Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My 'new' 57 Freelander, before a few tweaks!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
b3nb123

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Indus Silver
My 'new' 57 Freelander, before a few tweaks!

Click image to enlarge

We just got this a week or two ago, and we're very happy with it.
It's an S, so actually more basic than expected, with regards to trip computers, stereo, even air-con seems a bit basic, however, it's primarily the wife's drive and she's really not bother ed about those things.
The previous owner did fit leather, colour-coded handles, mirror caps (Seems trimmed down some later model parts and stuck them on top!), colourcoded lower bumper trims (though annoyingly not the lower door trims!) and 18" Evoque wheels.

I find it a really nice drive, really wafts along without any effort, feels quite 'premium' to drive.
Only took about a day though to start noticing late-model Freel's and got the brain ticking over with modifications I'd like to do!!

What I have planned:

Remove the 'S' on the boot!!
Facelift bumper (I have this in my garage, £135 from ebay, great condition, however not the right silver, so about to be repainted!)
Colour-coded lower door trims
C-pillar vinyl for the floating-roof look
White side repeaters, chrome front and side indicator bulbs (On a silver the orange tinge really stands out)
Facelift boot handle
Rear window tints (Our last car had OEM sun blinds, we'd be happy with them too)

At this point I'm happy with the old style headlamps, maybe somewhere down the line I'll have a think about changing them, the bumper and colour-coded side trims are the biggest change to me and I'm really excited about getting that done!

Seems a nice forum, look forward to becoming active here!

Post #258256 25th Mar 2015 11:28 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Nice car, looking forward to seeing your progress. Welcome Thumbs Up

Post #258264 26th Mar 2015 7:42 am
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up

Post #258265 26th Mar 2015 8:17 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

What mileage? We had a couple of "S" FL2s and I would have been happy to get another (lower spec car is always the best value and you can always add to it) but they seem to have gone out of production fairly early on. I fitted rear reversing sensors to mine fed from the reversing light feed in the boot. Cost less than £15 off eBay at the time. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #258282 26th Mar 2015 10:43 am
b3nb123

Its on 71k miles.

I had cheapie ebay parking sensors on my last car, work absolutely fine - I've got two sets here for this, as the new front bumper I've got has sensor holes ready! Thinking the front one had better be switched though, may start beeping in traffic otherwise!

Post #258283 26th Mar 2015 10:49 am
V40TC

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

You can get a can bus control for the fronts
I fitted one to my s type switches them off above a certain mph and I fitted an override for when tight manoeuvring.

Post #258285 26th Mar 2015 10:54 am
b3nb123

That sounds good, but how would I go about doing that? Using an aftermarket set. Is there an aftermarket adapter?

Also, my new bumper has fog holes, but the car doesn't have front fogs at the moment. Don't suppose I'd be lucky enough to find the wiring already behind there would I ??!!
I'm thinking I'll fit fogs but not wire them in for the time being!!

Post #258286 26th Mar 2015 10:57 am
b3nb123

Bic to see yours in Silver too V40TC - Is that Zermatt Silver?
Basically how I hope to get mine to look (Minus the more modern headlights for now)

Post #258287 26th Mar 2015 10:59 am
b3nb123

Before resorting to the paintshop, I thought I'd have a bash at painting the front bumper myself. I know that sounds a bit like I'll cheapen the whole car, but it's inexpensive to try, perhaps £30, and the bumper doesn't owe me much.
If it goes horribly wrong, then I know where the nearest bodyshop is. I just quite like getting my hands dirty!

Here's the bumper after the metallic coats, before lacquer. I filled a few minor scuffs, didn't worry too much about the past numberplate screw holes, as it will always be covered, or have new holes made anyway!!

Post #258381 27th Mar 2015 11:56 am
b3nb123

Put enough lacquer on now I think, so removed the masking. That great feeling when you remove the tape and it suddenly looks complete (ish)
May fit it like this, wet-sand and flatten it once it's on the car (probably a good way of holding it still! Or may wait a while and only fit it once it's all together and polished.

Paint finish isn't too bad at all really, considering it was done with rattle-cans! Still need to wet-sand with 2000 grit, then buff with various compounds to bring out a shine, but that was to be expected.

Still waiting for fog surrounds to arrive, also need to modify my parking sensors to fit these holes, as they're too big. Carefulyl sawed the outer casing of one of the sensors and they'll fit OK without.

Post #258390 27th Mar 2015 2:16 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Just be aware that if you wanted to paint any of the grill, now's the time to do it.
eg, black spars and/or body coloured surround.

Looking good btw Thumbs Up

Post #258434 27th Mar 2015 7:29 pm
b3nb123

I really like the satin darker grey surround, I think along with the lights it's a nice contrast against the silver. Bright silver for the grille bars too is good as it's similar to the wheel colour. I know technically the silver is for the petrol modes (that's right isn't it?) But I'm not going for authenticity, I'm going for what I think looks nice!

Post #258441 27th Mar 2015 8:48 pm
b3nb123

Just to update - I painted the primer, colour and lacquer, and it's a bit of a matte finish, as to be expected from a rattle-can. A bit of wet sanding and it will gloss up fine... However the colour match is terrible! So I'm taking it to a bodyshop anyway! I didn't want to spend much doing the conversion, but for the difference it makes to a 2008 car, it's certainly still worth it!
I asked at a local spray shop, wanted £200 to spray the bumper, another £200 for the door sill trims! Crazy! I noticed another garage with spray facilities a few doors down on the same industrial estate, they said £130 the bumper, another £100 for the 4 sill trims. Much more like it! It pays to shop around!

Post #258953 31st Mar 2015 8:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1