Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Been in to order a new car!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Been in to order a new car!

Me and the Mrs went in to order a new Discovery Sport TD4 180 HSE Luxury today (Auto).

Corris grey with privacy, Ivory leather and a few other options. Figures all stacked up OK (Good discount considering it's a relatively new model).

I have driven one, but this is the first time I have had a proper drive with a view to buying.
Came back to the show room, and decided against it. I am really disappointed with what Land Rover have done.

I have always been a supporter of what Land Rover are trying to achieve with their new models and styling direction. But as I was really looking this time with a view to buying, it made me aware of a few things.

I have no problem with the outside of the car and how it looks, I think this is a step forward over the Freelander and looks more modern.

But what have they done with the interior. I didn't really take much notice before, but the fit and finish is not what I would expect for a car that is going to cost me the best side of £46k. The clever rear (middle) seat is all well and good, but the amount of plastic and metal fittings on show is appalling. The centre console is cheap and nasty. The sales guy said that LR were looking to do a more utilitarian look to it, but they have failed. It looks cheap.

My wife really didn't like how low you felt when sitting in it and the dash being so high. The design is not bad but it's the first time I really felt low down when driving it. It felt more like a car. Don't get me wrong, it drove really really well and would 'out drive' the Freelander any day of the week. But that's not the reason we want an SUV.

So much to the sales guys supprise, I said I would not be ordering one. It wasn't until we got back in the Freelander, with that high up seating position that we felt let down by the Disco Sport.

So we are either going to keep this one for another 2-3 years, or hunt out one of the last Freelander 2 Metropolis's next year.

Very disappointed. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #282165 24th Nov 2015 7:31 pm
PR

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Interesting comments! I went to buy one and the service manager, a good friend, told me to forget it! Come back in a years time when all the niggling faults have been sorted!
Took his advice! 1998 300TDi Auto Disco, never to be forgotten.
2008 Auto TD4 Freelander2, now gone?
2013 Auto SD4 Freelander!
A proud member of Landytown.com
Visit our blog at
http://paullizlifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com/ updated October 2017

Post #282167 24th Nov 2015 8:05 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

My sister has just bought a new Evoque instead of the DS, she didnt like the look of the DS inside as much as the Evoque, she previously had a FL2,
i asked do you sit lower in the Evoque and she said no its the same as the FL2
The DS looks around the same from outside i thought, so its lower than it looks?
Do the seats have height adjustment or does that not make up for the lack of height when seated?
I know the FL2 always used to have what they called their Command Driving Position, so with the DS then you no longer get that Command Feeling?
I suppose i should go and check them out myself really.

Post #282170 24th Nov 2015 8:36 pm
Mav71

PR wrote:
Interesting comments! I went to buy one and the service manager, a good friend, told me to forget it! Come back in a years time when all the niggling faults have been sorted!
Took his advice!

My issue wasn't with any potential niggles, it was the interior design and lower driving position that I didnt like.

I'll look again when they facelift it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #282172 24th Nov 2015 8:50 pm
Mav71

Landiroamer wrote:
My sister has just bought a new Evoque instead of the DS, she didnt like the look of the DS inside as much as the Evoque, she previously had a FL2,
i asked do you sit lower in the Evoque and she said no its the same as the FL2
The DS looks around the same from outside i thought, so its lower than it looks?
Do the seats have height adjustment or does that not make up for the lack of height when seated?
I know the FL2 always used to have what they called their Command Driving Position, so with the DS then you no longer get that Command Feeling?
I suppose i should go and check them out myself really.

The Evoque 100% has a lower driving position than the FL2. The reason being is that LR had to re-design the Suspension to accomodate the lower Roof line.

So the driving position is also considerably lower than FL2. DS is about the same as Evoque.

Neither of the new cars have the FL2 command driving postion which is a shame.

I think I would rather have the Evoque than the DS. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #282173 24th Nov 2015 8:53 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I had a DS as a courtesy car yesterday and felt the same. It felt like I was in a snug car (all very nice) but visibility was poorer and the rear window was tiny. I hadn't realised how much I love the driving position of the FL2 until I sat in that car yesterday. Thankfully got the FL2 back same day. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #282187 24th Nov 2015 11:04 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

You definitely sit lower in a DS, I am 5'6" and usually have my FL2 seat (mechanical in a GS) at full height. In a DS at full height I can not see front edge of bonnet. Evoque is same as FL2, a good commanding view of the road ahead. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #282193 25th Nov 2015 12:08 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I could have waited for the new DS but after spending more hours than I would like to admit crunching the numbers. I bought one of the last Freelanders I could get my hands on. I wanted petrol, white and light interior so I couldn't leave it too long. Very happy with the car and will keep it till it dies, or me! Being the last of a model run and a classic shape it's not going to age quickly.

The DS will probably look more out dated than the Freelander in another 5 years! The Freelander is a bit like the Disco, I actually still prefer the front of the D3, it looks better than the current updates and think it will look the part in another 2 decades followed by the Freelander.

I feel the Range Rovers, FF and Sport do seem to date a touch quicker but if I had the spare cash would get one instead! Very happy with what I have and have parted with enough dead money! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #282194 25th Nov 2015 12:13 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Agree with all comments, recently having an Evoque and DS i can
Confirm you step into not up when getting into and that was with seat fully adjusted up.
I'm hanging onto my MY15 Freelander 2. They're are already commanding stupid resale pricess here. I couldn't
Believe it when I had a look in the dealers yard.
How many people on here get lured away only to come back to FL2 ownership - to me there is already a trend! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #282199 25th Nov 2015 12:50 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

If it helps MAV71 then my Metropolis will be available around late February. Don't want to part with it but starting a new venture which means I need another vehicle & can't afford to have them both.

It is true re the resale of Metropolis. I've had a couple of dealers say to me they are pretty much the Cream Topping!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #282201 25th Nov 2015 1:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mav71

Thanks for the offer but it will be too early, and I won't have black again.

It does make me smile when dealers state that the Metropolis is the highest ever specification made, when it's identical to the HSE Lux! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #282235 25th Nov 2015 3:10 pm
j77

Scotland 

The Discovery Sport is crap, I should've listened to my doubts when I was on my test drive, too many corners been cut. The slide and recline seating is awful, that was the reason my one was delayed and upon delivery the rear seats rattled badly, B-pillar rattled, seat belts don't adjust for height, Incontrol touch is over complicated and a bit of a stretch to reach.

I've always refrained from saying which is better because both cars are completely different but the Freelander wins hands down. It's far superior on so many levels.

EDIT - Crap is perhaps a bit strong the DS does have some good points. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #282238 25th Nov 2015 4:31 pm
Mav71

You have no idea how much I wanted to disagree with you, but I can't!

It's frustrating that I would only have to borrow about £6k to buy this car, and here I am refusing to do it! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 25th Nov 2015 6:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #282253 25th Nov 2015 6:11 pm
Mav71

druand wrote:
You definitely sit lower in a DS, I am 5'6" and usually have my FL2 seat (mechanical in a GS) at full height. In a DS at full height I can not see front edge of bonnet. Evoque is same as FL2, a good commanding view of the road ahead.

Evoque doesn't have the same commanding driving position as the Freelander. It is a lot lower. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #282254 25th Nov 2015 6:11 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

We looked at the DS and Evoque, but decided to go for the Volvo xc60 which we are very happy with.

but out of all the cars we considered the FL2 has the best driving position.

unfortunately we only buy brand new so bye bye landrover Laughing

Iain

Post #282255 25th Nov 2015 6:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>