Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Nokian Weatherproof - Great performance but............
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Thanks for that Made in Wales, that is re-assuring.... shall await developments.

Post #276653 22nd Sep 2015 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Made in Wales

United Kingdom 

Tyres delivered to dealer today,fitted this afternoon so will post an update once I've scrubbed them in and done a few miles

Post #276774 24th Sep 2015 12:51 pm
dbg400

United Kingdom 

Another new forum member here, having found this thread after searching on the Nokian Weatherproofs. Other than the initial press release and copies of it elsewhere there's been virtually nothing on these tyres until the last few weeks.

I've had Nokian WR A3s as winter tyres for the last three years and was impressed enough with them to take a gamble on the Weatherproofs. That was hastened by an unrepairable puncture on tyres down to 3mm, so I had them fitted a month ago. I've done just over 1000 miles on them so far.

Initially they were a little noisy, but that wore off after around 150 miles. I had Dunlop SP01s previously, and they were a little more precise in hard cornering, but they grip well in the dry, and I've yet to notice any significant difference to the Dunlops. Wet grip and braking is a definite improvement, as you might expect from 'A' rated wet grip tyres. One unexpected side effect has been an slight increase in mpg over the Dunlops - only by 1 or so, but it's welcome all the same Smile

I ordered mine from Pneus Online, though Oponeo were a very similar price. UK suppliers either didn't have the size I needed (225/50/17s - it's a Yeti - or a DC100 lookalike if you prefer Smile ) or were quite a bit more pricey. This was back in August, so things might have changed with wider availability. I paid £95 a corner, though I suspect proper tyre sizes for the LR2 will be a tad more expensive!

Post #276794 24th Sep 2015 6:48 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Mine were from Oponeo, who I have ordered from before, and delivery was seamless - took 3 days.

Price was £106 each for the non-48 hr delivery (That cost an extra £3 each at the time).

Size that fits my 18" wheels is 235 / 60 / R18 107V.

Not had them fitted yet. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #276815 24th Sep 2015 10:07 pm
AW14

United Kingdom 

anyone taken these tyres off road?

I mainly go off road on muddy farm tracks, grassy fields and some sandy gravel surfaces.

Post #276821 24th Sep 2015 11:24 pm
Tradewind 35

Still no joy with Tyre Leader.co.uk . No tyres, no confirmation of order, no e mail explanation for non delivery, no response to an e mail to their parent HQ.
It is an outfit with a German HQ - CP REIFEN TRADING GMBH.
There is no contact information on the web site other than a "Support" box which goes nowhere. A check with the parent company in Germany states that the only way to contact them is by writing to an address in Germany.
I assume they simply do not have the tyres but took the money anyway. Grrrr...

Post #276824 25th Sep 2015 1:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Tradewind, get on to you're credit card company and lodge a complaint, they should be able to help. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #276832 25th Sep 2015 9:54 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

AW14 wrote:
anyone taken these tyres off road?

I mainly go off road on muddy farm tracks, grassy fields and some sandy gravel surfaces.

I would suspect that as they are made of silica compound (softer than rubber) and will offer good grip on most hard surfaces, though not on mud & grass etc ( for that you need a deep tread pattern) . Being softer they will most likely suffer more damage from stones etc when off road. MTPW. could be wrong.

I never take my winter tyres off road unless their is snow Smile

Gravel should not be an issue, its only when the gravel becomes larger sharp edged stones you may suffer.

edit: No mention of off road here, which kind of says it all.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-ar...g-comfort/ 

Post #276833 25th Sep 2015 10:11 am
Pedro

I searched online for 'tyreleader'+'oponeo' before placing my order. I found many car forum members complaining about 'tyre leader' service / after sales which is why I went with the latter. Best of luck ! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #276835 25th Sep 2015 10:55 am
Tradewind 35

Tyred out now, not tired.

New rubber is on - lovely tyres and at £96 a corner a good price but what a feeble support system Tyre Leader has. Still have yet to receive any order confirmation or message to say that they were on way. They actually came unannounced by Royal Mail so I wasn't in to get them and went to the Royal Mail depot expecting to collect a small packet!. No replies to three e mails to the German company so something to be desired in the customer service department.
But anyway, all is sort of forgiven and I am well shod.

I suspect these will rather good in the field and on the slipway for boat work as quite aggressive tread pattern but as has been said, not so good for rock hopping. Seem quiet on the road. Need to find a decent puddle to splash em in.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #276853 25th Sep 2015 2:47 pm
Pedro

That's great news.

The Auto Express all season test / review is now available on their website - Came 1st IIRC for water, slush, rain and snow Thumbs Up FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #276854 25th Sep 2015 2:55 pm
taztastic

England 

Whoever put that balance weight on wants clubbing Rolling Eyes

Post #276865 25th Sep 2015 6:09 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

Whoever put that balance weight on wants clubbing Rolling Eyes

couldn't agree more, if the wheel really needs the weight on the outside, then something is seriously off. 

Post #276949 26th Sep 2015 8:33 pm
PeakWayfarer

United Kingdom 

Just put a set on my 2013 Freelander now winter wheels - so no doubt it will be the mildest winter on record.
Initial impressions very quiet compared with the Pirelli s they replaced

Post #278112 9th Oct 2015 12:15 pm
Bubbles

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

The tread pattern reminds me a bit of the Michelin M+S that used to be fitted to Defenders about 25 years ago - they were maybe a bit more of a zig zag pattern but the Weatherproofs look like they would be Ok for a bit of light offroad. Last time I looked Oponeo had them for £100 in 235/65/17 - the price seems to fluctuate daily by a couple of quid.

Might look at getting some - my Conti Cross Contact are down to around 4-5 mm after 28K so about time to change with winter supposedly on its way! FL No 1 - 2012 (MY2011) XS manual Firenze Red - Gone
FL No 2 - 2012 (MY2012) XS manual Barolo Black - SWMBO wanted one too!
FL No 3 -2013 XS SD4 Auto Santorini Black
Series III SWB Hardtop - long gone
110 CSW V8 - long gone
Discovery 1 200Tdi - long gone

Post #278445 14th Oct 2015 10:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>