« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Towing in Sixth
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Spatch

England 
Towing in Sixth

A quick question for manual Freelander owners. Do any of you tow on motorways (at 60mph) in sixth or do you find this gear too high?

I have tried this and found there is quite a lot of tingly vibrations through the seat making it quite uncomfortable. Therefore, I tend to only tow the caravan in fifth on the motorway.

Would be interested in your experiences.

Post #261490 23rd Apr 2015 7:01 pm
lol geoff

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Can't say I've had any problems pulling approx 1 3/4 tonne of trailer and horse.

Post #261500 23rd Apr 2015 7:51 pm
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Van is only MTPLM 1275kgs but well loaded with kit and no probs in 6th unless it's a big hill

Post #261510 23rd Apr 2015 9:08 pm
Spatch

England 

Thanks for your replies. So obviously you do not feel any vibrations in 6th at 60mph.

I assume, IDL, the only problem with the hills you mention is that it runs out of puff?

Post #261515 23rd Apr 2015 9:41 pm
IDL

I often use cruise control set to 60 when towing on the motorway. If speed drops more than a couple of mph on a hill I know I need to drop down to 5th as it's not got the torque to pull it.

It's actually more to do with torque than road speed. Below 2000 rpm torque drops away pretty quickly, so you may find that you have the torque you need in 6th if you up your speed a notch, but then you'll probably pay for it on fuel consumption.

What are you towing?

Post #261544 24th Apr 2015 8:19 am
Dartman the one

England 

Max torque is at 1750rpm, you should have plenty at 60mph as it is just over 1800rpm. even my auto changes into top at about 55mph when towing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #261558 24th Apr 2015 9:04 am
Spatch

England 

IDL wrote:
I often use cruise control set to 60 when towing on the motorway. If speed drops more than a couple of mph on a hill I know I need to drop down to 5th as it's not got the torque to pull it.

It's actually more to do with torque than road speed. Below 2000 rpm torque drops away pretty quickly, so you may find that you have the torque you need in 6th if you up your speed a notch, but then you'll probably pay for it on fuel consumption.

What are you towing?

Yes, its not the torque that is the problem, its the tingling/vibration that we feel when towing in 6th at 60mph, or there abouts. The torque is there but when you put your foot down to generate the required torque to tow we also get this vibration, and it is this vibration which is stopping me from towing in 6th. I am trying to see if others experience this, which would indicate that it is trait of the engine/mountings/drive train (if it is a trait then the design/product testing is a bit crap).

I used to tow with an S Max and although a great engine, it didn't quite have the torque to pull in 6th properly, but it was always smooth!

Interestingly, I also get a slight judder from the clutch when initially engaging (most notably) 1st to 2nd when towing. Not noticeable really when solo. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the vibration!

We have a Bailey Provence which is about 1500KG MTPLM.

Cheers, BMW X3 30d M Sport - Current (problem free)
2014 SD4 Auto HSE Lux - Gone (too many problems)
2012 TD4 Manual XS - Gone (too many problems)

Post #261561 24th Apr 2015 9:15 am
IDL

No, I don't get the vibration that you describe.

Post #261576 24th Apr 2015 10:21 am
Dartman the one

England 

The quote when you put your foot down, you can't, you can gently increase the throttle but that's about all. With the auto in command drive it will still kick down if too much throttle is used, it may well be that is why many who tow go for autos, so easy so smooth, my previous Santa Fe had a power box fitted to overcome the problem you are experiencing, it increased torque at lower rpm, it did help but it was geared the same as FL2 in 5th Very Happy my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #261591 24th Apr 2015 11:46 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

me neither

Post #261592 24th Apr 2015 11:47 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

May I risk being a bit technical ?
Speaking mechanical engineering there is a scientific formula.
BP = T x (omega)
In laymans it means that power is equal to the torque multiplied by the number of rotations per minute of the engine.
It's probable in 6th that you are not producing enough consistent power hence the car telling you it's not happy, the turbo probably isn't at optimum speed for the load.
There is nothing wrong in being in fifth at 60 it the whole setup runs smooth.
If you could do identical runs to make a comparison you would probably find that you are using less fuel in fifth.
When towing in Cornwall I often use master shift on the big hills to keep the engine 'on song'.
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #261684 25th Apr 2015 9:49 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When towing I tend to drive on the rev counter rather than the speedo. Revs should be kept in the 1800 to 2000 band to benefit most from the excellent torque (which is exceptional for a small diesel). Below 1700 you will struggle as the torque falls off a cliff, go much above 2000 and you will start to use fuel. With my auto it is reluctant to change up to 6th until at least 62mph indicated. If you then settle at the legal 60 mph you will feel it beginning to vibrate/shudder if you go any slower, indicating it would prefer 5th. In practice, I tend to use 5th mainly in UK, achieving around 22mpg (towing 1450kg). In France, higher speeds are permitted, so 6th can be used in cruise, although consumption can reduce to 19mpg. I previously had a manual SE which gave similar results, but with fuel consumption about 3mpg better. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #261705 25th Apr 2015 2:31 pm
Spatch

England 

Hi Fred,

Technical is fine. You may well be right that I may be using less fuel in 5th as the engine is rotating quicker but with less throttle. I have no issue with running in 5th as I did with the SMax.

However, as others have commented peak torque would be around 60mph in top so this is exactly where you would have the engine speed for max pull, so really shouldn't be exhibiting vibrations.

I am getting a vibration in 6th and the reason I started the thread was to see if others felt the same thing. In my opinion, the vibtation is not right. If all were experiencing vibration then maybe it was a trait of the car.

Regarding the SMax, it didn't pull hard enough in 6th to tow a caravan but it never vibrated, just didn't have the torque.

I have only just bought the car and have the 2yr full warranty so want to get this resolved if, indeed, I have a problem.

The slightly juddery clutch may also have something to do with it. Dodgy DMF?

Cheers BMW X3 30d M Sport - Current (problem free)
2014 SD4 Auto HSE Lux - Gone (too many problems)
2012 TD4 Manual XS - Gone (too many problems)

Post #261708 25th Apr 2015 2:44 pm
alans835

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

Not sure if this would help, but I have heard a lot of people raving about this terraclean stuff they run through your engine it's supposed to clean it out and improves performance and fuel consumption. I think it's about £100 to get done I suppose it acts like a spring clean for your engine. Might be worth a try. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem. Regards

Alan

Post #263833 15th May 2015 1:37 pm
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

I agree with others who tow using the Revs gauge rather than the speedo.
Keeping in the 1800 - 2100 range ( generally in 5th) works for me but using 6th on some down hill sections but being careful not to go too fast as the van will try and overtake the car!
Some in the forum bang on about "knocking on" over 70mph " - I would not advise it.
Can't say I notice any vibration other than when I have failed to change down and the engine starts to labour. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #265607 2nd Jun 2015 6:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>