard but no idea about sport.

Post #264043 17th May 2015 7:51 pm
alans835

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

Thats grand thanks folks. You have no idea how long i have spent searching the web for some sort of pics for referemce. Bob i know i put this post in another section but i figured that i might get some more response in the technical one didnt see the harm tbh. I aprreciate your comments and warning on the brink one hence my repost somewhere else to see what folk have used instead. Regards

Alan

Post #264049 17th May 2015 8:31 pm
nutts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

My detachable ball and received was changed yesterday under warranty. It's good and tight now but it slightly worried me before. I won't have the tin box on again till next March so won't be able to try it properly but have every confidence! Thumbs Up

Post #283398 4th Dec 2015 1:39 am
nutts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

My Thule / Land Rover one was exactly the same. As it is still under warranty I tackled the dealer in East Lancashire who denied that they had heard of any problems. That proceeded to order in a complete bar!
I suggested that probably only the cassette/ received+ the detachable swan neck was necessary to replace but they weren't sure.
It went in for the job doing and guess what and thankfully only those two peaces were replaced!
All should be ok now but have not had the van on since so fingers crossed. Just to clean the ball and the better weather to arrive hopefully now!

Post #286762 10th Jan 2016 11:59 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Fixed bar definitely the way to go. I'd never consider a removable tow bar on any car. I dont find them so offensive that I need to hide the fact that I tow a caravan in the boot. And Ive been rear ended a few times where the tow bar has protected my car, same cant be said for the offending vehicles though! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #338830 7th Jan 2018 4:05 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Only just noticed this week that my detachable ball is very loose in it's receiver. You can shake it side to side as well as up and down.
Done a fair bit of towing recently, and experienced quite a lot of noise coming from the towbar region.
I never detach my towball anyway - indeed it was stuck in there and I couldn't remove it. Not so now.
I shall be changing it for a fixed version asap.
It's been fitted to all three of my Freelanders, so I think I've had my money's worth out of it.

Post #395343 11th Aug 2020 10:26 am
Bothy Bob

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Aintree Green

Is the receiver part of the towbar or a separate unit, LR Perth has quoted me £380+VAT for replacement detachable towball

Post #421211 13th May 2022 8:34 pm
Bothy Bob

2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Aintree Green

If I decided to go down the fixed towball route do I have to replace the whole towbar?

Post #421269 15th May 2022 9:52 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

In reply to bobupndown, I have to add that a tow bar may not protect you in a collision from behind. When hit at traffic jam speed, the tow bar on our Peugeot 206SW just folded up the rear of the car effectively writing it off.

Post #421280 15th May 2022 11:19 am
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Bothy Bob wrote:
If I decided to go down the fixed towball route do I have to replace the whole towbar?

I am about to undertake the task of replacing my detachable today and possibly tomorrow and the day after that 😫😂 To be honest I’m not looking forward to doing it but must be done. Over the last few days away towing the caravan there has been a very worrying deterioration in the play and knocking noise coming from the tow bar.
I have the old Thule/Brink detachable which has been fine so far but have to bite the bullet. Bought a Witter from PF JONES at half the price of getting one fitted which turned out to be a tow bar I don’t know anything about.

My plan is to just replace the bar as the rest looks ok, probably the easiest option but if there’s a lot of banging and thumping I’ll replace the lot. Thankfully the thankful task of replacing electrics won’t be an issue.

Would appreciate any hints and tips from the collective as I am guessing it would come off as easy as it went on.

Stephen

Post #423909 5th Aug 2022 6:22 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I think how easy it comes off rather depends on whether the original installer bothered to grease or Waxoil the bolts. Garages don't because time is money.
I installed my Witter and have used the same towbar on all 3 of my Fl2s - but I'm a Waxoil fan.
The towbar lost its original powder coating and so I had it dipped and then I painted it. Jules

Post #423913 5th Aug 2022 7:55 am
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

It didn't come off that easy unfortunately. All of the bolts were very badly rusted which actually ruined my good 17mm socket. Glad it wasn't the bolt head though. It did take me most of the day although I certainly didn't rush it. Last time I took the front bumper off I had a 10mm bolt left over Laughing It is strangely satisfying to have achieved something I thought I was never capable of doing.

This forum has helped me out in so many ways. There's an awful lot of knowledge here.

Post #423923 5th Aug 2022 4:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 9 <123456789