Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Towing electrics.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Towing electrics.

Read quite a few articles here regarding towbar electrics. Am considering a FL2 to use as a caravan lugger. Now the electrics seem confusing at best. For a DIY job do I get the dedicated wiring setup? and If I do is it easy to fit? And does it need a visit to the dealer to sort out the reversing sensor problem?
And am I right in thinking without any software change all that happens is the sensor goes off only when the gearbox is in reverse. If this is the case why bother with a dedicated wiring setup in the first place?
Hope you have understood my question, I am not sure I have Laughing

Post #264687 24th May 2015 9:37 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

What year is your car? Up to I think MY12 the electrics are almost plug & play but need activating to get full functionality. Later cars are purely plug & play. Both sets are easily DIY but earlier cars need need to after installation. The two sets are not interchangeable.

Benefits include ease of installation, no cutting into existing car loom, no separate bypass relay and no add on indicator beeper device is needed.

Apart from enabling the dashboard trailer indicator warning lamp, modifying the behaviour of fog lights and reversing sensors, dedicated wiring modifies gearbox behaviour on automatic cars. Probably does some other stuff like trailer stability programme (on later cars).

If your car is earlier than 2012, see my for sale thread - perfect set for sale there. If 2012 or later, I just bought a set from my dealer for £101.xx inc vat using loyalty card (10% off).

Post #264690 24th May 2015 10:02 pm
paulyp

Hi, sorry to hijack thread here, but seems along the same lines. I've just attached a witter towbar, and have the electrics to connect. Can see where it all goes, but ive been advised I should disconnect the batter before connecting the electrics? Is this necessary? It's an MY13.

Thanks!! Toyota Rav4 2.0
Mazda 323F 1.6
Mitsubishi Space Star 1.1
Mercedes CLK 2.7
Mercedes ML230 CDI
Mercedes C-Class 1.8 Classic
Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE my13

Post #264850 26th May 2015 10:51 am
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Just checked my LR fitting instructions for part VPLFT0106 13 pin electrics for 2012> cars...

Nowhere is there any reference to anything going under the bonnet or the to the battery, either textual or pictorial so Land Rover appear to think that disconnection isn't necessary. I imagine the car won't actually see it until the first time the ignition is switched on.

I disconnected my pre 2012 electrics without disconnecting the battery with no problem other than the expected Parking Sensors being disabled. Anyone in Essex (Stansted Airport area) able to de-activate towbar electrics and re-enable parking sensors without costing me my first born ???

I will fit the 2013 electrics with battery connected - probably.

Post #264868 26th May 2015 2:05 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Just about everyone these days suggests disconnecting the battery, elf and safety and all that, just waiting to see it stated when you change a headlight lamp. Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #264884 26th May 2015 5:00 pm
paulyp

Thanks again guys - gonna just plug & play Very Happy Toyota Rav4 2.0
Mazda 323F 1.6
Mitsubishi Space Star 1.1
Mercedes CLK 2.7
Mercedes ML230 CDI
Mercedes C-Class 1.8 Classic
Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE my13

Post #264922 26th May 2015 11:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1