Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sloshing noise from the tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
submarine

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I'll have a try tomorrow. I would have thought the same ad..., no space left for sloshing but will report back with what I find. I'll get under it before I go to see if there's any play with leverage... won't be till the afternoon though -the drink is free here Whistle

Post #255468 3rd Mar 2015 8:02 pm
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

taztastic wrote:
If the tank is full, I have heard this 'slapping' noise,

Mine does it too.... * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #255493 3rd Mar 2015 8:52 pm
trevorb1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

If you know how to provoke it you can hear it on alot of diesel vehicles, not just Land Rovers, worse on diesels than petrols due to density of fuel. Generally you cant compltely fill a fuel tank, there will always be some empty space, especially with saddle fuel tanks, its a question of getting the fuel level and braking right to set up the fuel sloshing back and forth worst on long flat underfloor tanks. Come Sept all new diesels will also be fitted with an additional tank for the urea system required to meet eu6 emissions, so yet another possible source of sloshing noise.

Post #255497 3rd Mar 2015 9:02 pm
ad210358

England 

I would have though the Ad Blue tank would be washer bottle size at most, even Heavies use about forty litres of it per thousand litres of diesel. I think some VW's use it now, they just top it up as part of the service.

As for September, I enquired with Renault recently regarding Euro 6, they won't be releasing what I wanted till mid 2016. Is it anything entered for Type Approval after September like it was with DRL's Question p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #255499 3rd Mar 2015 9:11 pm
trevorb1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

Eu6 applies to all new type approvals from Sept 2014 and all new registrations from Sept 2015, so your shiney new 65 plate diesel will be eu6.

Post #255507 3rd Mar 2015 9:34 pm
taztastic

England 

Mercedes Bluetec diesel cars also use this technology.
Not sure how it works and keeping it a service item seems a good idea, people still can't manage to get petrol and diesel right let alone another thing to fill up with catastrophic consequences if you get it wrong.
I can just imagine the bimbo, Penelope, filling the adBlue with screen-wash Laughing

Post #255508 3rd Mar 2015 9:40 pm
ad210358

England 

trevorb1 wrote:
Eu6 applies to all new type approvals from Sept 2014 and all new registrations from Sept 2015, so your shiney new 65 plate diesel will be eu6.

Only cars, Goods vehicles Class N1, 2 and 3's, they have twelve months grace, that's how Renault say they don't have to worry till September 2016. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #255511 3rd Mar 2015 10:05 pm
submarine

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Density will have a minimal effect if any, such a small volume, and not all of it will move. But interesting all the same. Tbh I lived with the rear diff whine for a good few thousand miles so not sure I'd pick up on this Very Happy but if I do from now on it's going to be really annoying and I place the blame squarely at the door of the OP Thumbs Up

Post #255520 3rd Mar 2015 10:18 pm
exbrat202

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

What does Urea do? we used to spread it on runways in the RAF as an anti ice protection like grit but it was in granular form which dissolved - jet engines don't like grit Crying or Very sad It was reputedly made from cow urine and high in nitrogen so had a misuse as fertiliser Wink MY14 TD4 manual XS Orkney grey.

MY11 TD4 Manual XS Lago Grey, privacy glass, rear spoiler, full ebony leather,rear seat entertainment. Gone
2001/51 plate Disco TD5 GS. Gone
95 N Disco TDi300. Gone

Post #255540 4th Mar 2015 12:31 am
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I'm a bit confused .... it's more knocking than slapping actually and I think (but not sure I have to double check) that this disappear when then tank is empty.

brake pads are new, les than 3000 km and the car has only 25 000 miles ..; a worn bush is improbable in my opinion but not impossible of course ...

and the knocking/slapping occurs twice when I stop the car, the second knocking is quieter than the first one ... as if the whole tank is moving back and forward under the weight of the fuel Whistle

Post #255541 4th Mar 2015 12:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12