« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Audio Upgrade - Midline System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
petrolhead

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey
Audio Upgrade - Midline System

In the next few days I am going to upgrade the audio sound in my XS Freelander as I have yet to see a thread dedicated to the FL2. It currently has the mid line system.

My intention is to run a JL Audio 4 channel amp http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/product/54216.465.../XD4004v2. I already have this from my last build in a BMW 1 series and bought it due to its small size.

I also have an Audison BIT TEN http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=42 with I will feed from the current amp that's located in the boot. This bit of kit, again from the 1 series, will clean up the signal from the stock amp. Then feed a clean signal to the JL Audio amp. The beauty of the BIT TEN is I will be able to tailor the sound to suit the FL2 and also use its sound delay feature to get the front staging right. This is something the stock system lacks and will also help improve the general sound as there is a multi channel equaliser.

AS for the speaker I will fit a set of Focal PS165s http://www.focal.com/en/expert/280-ps-165-3544052750119.html replacing the stock front speakers. I will leave the rear door speakers as it still being fed from the original amp just to give ambiance.

As for the sub I have yet to decide what to do. I do have a spare Alpine 10" sub and a mono Alpine amp so may build that into the rear of the vehicle somehow.

I need to get a 4 AWG power cable from the battery to the rear of the car and as yet not found a suitable hole in the front bulkhead so I may run the cable under the car and then up through a bung that's in the spear wheel well.

I have, so far, removed the two large rear panels in the back of the car which revealed the amp and phone module on the RHS and tow module on the LHS but as yet not decided where to fit the BIT TEN and amp.

Of course I will try to photograph as I go along.

Any thoughts or views greatfully accepted Smile

Post #253216 15th Feb 2015 11:22 am
petrolhead

Yesterday I made a start

I am going to try the std speakers first and if I don't like what I hear I may upgrade.

What's made the install a bit easier is the amp is in the rear of the car so this allows me to get an easy feed to the BIT TEN and then feed to the speakers from the JL Audio amp. I have just used bullet connectors but may source a decent connector plug

Interior stripped out. I used the existing bracket that holds the towing system box to mount the amp after fabrication an aluminium plate as the bracket was not big enough.

Click image to enlarge

Here you can see the amp and bit ten installed
Click image to enlarge

I decided to route the main power feed under the car, cable tied the power cable so its out of the way. This was done as it required less stripping of the vehicle and I could not find a suitable way in though the bulkhead
Click image to enlarge

Power cable coming up to the battery where I will also fit a suitable fuse. Battery needs a clean Smile
Click image to enlarge

At the back there was a well placed blanking plug in the body work allowing the power cable back into the vehicle.
Click image to enlarge

Speaker feed wires from the amp ready for new amp
Click image to enlarge

I have bought a couple of these which will make the install look more professional

I have made two wiring harnesses, one for the feed to the BIT TEN and the other from the new amp to the speakers
Click image to enlarge

I have already created a starting point for the BIT TEN
Click image to enlarge

While I was working my new armrest arrived . Very pleased with it and I think finished the interior
Click image to enlarge

So that's it for the mo.

Start the wiring today Smile[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #253522 17th Feb 2015 10:19 am
petrolhead

Update, I bought some Hertz HSK 165XL speakers and fitted them today.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I aslo bought some decent connectors

Click image to enlarge

How does it sound, much much better. The DSP helps with the imaging and the speakers are just fab.

Next will be a sub however I have run out of space so scratching my head at the mo

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #255161 28th Feb 2015 3:28 pm
Forty_two

England 

Interesting post.

I will be watching with interest how this pans out as I had always assumed the inbuilt systems could not be augmented.

i like the solution for running the power cable, but I would concerned the cable sheath may not stand up to an external installation, a visual inspection after a couple months is probably a good idea. You have a fuse close to the battery so no safety issues that I can see. Thumbs Up

Post #255200 1st Mar 2015 12:43 am
petrolhead

I spend yesterday fitting the other door speaker, much quicker jon and also installed the amp for the new sub

Photos to follow

Re protection I did think about proper plastic conduit

Post #255204 1st Mar 2015 7:51 am
A.Paaaho

Finland 

I just fitted new Rainbow speakers to front doors. Wiring diagram doesn't show that there are any crossovers in the old system and the signal just split to tweeter and woofer. I connected the new crossover input to the woofer line and found out there are crossovers in the old system. Does anyone know where those might be?

Post #255562 4th Mar 2015 10:14 am
petrolhead

Which OEM system do you have installed

Post #255563 4th Mar 2015 10:16 am
A.Paaaho

Finland 

I am not quite sure what it is but the car is 2007 SE model and the door speaker cover says alpine. Nothing those fancy dolby digital.

Post #255565 4th Mar 2015 10:19 am
petrolhead

Sounds like its the same as mine.

Probably easier if I pm my number as too much info

edit:language barrier prevented phone call hence answer below

Last edited by petrolhead on 4th Mar 2015 6:35 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #255567 4th Mar 2015 10:39 am
petrolhead

A.Paaaho wrote:
I just fitted new Rainbow speakers to front doors. Wiring diagram doesn't show that there are any crossovers in the old system and the signal just split to tweeter and woofer. I connected the new crossover input to the woofer line and found out there are crossovers in the old system. Does anyone know where those might be?

I assume your speakers are component?

Your amp is at the rear of the car, drivers side. The amp has separate feeds for the woofers in the doors and another feed that goes to the dash speaker and tweeter (If like mine you probably dont have the dash speakers) and I assume another feed to the sub next to the spare wheel.

The amp is equalized and feeds lower frequencies to the woofers and higher frequencies to the tweeters. The feed to the door woofers uses a band pass filter. The tweeter will get a high pass filtered signal and also have a capasitor in them and the sub a low pass filtered signal. I know this because before de-equalizing using the BI TTen, the door speakers lacked bass. As soon as I de-equalised, the bass was there to be heard. The BIT Ten actually told me the feed was equalised.

Now, if your using components and do not want to use a separate amp my advice would be not use the crossover and feed the woofer using the existing wires and the same for the tweeter.

Hope this helps and you understand my ramlings. Feel free to ask more questions

Post #255639 4th Mar 2015 6:33 pm
petrolhead

Re my system build. I have decided against solid conduit and it will hold moisture so will go with the splis type conduit.

Sorry re no photos as in my haste I re-assembled the driver side rear panel.

Still awiting the encosure for my Alpine sub

Post #255642 4th Mar 2015 6:41 pm
A.Paaaho

Finland 

I actually first wired tweeter and woofer to existing wires but the tweeter was way too loud. Couldn't adjust it to correct level with headunit so the first thing on my mind was that the new tweeter is more sensitive than old one. Can I reduce the volume of tweeter from amp without affecting woofer?

Post #255688 4th Mar 2015 10:12 pm
petrolhead

Well the std woofer is 2ohm but the std tweeter is about 3.5ohm

As for reducing the volume, try a 4ohm resistor soldered in series on the tweeter

Post #255691 4th Mar 2015 10:52 pm
Jaaph

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Concerning the wiring this is what I found after looking at multiple schematics. But I can be wrong!

On the non- premium system; the tweeter is paralleled with the mid range speaker in the same door. Which makes sense.
On the premium system ( different amp) the tweeter in the door is paralleled with the in the mid-range dash speaker on the same side. The door in that case, has a woofer ( not a mid- range) which has its own connection to the amplifier in the boot.

lookd like when going to premium, you get a two way speaker system in the front.
So Petrolhead is talking about the premium setup. Which is different from what A.Paaaho has which is non- premium.

Post #264781 25th May 2015 3:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1